PDA

View Full Version : Got motherboard back from RMA and it's still borked!

Roliath
09-14-05, 05:39 PM
:thumbdwn:
First of all Screw MSI, I'm done dealing with them I need a new SLI motherboard!

But let me tell you the problem, I sent my mobo into RMA because it stopped booting up in Dual Channel, and woudn't boot up with more than 512MB of memory installed. Than it stopped booting up at all!

So I sent it in RMA, they recieved it the 25 of August, I just got it today. I tried to email them to see what the exact problem was and never recieved an email back from them. Today I got all the components back together, along with the new ram (Crucial) I go to turn it on, and it turns on and doesn't get past the POST screen. I tried to go into the BIOS, and it just turns off.
It STILL will not boot up in Dual Channel, nor with 2 Dimms installed, so I guess they didn't fix my initial problem.

The RMA "invoice" has an Error Code of 998, and a repair code of U0H can any shed some light on this subject?

All in all, i'm done with MSI, **** em.

So I need a new nForce4 Mobo that overclocks well (don't want the DFI).
I'm soo pissed off right now!

jAkUp
09-14-05, 05:44 PM
Why don't you want the DFI? That is the best OC'ing board period. The MSI was next. Well, if you don't want the MSI or DFI, the ASUS Premium is your only other option.

Also, did you reset the CMOS on your MSI board after you received it yet?

Roliath
09-14-05, 05:47 PM
Why don't you want the DFI? That is the best OC'ing board period. The MSI was next. Well, if you don't want the MSI or DFI, the ASUS Premium is your only other option.

Also, did you reset the CMOS on your MSI board after you received it yet?
I reset the CMOS yes, Well I guess the DFI is always an option.
I need it here ASAP though!!!

J-Mag
09-14-05, 06:06 PM
Usually when you RMA something and still have the same problem it is due to another component.

Did you try the processor in another board? Your mem controller could be jacked.

Roliath
09-14-05, 06:12 PM
Jakup
which one of these would you recommend?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0&type=&description=DFI+nF4+SLI-DR&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=17&Go.y=31

Roliath
09-14-05, 06:12 PM
Usually when you RMA something and still have the same problem it is due to another component.

Did you try the processor in another board? Your mem controller could be jacked.

I'm going to try it out in another rig tonight.

Riptide
09-14-05, 06:39 PM
Wait so you have a new kit of RAM that hasn't been used? Could be a problem there. I've got two kits of defective memory, brand new OCZ EL, from newegg. Make sure you test that RAM out as well.

jAkUp
09-14-05, 06:43 PM
You don't really need the UT version, I have the UT, and its kinda a waste, it just comes with some extra front panel connectors and stuff. Meh, the DR is good enough (the middle one on that page) The last one is a refurb :D

Roliath
09-14-05, 07:54 PM
I have the 2x1GB of Crucial Ballistix and 4x512MB of Corsair XMS Pro, i tried to use both kits and I experience the problem with both kits.

I'm RMA'ing my CPU aswell, I just don't want to come into any issues when I recieve the DFI.

I'm still have my doubts though, I'm not sure if I should get the Asus A8N SLI Premium or the DFI SLI-DR

jAkUp
09-14-05, 07:59 PM
They are definetely both good boards. I think anandtech did a roundup of both of them. But if your looking for OC'ing, the DFI is better.

Roliath
09-14-05, 08:05 PM
Is the DFI better choice all around? I really don't want to have any of the issues with it.
Didn't you have the ASUS, jAkUp, why did you get the DFI instead?

jAkUp
09-14-05, 08:23 PM
I never had the Premium, but I did have the Deluxe. Basically, after a few months, my Deluxe died. Just stopped posting. The higest OC I got out of it was 2.4GHz. I was pretty upset so I got the DFI, and it overclocks amazing.

The Premium is much improved however in terms of OC'ing.

The DFI just has tons more voltage options, and divider settings. Like with my memory, it recommends 3.2v. Only the DFI allows 3.2v to the memory. Also, the CPU voltage options are very scalable. The Asus are somewhat limited.

This and my Abit IC7-G is the best motherboard I have ever owned.

Roliath
09-14-05, 08:26 PM
I'm about to hit submit order on the SLI-DR...
thanks jakup

jAkUp
09-14-05, 08:31 PM
Hey no prob man. I'm curious to see what kinda OC you get on that 3700+

Roliath
09-14-05, 08:36 PM
Hey no prob man. I'm curious to see what kinda OC you get on that 3700+
Me too, along with the Crucial Ballistix! It should be fun!

Hey when I get the DFI, what would be a good BIOS to try out?

jAkUp
09-14-05, 09:40 PM
I used to use the latest official... but everyone at bleeding edge forums was telling me to use this one here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.leach80/bios%20files/DFI%20bios%20mods/704-2BTA.zip

So I reflashed, but I have to wait for my memory to come back tommorrow to see the results. Supposly people are getting better memory OC's with it.

Hey man, check these forums out:
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/

Its all DFI enthusiast stuff :)

Roliath
09-14-05, 09:55 PM
I've been checking it out, i'm excited to finally get a gaming rig back up!
It's overwhelming with all the settings and such.
We'll see how it goes!