PDA

View Full Version : Did you know (about AMD's warranty)

Roliath
09-14-05, 09:04 PM
Today I called AMD inquiring about an RMA for my Sandy and he asked me if I was using a Third Party Heatsink and I was for about a day (today only) and he said using a third party heatsink voids the warranty for the CPU.
Just a little tid bit of info I thought I'd share with you guys.

CaptNKILL
09-14-05, 09:18 PM
Today I called AMD inquiring about an RMA for my Sandy and he asked me if I was using a Third Party Heatsink and I was for about a day (today only) and he said using a third party heatsink voids the warranty for the CPU.
Just a little tid bit of info I thought I'd share with you guys.
Thats why you tell them no :p

Roliath
09-14-05, 09:30 PM
haha, he still gave it to me, the RMA that is.

jAkUp
09-14-05, 09:37 PM
Yea, it voids the warranty. Bah, if you didn't damage the chip there is no way they could know :D

CaptNKILL
09-14-05, 09:46 PM
haha, he still gave it to me, the RMA that is.
Ah, sweet :)

I keep hearing good things about AMD in different areas... its good to hear they arent dicks when it comes to their warranties. I know plenty of companies that probably would have stopped responding to you if you said you used a 3rd party heatsink.

AMD rocks :)

TierMann
09-15-05, 12:00 AM
Kinda silly. So with that logic... If you have an OEM cpu and DON'T use a heatsink/fan at all and it burns out, then you can RMA it?

CaptNKILL
09-15-05, 12:28 AM
Kinda silly. So with that logic... If you have an OEM cpu and DON'T use a heatsink/fan at all and it burns out, then you can RMA it?
Heh heh, I dont know... why dont ya try it and tell us how it goes? ;)

FastM
09-15-05, 08:24 AM
OEM CPU's dont have warrenty

Every retail CPU package has a bar code on the CPU fan, which is associated with the CPU itself and both must be returned together for warrenty

Dazz
09-15-05, 08:57 AM
Yes i knew about that it's in with the certificate. OEM's do but only 30 days big diffrence from 3 years But even then the OEM is only supported buy the plce that you bought it from.

combat_wombat
09-15-05, 10:14 AM
if you get retail amd cpu, first thing you should do is install the standard heatsink and melt the thermal pad. sometimes with an RMA they ask for you to send your heatsink in so they can inspect it and see what you melted the thermal pad. It's always good to be 1 step ahead of them :)

Roliath
09-15-05, 10:34 AM
when i bought mine there wasn't any thermal pad on it

ricercar
09-15-05, 11:16 AM
I have a few AMD retail CPUs without a thermal pad on the sink. It was included as a separate sticker which I never used.

The retail packaging for all my AMD CPUs clearly states that the warranty is void if you use another heatsink. This was particlularly scary when I paid $700 for the newly released Barton 3000+ to put in a Shuttle (with the Shuttle heatpipe), but web research indicated that AMD is not stringent about this in most cases.

jAkUp
09-15-05, 11:20 AM
Over here oem has 1 year manufacture warranty.

SLippe
09-15-05, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I knew about the warranty as well. I called them to get my 2000+ replaced. I didn't use a different heatsink, but after it burned up, I took the fan off the heatsink to use elsewhere. The lady at AMD said as long as I could find it, to just send it all in, but unfortunately, I still haven't found it. No biggie, I was just going to sell the new one anyways. So, yeah, their people seem cool.

rohit
09-15-05, 01:26 PM
but frankly, do you need a 3rd party HSF for A64's? they run pretty cool

|JuiceZ|
09-15-05, 01:50 PM
but frankly, do you need a 3rd party HSF for A64's? they run pretty cool

If you're doing more than just mild overclocking you would.

CaptNKILL
09-15-05, 02:01 PM
If you're doing more than just mild overclocking you would.
Im pretty happy with my overclock, and Im using the stock HSF. I'll probably get something beefier some day, but I really doubt I play any games that make this CPU a bottleneck as it is. Another 100Mhz wouldnt do much for me at this point.

Dazz
09-15-05, 03:07 PM
The Athlon X2's don't use thermal pads they have thermal paste pre-applied to the HSF.

wheeljack12
09-16-05, 12:20 PM
I bought a fx-55 OEM from Monarch Computer and they did something interesting. They offered two years extra warranty on the OEM cpu so that i still got a 3 year warranty just the retail one. The cost was like $20-30. And since the CPU was rare at the time I bought, it was the best option to protect my wallet.

J-Mag
09-16-05, 02:54 PM
how many of you have had a proc die though? I have yet to experience a dead CPU in 13 years and I never run stock speeds and voltages...

CaptNKILL
09-16-05, 03:14 PM
how many of you have had a proc die though? I have yet to experience a dead CPU in 13 years and I never run stock speeds and voltages...
I had one die, but it was because of a messed up motherboard that fried it... its the only CPU I've ever lost.

It was an Athlon Tbird 1.33ghz socket A... it was one of the revisions that was a good overclocker too :(

SH64
09-16-05, 06:35 PM
I didnt know about that actually as an absolute fact.. thanks for notice! gotta keep that in mind.

Roliath
09-17-05, 02:41 AM
I didnt know about that actually as an absolute fact.. thanks for notice! gotta keep that in mind.
No Problem, I just wanted to get the word out for those that didn't know (ME!)

Kojiro
09-19-05, 12:26 AM
You void the warranty for Athon64 when you use 3rd party HSF because they don't test it or support it. It's considered a modification if you change a stock component for somthing else. They let you go since they know how inexperienced users would over hear that better cooling is nessasary when it really isn't, at least in normal usage. 3rd party HSF are used to OC CPU's over the specifications. Not only OCing can cause damage, but 3rd party HSF are not always easy to install, so damage can also occur during installation. Just how Auto insurance covers Stock parts of a veichle, the manufactures' warranty applys to stock parts used in stock specifications.

Basicaly they gave you the warranty because it an honest mistake, made by inexperienced users. :p

Roliath
09-19-05, 08:24 AM
Basicaly they gave you the warranty because it an honest mistake, made by inexperienced users. :p

I wouldn't call myself an inexperienced user, i'm no expert but i'm not a novice if I do say so myself. He gave me the warranty because I only used my XP90 for about a day.