PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT Three Displays

geko27
09-15-05, 06:17 PM
I have a XFX nVidia 6800 GT PCI Express graphics card which has 2 DVI and 1 TV outputs. Currently there is 1 monitor and 1 TV connected. The TV output is used for TV as there is a dual decoder nVidia TV in the machine.

I want to use the 2nd monitor output on the card so there will be 3 individual displays. The nVidia software does not allow for this; allowing configuration for only 2 displays. Is there any way in which this can be achieved?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

J-Mag
09-15-05, 07:17 PM
you could buy another cheap Nvidia card...

geko27
09-15-05, 07:36 PM
True, but why do I need to when there are three outputs on the existing card?

ricercar
09-16-05, 04:15 PM
It's a hardware limitation not software.

There are only two possible logical video ports per consumer GeForce GPU. The TV output connector hardware substitutes for one of your two DVI connectors, it does not add.

stncttr908
09-16-05, 04:46 PM
Yeah, just snap up another cheap PCI card for the TV display or the 2nd monitor.

russ_3d
09-16-05, 06:06 PM
how many extra desktop spaces can you have? :confused:

i currently have a 6800gt and have 2 monitors.

what is the limitiations for adding and adding like this? can i have a matrox dual head pci and then have 4 monitors? it isnt for gaming, more workspace for fullscreen video would be sweet. and multiple monitors for 3d work and ill be in heavem.

ricercar
09-16-05, 08:01 PM
I've connected 10 displays to one PC with AGP and 4xPCI, all GeForce cards. I could have done AGP and 5xPCI but I didn't have anough CRTs to make it worthwhile.

If you mix vendors, such as Matrox and ATI or ATI and NVIDIA, you won't have a smooth experience.

russ_3d
09-16-05, 08:12 PM
no loss of functionality at all? if so im doing that soon. great help to my workflow.

ricercar
09-17-05, 03:45 AM
More than four displays is too much for me to keep track of everything. Four gives me a perfect organization:

1) The documentation I'm composing
2) My source documents and research
3) The product I'm documenting
4) Email, IM, browser, TV, weather, etc

TierMann
09-17-05, 03:59 AM
how many extra desktop spaces can you have? :confused:

i currently have a 6800gt and have 2 monitors.

what is the limitiations for adding and adding like this? can i have a matrox dual head pci and then have 4 monitors? it isnt for gaming, more workspace for fullscreen video would be sweet. and multiple monitors for 3d work and ill be in heavem.

I think windows XP is still limited to 16 displays, so once you get your 16 monitors going then you might as well try 18 and let us know what happens, heh.

russ_3d
09-17-05, 04:40 AM
yesh i do understand that 4 displays may be too much. im at least going to go with another display as soon as i can. oh, and windows is limited to 16 huh? wonder what happens when i go W64 :D