PDA

View Full Version : 1st time driver install on this computer

Cally
09-15-05, 06:23 PM
I need to install video drivers for the first time on a Dell Dimension 3K Pentium 4 machine that only used onboard graphics. Is there anything specific I need to do to insure the drivers I load will work right the first time out? Should I download and install the latest drivers or are there problems with them? The card I am installing is a Chaintech Geforce FX5200 PCI card. I am asking this because I never used Nvidia products before and this will be my first install of them. The motherboard is set to automatic for graphics recognition so it will accept the card ok, I hope. The machine won't be used for gaming just some light duty photo editing and tax work.

NemesisChild
09-15-05, 07:27 PM
I'm not sure if your Dell will auto detect a PCI graphic card.
I know they will detect an AGP card, then auto disable the onboard video.
You can try the auto detect method and if it doesn't work, disable the onboard video through the BIOS.
Then, you can install the driver.
I have a FX5200 PCI card in an older HP (P3) computer, I'm using the 66.93 driver.
It has been very stable since it was released in Nov. 2004.
Since this is an older card and your not gaming, you really don't need a newer driver release.
You can download the 66.93 driver directly from Nvidia's website (under driver archive).

Good luck.........

Cally
09-15-05, 08:06 PM
I'm not sure if your Dell will auto detect a PCI graphic card.
I know they will detect an AGP card, then auto disable the onboard video.
You can try the auto detect method and if it doesn't work, disable the onboard video through the BIOS.
Then, you can install the driver.
I have a FX5200 PCI card in an older HP (P3) computer, I'm using the 66.93 driver.
It has been very stable since it was released in Nov. 2004.
Since this is an older card and your not gaming, you really don't need a newer driver release.
You can download the 66.93 driver directly from Nvidia's website (under driver archive).

Good luck.........

Thanks! I hadn't thought about the system not recognizing the pci card, it has been a long time since I installed one of these. I will just disable the onboard and not take any chances. I am going now to download that version of driver.