PDA

View Full Version : Gigabyte 6600 Turbo Force and no picture

Rumpus
09-15-05, 11:13 PM
Hi there,

This is my first time here. I'm not that up on Graphics Cards but I just purchased a Gigabyte GeForce 6600 Turbo Force Model: Gv-n66256dp.

I pullled out my old Matrox G550 and pluged in the 6600 but get no picture. :thumbdwn:

I have an AGP 4x intel motherboard Model: D845GERG2/D845PEPC. I thought this card would work as it's AGP 3.0 compliant.

Other specs:
Monitor: Philips 109S 19" CRT
PSU 300W +12V 15A Max
512MB 184-pin DDR SDRAM (DDR 333/226)

Just found out that my Motherboard only supports 1.5V cards but don't know if my 6600 is 1.5V or 0.8V and would this be a problem.

When I Pulled the card back out the heatsyncs were hot so it was powerd up I just get no picture on my screen.

Have I made an expensive mistake here? Does anyone know where the problem lies?

Any help would be great.

Cheers
Andrew

msxyz
09-16-05, 02:36 AM
AGP 3.0 slots and cards should be compatible with AGP 2.0 hardware. Usually Intel has a good record with combatibility (Some early VIA chipset don't mix well with AGP8X cards...). The fact that the card is hot only means that it receives power.

Do you hear any beep when the system is turned on ?

Two long beeps = the system couldn't find a VGA bios to boot from (meaning that the card is not correctly seated, not initialised or simply borked). Whatch also for keyboard and HD leds. If they flash as normal this means that the problem is elsewhere

Rumpus
09-16-05, 04:43 AM
Hi and thanks for your reply.

There were no beeps from the system and everything else appeard to be working. My keyboard flashed I think and the network cable light was glowing. Do you know where I would find info on the voltage of this card? I've tried to find out if it's a 1.5V or 0.8V card and don't fancy plugging it back in until I know incase I cook the MOBO. :eek: It seem that this info is not given out by Gigabyte or even nVidia unless I'm missing something. Its not included in the specs.

Do you think this could be down to a weak PSU? My CRT monitor should plug straight into this card via the D-Sub link, is that correct? :confused:

The card was mounted correctly but not sure what you mean by initialised??

Should I be installing the drivers before the card goes in or after?

Here's the card I bought:
http://www.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Products_GV-N66256DP.htm

And here's my MOBO:
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/rg2/

Thanks for helping out :)

Andrew