PDA

View Full Version : Stupid move

angshuman
09-16-05, 11:47 PM
I was trying to remove my Athlon 64 CPU/heatsink assembly from my motherboard. Earlier, I had attached the heatsink using the stock thermal pad. This was the first time I was trying to do the removal, and I did something stupid -- I did not try to find out the appropriate way to do it, but rather decided to use my common sense (which, as I discovered later, I had none of).

Anyway, so I unhooked the flimsy clip that secures the heatsink, and figured that if I pulled hard enough, the damn thing should come off the chip (with the chip, of course, being secured by the inaccessible internal clip). You can guess what happened -- I had underestimated the strength of the thermal adhesive and overestimated the clasping strength of the socket mechanism. The whole chip + HSF assembly popped out of the socket, with the internal clip still in the "locked" position.

Two questions:
1. Do you think I have damaged either the motherboard socket or the chip's pins due to my forced withdrawal while the pins were still tightly secured inside the socket?

2. How do I get the heatsink off the chip now? If I ever want to re-install the chip, I *will* have to get the sink off in order to re-secure the internal clip.

Thanks!
Angshuman

Rytr
09-17-05, 12:01 AM
Maybe you are lucky?

Probably, so now use a firm but not too forceful twisting motion working the chip one way slightly then the other until it works free the adhesive bond to the heatsink.

Once free check the pins to see if any are bent. If they are still straight clean the adhesive pad from the cpu and re-install in the socket...after unlocking the socket, of course.

Riptide
09-17-05, 12:03 AM
If the pins are straight still then the chip and the socket are probably OK. I've done this before with a Pentium 4. It was fine. Maybe I got lucky, dunno..

Next time try rotating the HSF assembly a few degrees (don't tilt it, just move it around) and see if you can break that seal better before you try and remove it. Now that the chip is still stuck you're going to have to try to do the same thing.

Someone else might want to comment but a hairdryer might help. Try heating it up a bit before you attempt to separate them again.

CaptNKILL
09-17-05, 12:07 AM
Yeah this happens ALL the time with Pentium 4s... Id say 6\10 times I remove a P4 heatsink the CPU comes with it. If you cant get the CPU off the heatsink after that, use a blow dryer and blow into the heatsink (NOT ON THE CPU). It should soften the paste\adhesive enough to take it off.

Deffinitely be careful though... some blow dryers get insanely hot and you could really burn yourself if you heat up a heatsink then grab onto it.

AthlonXP1800
09-17-05, 12:31 AM
You could be lucky if it not damaged by forceful.

What I did to removed my previous CPU heatsink, I placed my hand on the heatsink and hold it, moved the heatsink clockwise backward and forward very gently then see if I can pulled it, still sticked with thermal paste and I gently tweaked both sides again and it finally get off. :)

jAkUp
09-17-05, 12:36 AM
Yea its probably fine. Working in the computer industry, I cannot even count the number of times the CPU has came off with the heatsink. A slight twisting should get it off.. just be careful not to bend any pins.

SH64
09-17-05, 12:46 AM
Heh that happened to me before!
best way to get it off is by rotating the chip 360 degrees & repeat until it comes off.

j0j081
09-17-05, 05:00 AM
i made a similar mistake with my a64 and everything is fine however i don't think my socket was 100 percent locked. it was more inbetween positions.

angshuman
09-17-05, 09:05 AM
Thanks for all the advice, fellers. My pins are straight, so I think I'm okay. I also managed to twist the chip off the heatsink afterwards.

Any suggestions on:
1. What to use for cleaning up the old thermal pad's smear?
2. What thermal paste to use for my re-installation?

Nutty
09-17-05, 09:12 AM
Shin-etsu (sp?) or Arctic Silver 5 I would use.

As for cleaning, some alcohol based product. You can buy special stuff specifically for cleaning cpu's and heatsinks.. You can prolly pick some up at your regular overclocking e-tailer.

|MaguS|
09-17-05, 09:13 AM
Thanks for all the advice, fellers. My pins are straight, so I think I'm okay. I also managed to twist the chip off the heatsink afterwards.

Any suggestions on:
1. What to use for cleaning up the old thermal pad's smear?
2. What thermal paste to use for my re-installation?

I remove it with pure rubbing alcohol, and use AS5 for all my heatsinks.