PDA

View Full Version : Question from a newbie to SLi

Ninjaman09
09-17-05, 10:58 AM
Well guys my A8N-SLI Premium and extra 7800GTX are on their way, and I just had a few questions for those of you who are familiar with SLi motherboards. I've never worked with one before so I don't know what to expect or anything. Basically, I just want to make sure I get everything connected properly and don't screw it up. :D

First of all, I noticed there's an extra Molex connector on the motherboard near one of the video card slots. What is that for exactly? I still have to connect power to the rear of the card, correct? I just thought that was kind of strange.

Second, I'm assuming that the motherboard comes with its own SLi bridge connector. By having that connected, and having both of the cards installed, is SLi automatically enabled or do I need to fiddle with some jumpers or something? I have read that the instruction manual for this particular board is a complete mess so I'd like to preemptively deal with any confusion.

And last, are the SATA controllers handled as IDE controllers, thus negating the need for a driver installation during the Windows install? If I don't need to connect a floppy drive I'd like to avoid it.

|MaguS|
09-17-05, 11:53 AM
Well guys my A8N-SLI Premium and extra 7800GTX are on their way, and I just had a few questions for those of you who are familiar with SLi motherboards. I've never worked with one before so I don't know what to expect or anything. Basically, I just want to make sure I get everything connected properly and don't screw it up. :D

First of all, I noticed there's an extra Molex connector on the motherboard near one of the video card slots. What is that for exactly? I still have to connect power to the rear of the card, correct? I just thought that was kind of strange.

No clue, I just have my PSU plugged into it. /shrug

Second, I'm assuming that the motherboard comes with its own SLi bridge connector. By having that connected, and having both of the cards installed, is SLi automatically enabled or do I need to fiddle with some jumpers or something? I have read that the instruction manual for this particular board is a complete mess so I'd like to preemptively deal with any confusion.

Some boards have a jumper thats a big chip thing while others its a bios option. I know for mine is bios oriented, I have a 16xPCIE and two 8xPCIE.

And last, are the SATA controllers handled as IDE controllers, thus negating the need for a driver installation during the Windows install? If I don't need to connect a floppy drive I'd like to avoid it.

If your installing windows onto the SATA Drive for the first time on a new build then you would need to install the raid drivers upon windows setup, atleast I needed to with my K8N Neo2 (I didn't format when switching boards).

:)

jAkUp
09-17-05, 12:05 PM
1. It is extra power for the motherboard, definetely plug a molex in there, as well as your cards.

2. For the A8N-SLI Premium, it has no SLI jumper. Just pop the cards in, including the bridge, and set it in the BIOS.

3. nForce4 has native SATA. You do not need the SATA drivers. If plugged into the nForce controller. If you plug it into the RAID controller, your gonna need the drivers. Just plug it into the nForce controller.

six_storm
09-17-05, 12:45 PM
On the ASUS Mobo (I just got one :D) you have to set what's called the "Goldenfinger". It's basically a small "card" that is located between the 2 PCI-X ports that you have to set to use either SLI or 1 video card configuration. By default, it will be set to ONE VIDEO CARD so you will have to change that.

jAkUp
09-17-05, 01:22 PM
Not on his motherboard. He has the Premium. That one has no switch to set. The deluxe has the "goldenfinger"

six_storm
09-17-05, 02:25 PM
Not on his motherboard. He has the Premium. That one has no switch to set. The deluxe has the "goldenfinger"

Oh . . . :(

Ninjaman09
09-17-05, 07:01 PM
Awesome, well thanks jAkUp that pretty much clears it up for me. Can't wait to get this sucker up and running. :)