PDA

View Full Version : Help me build/spec out my new system

MrSavoy
09-17-05, 01:48 PM
Ok guys so as you can see from my sig the system I run now is dated and as such I plan to build a new one in the next week or 2 max.

I will not be pulling any components from the old system and plan on using that as a second pc/gaming rig when/if needed.

I'm a hard core PC gamer as most of you guys here and so thats the primary use for this machine. I'm not much of an overclocker but I may OC a little after a couple of months, so OCability isnt a major factor in my choices.

I'm about 90% sure I made mostly correct decisions on my hardware but of course I would love the guru's help on this. Please make recomendations/changes where needed and explain why. :)

Hardware I plan to order:

AMD X2 4400
-decided on the 4400 as opposed to the 4800 since the performance difference seems to be so small I coudlnt justify the added 3-400 bucks for the 4800. Plus I can probably OC to 4800 speeds fairly easy from what I've seen.

Zalman ZALMAN CNPS7700
-I want great cooling whether I overclock or not and so this seems to be a good solution. Again unless you guys tell me I way off and can recomend a better one.

Asus A8n sli premium
-I have been using asus boards for years and have come to trust them for the most part and since this board seems to be one of the more stable sli nf4 boards out there. Seems to have all the features I want.

BFG 7800GTX
I have an BFG 6800GT and have never had a problem and like BFG's legendary tech support. It also has good clocks out of the box, not the best but OK for me. Not going SLI just yet as I game on my LCD's native res of 1280-1024 for now. So I know I can max everythign out at that res and will not need another 7800 for a while. If and when I get a larger screen next year it may come up.

Corsair pc3200 400mhz xms pro (2x1gig twinx pack)
-I decided corsair since I have been using their stuff for a long time now and seems to work well. Again I know this isnt the best OC or fastest stuff out there but I figured it would work ok, unless you guys tel lme otherwise. I know the ballistix stuff seems to be flavor of the month for enthusists since it has great timings and OCability. Is there a real world reason I should go with something else thats faster for more money? If so please tell me.

2 WD 74gig raptors
-I want fast and stable drives and so these are still the best imo. I will be running them in raid 1 since I like the idea of have redundancy. I will pick up a 250 gig or so storage drive in a couple of weeks. But for now the 2 raptors will be fine since I plan on just installing my games for now.

antec true 2.0 550W
-I have an antec now and its never given me trouble so I know this PS is sli certified. My only question is...is it enough power? I can get a 600-650w PS if necessary. I think this 1 has the 24pin connector doesnt it?

THERMALTAKE ARMOR VA8000SWA
-I looked at a ton of cases and the lian li almost had me but I decided on this one for many reasons. But mainly for the size to be able to work inside without cursing cause theres no room lol. Also since I liked the cooling options to add a ton of fans and the look. :)

COOLER MASTER AEROGATE 2 fan controller
-Seemed like a good choice to me and looks nice also.

I will be putting 2 120mm fans on the front of this case and 2 exhaust for theback as well as using the 90mm thats already on the top. Noise isnt a major concern for me but good air flow is, so I dont care how many fans I have going.

I need to order a bunch of cables for the drives and such. I want to hide all the cables and wires as much as possible to have a nice clean install. How long do you suggest I get the sata cables so I can hide them as much as possible.

I think I have mostly everything unless theres something I forgot. Guys please give me some suggestions/opinions as to what I should change..if anything. :)

I cant wait to place my order and get this build going this boxor should roxorz my sockorz lol.
Thanks for reading. :D

Oh and the approx total cost for everything I listed is about 2500 bucks.

MrSavoy
09-17-05, 02:49 PM
Anyone????

superklye
09-17-05, 03:04 PM
it looks like a pretty rockin' system to me. Maybe an X-Fi soundcard?

toxikneedle
09-17-05, 03:41 PM
I think you can save money on a heatsink. The X2s come with a Thermaltake K450 heatsink, it has a very good fan and a smooth copper base on the bottom, so it's perfect for low-med overclockers.

Ram, Corsair is a bit of a rip-off... I'd get some OCZs or Crucials which are just as good if not better and much cheaper.

PSU, again Antec is good and all but I read a lot of feedback from people who got busted PSUs and Antec replaced em and all but still that's not a good sign of quality products. NF4 mobos (especially DFI) love the OCZ Powerstream 520W. It would be great for your setup. Don't worry about wattage, it's all about Amps and OCZ has a nice 33A 12v rail. Peak of 600w.

Sazar
09-17-05, 03:42 PM
Looks good :)

Consider measuring the internal case distances between various devices to decide on the length of the cables you want.

Also, what kind of specs do you have for the mem? Latencies and stuff.

I am going to get another gig of mem, either sell my current mem and get something better like 2 sticks of 1gb each or something like that.

Dazz
09-17-05, 04:15 PM
I would go with an ThermalRight XP-120, + 120mm fan best air cooling solution out.

Roliath
09-17-05, 04:24 PM
Everything looks good so far, but the Memory is what i'm worried about. I'm not hating on Corsair, as I had some XMS Pro kits that were TCCD and overclocked great (but these were 512MB Modules ).
You want to OC to 4800+ Speeds, so I'd look into a different set of ram.
I'd go with something tried and true, such as

2x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC4000 - $309 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146578)

2x1GB mushkin eXtreme Performance PC4000 - $319 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146397)

2x1GB OCZ Gold Edition PC4000 - $339 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227219)

2x1GB G.Skill HZ PC4000 - $269 (http://digi4me.com/product.php?productid=1316&cat=61&page=1)

You don't really need PC4000, but since you plan to overclock might aswell get something that WILL reach desired speeds and not take a chance with a PC3200 Kit.

MrSavoy
09-17-05, 04:54 PM
Guys I really appreciate the opinions and suggestions, keep em coming please. :)

As far as the ram, you guys have me thinking on perhaps going with the ballistix stuff since it is tried and true and gives me more overhead room to OC if/when I do.

Roliath
09-17-05, 05:04 PM
The G.Skill kit isn't bad either Here are one guys results with it (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74151). It is surprisingly "cheap" too, compared to the other Kits out there.
Here is a 2x1GB/1x1GB OC Database (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67762), to give you a general idea of what some of these kits can do.

You might want to look into getting an XP90 (or XP120 if it fits on that board), paried with a nice Panaflo M1A/H1A and you'd be set.

For the PSU, IMO Antec is losing its luster when it comes to PSU's. I'd go with a PC Power and Cooling 510 Deluxe if you can afford it, or if you can't get a Nice OCZ Powerstream 520w.

uOpt
09-17-05, 05:38 PM
You really want the higher clockspeed and smaller cache of the X2 4600 as opposed to the 4800. Only in very rare applications does the bigger cache come out faster than the clockspeed. In addition, less transistors are easier and more predictable to overclock.

I have several of the CF7700-Cu and recommend them highly. I don't have an XP-120 for comparision, though.

I stopped recommending motherboards with NVidia chipsets. Of course, if you want SLI you have no choice. I have an A8V-E SE here but unfortunately UPS didn't deliver my CPUs so I can't report test results yet. Also, Asus support gets lousier and lousier, but since they are the only ones supporting ECC in sockets 754 and 939 I have to stay with them.

I agree with the choice of a BFG OC card. There is just no good reason to get a card with a lower clockspeed if you find somebody who guarantees proper function at overclocked frequencies.

You generally don't get a noticable performance gain out of better RAM when you don't overclock. Even if you overclock it is quesionable whether the performance gain is worth the extra money. Money spent on expensive RAM is almost always better spent in a better procesor or harddrive or whatever. I'd get the cheapest 2x1 GB that is on the low timings side. The Ballistix is way too expensive for the possible performance gain.

Overall a fine system I'd say.

MrSavoy
09-17-05, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the info guys, have given me some things to consider. I'll post back here when I have made my final choices. :)

overheat
09-17-05, 09:54 PM
I almost have the same PC you want and I say go for it men

MrSavoy
09-17-05, 10:40 PM
Hey Overheat, question for ya, what PS are you running with your rig. I didnt see one listed in your sig.

overheat
09-17-05, 10:41 PM
antec truepower 2.0 550

MrSavoy
09-17-05, 10:50 PM
Sweet, I still think I'm going to end up getting that 1. I have an 430w truepower in this rig for the last 2 and a half years and it never gave an ounce of trouble with steady rails.

Have you noticed with the load of stuff you have in that machine if the rails are nice and steady? Thats my major concern and was having me think I should get one with better specs perhaps.

overheat
09-17-05, 10:53 PM
nice and steady it is for now
I will give you an update once I get my second 7800gtx
but dont forget I didnt overclock nothing

The only complaint I got is managing the cable.....grrr drive me nuts
go see my rig if you want to know what Im talking about
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=697328#post515

MrSavoy
09-17-05, 11:02 PM
Nice rig dude. :)
Ya I see exactly what you mean. Although I think its probably because of the position you needed to install the unit in that case.

overheat
09-17-05, 11:08 PM
thx men!

well at least it keep the system cool( but I still hate having a cable go over my vid card).........and I wonder how I will put the molex in the mobo and still make it look clean.....and Im looking to get an X-FI as soon as their is driver for win 64 and the fatality is available and I heard you have to hook it it to a floppy power connector :mad:

MrSavoy
09-18-05, 02:02 AM
Ya the xfi looks interesting but I dont know if I'm quite sold on it yet. Now the physics ppu is something I can see myself getting as soon as its avail.

PSYCHODAD
09-18-05, 03:39 AM
Looks like it's gonna be a nice setup.

MrSavoy
09-18-05, 12:26 PM
Ya I will place the order this week most likely and after I get it up and running I will post some pics and benchies. Looking foward to it. :)

dandano
09-18-05, 03:29 PM
Just found out about some newer drives from WD. If you need capacity, this is the way to go. And it still has a transfer rate of 65 MB/sec.

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=158&Language=en
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144424

ViN86
09-18-05, 04:14 PM
i also have an Antec TruePowerII 550W psu and it is very solid. constant stable voltages and i am overclocking (cpu and ram is at higher voltage).

also, it does have the 24 pin adapter, you can detach 4 of the pins (its possible, held on by a clip) for 20 pin mobo's as well.

MrSavoy
09-18-05, 09:51 PM
Those drives look cool, but I cant seem to find much info anywhere on them.