PDA

View Full Version : Current rig vs smooth FEAR

Slyder
09-17-05, 04:59 PM
Im a little worried at the mo, because as were all waiting for FEAR to come out, I just tried the demo (again) and remembered why I uninstalled it last time. Specs are in my sig. FEAR probably hits around 15fps which is a little jerky if were putting it mildly.

Im just wondering if a new graphics card might be a wise investment now. TBH FEAR is the only game im having a problem with.

Whats everyone else think ?

SH64
09-17-05, 05:09 PM
I think your probelm mostly lies in the graphics card department. still though a faster CPU & mem are recommended.

in short : you need to ditch this PC & get PCI-E 7800GTX , AMD 64/X2 CPU & 2 gigs of DDR400 RAM for smooth gameplay in FEAR with all settings maxed.

even on a P4:3.4ghz/1GB DDR400/X800XT-PE i cant play FEAR smoothly with all/most settings maxed.

CaptNKILL
09-17-05, 05:38 PM
Some of it could be sound related too... a sound blaster 128 is ANCIENT, theres a very good possibility that youre having compatibility issues with the sound.

And a 5700 is pretty slow for new games. You should be able to run it smoothly at low settings, but dont expect much.

anzak
09-17-05, 05:41 PM
Im just wondering if a new graphics card might be a wise investment now. TBH FEAR is the only game im having a problem with.

I can't imagine using an FX card in a shader heavy game like FEAR. Yes, you need a new graphics card. A friend of mine is playing FEAR quite smooth on his Radeon 9600 pro and 2.0Ghz barton.

Just get an AGP 6600GT it will easily be 5 times faster in FEAR.

Slyder
09-18-05, 03:54 AM
I can't imagine using an FX card in a shader heavy game like FEAR. Yes, you need a new graphics card. A friend of mine is playing FEAR quite smooth on his Radeon 9600 pro and 2.0Ghz barton.

Just get an AGP 6600GT it will easily be 5 times faster in FEAR.

Thats what I thought.

As for sound, I didnt realise it would make a difference :eek: I mean, it just produces sound doesnt it. :confused:

aAv7
09-18-05, 04:47 PM
I say grab a 6800GT and enjoy the better frames. The card just dropped to $299. And would definately help benefit your system over the 5700 or even the 6600gt. And for the price, u cant go wrong.

jAkUp
09-18-05, 05:14 PM
Yes... try to go for the 6800NU/6800GT route. The game is a texture memory hog, so those cards with 256mb of ram will do nicely. Heck, even an X800XL would be great for your setup.

DoomUK
09-18-05, 05:57 PM
Thats what I thought.

As for sound, I didnt realise it would make a difference :eek: I mean, it just produces sound doesnt it. :confused:

Audio processor technology is being seen taking less and less strain/time off the CPU of late, just like the idea of having increasingly powerfull graphics processors (and this is why we have physics processors/PPU's in the making, and more recently rumours of dedicated AI processors :eek:, both jobs that are currently heavily CPU-bound operations). So yeah, a quality (PCI) sound card will give you a fractional performance gain over an older model or integrated audio.

As for the main performance gain you seek, update your video card. Like evryone lse has said, a 6800 GT will tide you over pretty well for the next 12 months. It all depends on your budget...