PDA

View Full Version : nOOb Overclocking help...

Peoples-Agent
09-18-05, 08:08 AM
Hi folks,

Just upgraded my rig, and having problems overclocking an Athlon 3500+ Venice to 2.4ghz, that is all I want to do lol

My rig is as follows....

Athlon 3500+ Venice, 25C Idle @ Stock. Cooled with Scythe Kamaboko
Gigabyte K8N-SLi
1GB Corsair XMS (2x512mb) Running @ 1T, 2.5-3-3-6
GeForce 7800GT @ 440 / 1150 stable.

My HTT is currently set to Auto.

I tried lowering the HTT to X4, and then using the Gigabyte Easytune program to OC the CPU. I did it in increments of 5mhz, stable enough in Windows
with the FSB @ 220 giving me an effective 2.4Ghz but it fell over, complete frozen lockdown on the first test in 3DMark2005.

I had upped my vcore on CPU slightly to 1.425.

(Ratio was at X11)

If I set the CPU to anything over 200 in the bios, I always get an annoying message on POST about it being set hire, then it just boots as normal.

Soon I am going to be putting two more 512MB sticks in here of the same ram, so knowingly I will have to loosen those timings to 2T. Not a problem.

What would you suggest I tried next in order to achieve my goal of 2.4Ghz without losing too much performance in the system throughout.

I want to beat my 3dMark2005 record of 7528, on this rig I feel I should be able to punch it higher.

Any pointers on what to look at clocking next? ....thought i'd ask the pro's on how the magic is done.

Peoples-Agent
09-18-05, 01:08 PM
Nobody can advise me what to try next???

CaptNKILL
09-18-05, 01:51 PM
Deffinitely need more CPU voltage. Mine is set to +0.3v which is quite a huge amount for these things. The stock cooler is great though (not to mention the chip itself is amazing) so the extra voltage doesnt make it overheat.

You'll probably have to set a memory divider too if you turn up the FSB. Corsair XMS might overclock alright but dont push it too much. Try the voltage first though
just turn it up a few notches and check the temps to make sure they arent going crazy.

Peoples-Agent
09-18-05, 01:54 PM
Cool, ok man ...i'll try cranking the voltage upto 1.5v to start with. Ram voltage is at 2.7 , does that sound about right?

CaptNKILL
09-18-05, 02:07 PM
Cool, ok man ...i'll try cranking the voltage upto 1.5v to start with. Ram voltage is at 2.7 , does that sound about right?
Yeah try that... remember to check the temps though. With lots of gaming I usually hit around 53C on a hot day, I wouldnt recommend letting it get any hotter than that (though I doubt itd do any damage).

EDIT: BTW, the Epox USDM hardware monitor says my core voltage is around 1.60-1.65v (it changes) and im currently at 46C CPU temp. Its pretty warm here and I've got a few things running, so thats not bad at all :)

Peoples-Agent
09-18-05, 02:55 PM
I clocked it to 2.4Ghz, upped the vcore to 1.5v and it was 29C idle.
That I am happy with, tried pushing it to 2.5Ghz without upping the vcore anymore and it fell over lol