PDA

View Full Version : So this guy dumped his Thermaltake 680W PSU for ..

SH64
09-18-05, 06:10 PM
A SilverStone Zeus 650W just because the Zues has a "SLI Ready" logo in the box!! :screwy:
how do you think of that as a decision ??

it happened at a local store today .. the store owner told me about it & i couldnt resist but to wait for him to argue about that!
the guy has a very similar PC to mine (7800GTX SLI) except for an FX-57 & 4GB OCZ DDR400 RAM :screwy: which Windows couldent read them all. he brought the PC because of that. it only reads 3GB for him. plus the doubt of a faulty PSU that is.
(any idea for the fix BTW ?? some suggested that Win32 cant read it so he needs Win64 instead! .. or is it the mobo ??)

anyway after sometime the guy came & the store owner introduced me to him & we had a conversation about the PSU & the RAM.
first i asked him why the 4GB RAM ?? he said "i play HL2 .. one of the most stressing games out there & it requires lots of RAM" lol.
so i asked him if he playes FarCry or Doom3 ?? "No" he said "but i heard about them & they look to be awesome!" .
then i went straight to the PSU story .. so he said "i looked into the nzone.com & nVIDIA stated that you should get a SLI ready PSU .. thats what i did!!"
"this one isnt enought" the Tt 680W he means :D
so i thought its a good chance for me to take it for cheap since he didnt need it anymore. he suggested about half the price , but i didnt agree .. i wanted to take advantage!! anyway after some chit chating about his troubles (shutdowns in HL2 'n other stuff & solutions/helps/explanations from me) the guy gave me the TT 680W PSU for.... FREE !!
at first i didnt accept , but he insisted that he dont want it & i take it for free without any hard feelings.

on his way out i asked him what he gets in 3DMark05 & he said its something like 18000 :wtf: .. i told him that he might be mistaken & then he replied "oh yeah thats maybe 3Mark03 .. is there really a 05 version ?? gonna try it out .. thanks man!"

i really dunno what to say about the whole thing! i'm stunned!! :|

toxikneedle
09-18-05, 06:17 PM
I bet he's one of those people who bought a Quadro or a 6800 Ultra with 512mbs of ram, since they "cost more than the other cards, they must be a lot better."

Hey at least you got a free PSU.... I was gonna buy that TT too but decided to get a 600w OCZ Powerstream instead.

SH64
09-18-05, 06:21 PM
Hey at least you got a free PSU.... I was gonna buy that TT too but decided to get a 600w OCZ Powerstream instead.

Yeah !! i was close to call him dumb or something but seeing he was generous enough to give me his PSU for free in exchange to some little info i gave him i think i have mixed feelings about him right now. actually i feel a little sad for him.
though i'm willing to help him for his troubles if he needed me once again ..

Nutty
09-18-05, 06:50 PM
Prolly isn't dumb. Just very uninformed :D

rohit
09-18-05, 06:54 PM
LuckyBych...

j0j081
09-18-05, 08:06 PM
lol good story. people crack me up when they think they know what's up but really have no idea.

stryker
09-19-05, 04:27 PM
lol wow. At least both of you got something out of it

ENU291
09-19-05, 04:37 PM
A noob with boat loads of cash! I say you school him in the ways of the force but try not to take to much advantage over him. Remember... we were all noobs once!! ;)

jAkUp
09-19-05, 05:10 PM
Yes, we were all noobs once, but we weren't all noobs who just throw money away.

The Silverstone is a better PSU though :)

wheeljack12
09-21-05, 07:02 PM
Enjoy the free power supply. Keep one thing in mind, A company like Nvidia doesn't put their stamp of approval on something just for marketing reasons. It's also called reputation at stake too.

sheElf
09-25-05, 01:39 PM
To be honest i dont see anything wrong with the PSU except it is a little bit loud, i am using this PSU for my dual opteron 252, leadtek 7800 gtx SLI on k8we motherboard, also 2 sata and 3 scsi hdds and dvdrw.

Just like wheeljack12 said the reason i bought this PSU is because is SLI certified and listed in k8we recommended PSU.

keith33
09-25-05, 03:34 PM
Thermaltake doesn't make top quality PSUs though in the same class as Silverstone, still congrats, I'd take that for free lol.

SH64
09-25-05, 07:00 PM
Just FYI .. i fixed the guy's problem! it had something to do with the Windows screen saver. if he turn it off all troubles go away .. wierd!

Kojiro
09-26-05, 10:15 PM
Sounds a lot like the people who post on Nvidia's official forum. I know I was a n00b once, but man they were stuborn. That's why I have given up posting there :rolleyes:

Then again I have seen a lot of posts here and rage3d that even n00bs will think is dumb. ;)