PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 6800 GT:Problem installing drivers

hitman201
09-19-05, 08:17 AM
I recently bought a Point of View Geforce 6800 GT. When I try to install the latest Forceware drivers my screen goes blank halfway through the installation.

I can install the drivers that come with the card ( ver 71.0 ) but after installing, the pc can only reboot halfway before the screen goes blank with a white dot on the top lefthand side of the screen.

The screen is all scrambled straight away from turning the PC on. It displays all weird ascii characters.

I have uninstalled all the old video drivers.

I think this might be a problem with my BIOS and am waiting for an update to be sent to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

crainger
09-19-05, 08:01 PM
Your card is toast... You'd best reurn it quick smart.

My card recently displayed the same problems (wired characters from startup etc) Its a fault with the card and more and more 6800GTs are displaying the same errors.

Good luck with the BIOS update though. With any luck it'll fix ya right up. Didn't help with mine though.

hitman201
09-28-05, 09:51 AM
Ya I returned it and am waiting to them to test it and let me know what was wrong with it. Hopefully they will send me back one that works cos I have already bought another PSU for the thing.

I posted this on another forum. Heres the link if you're interested in waht others had to say.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=698512#post698512

thanks

hitman201
10-07-05, 06:07 AM
Hey,

You were right. The card was dead on arrival. They're sending me a new (hopefully functional) card.

They didn't tell me exactly what was wrong with the card though which is a pity. I would like to have known.

I'm just glad that it was a defective card and not a defective User that was to blame

Peoples-Agent
10-07-05, 06:39 AM
Hey,

You were right. The card was dead on arrival. They're sending me a new (hopefully functional) card.

They didn't tell me exactly what was wrong with the card though which is a pity. I would like to have known.

I'm just glad that it was a defective card and not a defective User that was to blame

Oddly, always a gasp of relief in discovering it was actually the hardware at fault isn't it! :cool:

Good luck on your new card bud, sure it will be fine this time around.