PDA

View Full Version : Is there only one grade of thermal Tape?

Cally
09-19-05, 09:38 AM
I was reading the review of a installation of a Zalman VF 700 CU on a video card with the ram heatsinks, The guy was complaining about the thermal tape not sticking to the ram and the heatsinks. That made me wonder if there was more than one grade of the stuff? Or that maybe there was something on the surfaces of either the ram or the heatsinks that needed cleaning. Has anyone had problems like this using thermal tape?

J-Mag
09-19-05, 12:58 PM
I just recently bought some ramsinks from some guy of OCforusm and tried putting them on my 7800GTXs. Unfortunately I couldn't clean the chips appropriately enough and they are not sticking at all with the thermal tape (but it feels weak to the touch with my finger also).

The problem with the 7800 and 6800 is that the thermal paste blankets leave a slick residue unless cleaned very well. I thought I got them good enough with alcohol, but I thought wrong. I hadn't had this problem before with my 6800GTs when I used the Zalman sinks. However, I had cleaned the chips with acetone and alcohol.

Anyway, it looks like I will have to re-apply thermal tape to the sinks and reclean my BGA ram packages on the board. I am going to buy a roll of some 3M stuff, just to see if it sticks better.

Cally
09-19-05, 03:29 PM
I just recently bought some ramsinks from some guy of OCforusm and tried putting them on my 7800GTXs. Unfortunately I couldn't clean the chips appropriately enough and they are not sticking at all with the thermal tape (but it feels weak to the touch with my finger also).

The problem with the 7800 and 6800 is that the thermal paste blankets leave a slick residue unless cleaned very well. I thought I got them good enough with alcohol, but I thought wrong. I hadn't had this problem before with my 6800GTs when I used the Zalman sinks. However, I had cleaned the chips with acetone and alcohol.

Anyway, it looks like I will have to re-apply thermal tape to the sinks and reclean my BGA ram packages on the board. I am going to buy a roll of some 3M stuff, just to see if it sticks better.

From what source are you going to buy the 3M tape?

J-Mag
09-19-05, 03:42 PM
From what source are you going to buy the 3M tape?

I have not found a huge numbe of resources yet because I feel ramsinks are not nearly as important as core GPU cooling.

Search for a 3m distributor and you can get the stuff, but you have to buy in Cases.
I have seen fragtape on some pc modding sites but it is expensive for the ammount you get.

Cally
09-19-05, 04:09 PM
One important factor I have found so far is the thickness of the tape. Some of it is .5 and the better is .2. I am not sure at this point who sells what I am still trying to find out. A reference was made to the Frag tape being the thicker and the 3M being the thinner but I can't prove that yet so it may not be true.

*Edit* I found that this tape- Sekisui # 5760 Double Sided Thermal Tape is about .003 thick. I hope I have my decimal in the right place. It was the thinnest of all I found even that of the 3M brand. This is made in Japan. I found it to be sold on E Bay for $2.19 and $1.60 shipping.