PDA

View Full Version : Harddisk; suddenly data corrupt! :( Can anyone tell my why?

DutchMeteor
09-19-05, 10:15 AM
Today I was playing D3 for quite a while... suddenly artifacts, sign my videocard is overheating (easy here, since it was hot all day..)
Happened before, so i stop, wait a small hour, play a bit more , then the same thing happened and locked the PC even... This time before I could stop.
OK, PC wins, I quit playing.. Restart teh PC to check.. no problem starting up in Windows... turn off PC and that is it, i thought...

Then my house mate turns on the PC, and a message appeared, smth like "cannot find windows/system/config. Might be corrupt? Use original XP disk with r option to repair windows". Ok, maybe a chkdsk will help in the RC, helped before...
But no! chkdsk stops reports unrecoverable error on HD... Hangs on several attempts.. Things seem to be seriously corrupted... >_<

So now i have a dead PC with a harddisk that suddenly seems to have serious issues....
Now the PC does run hot, but heatsinks and such were still touchable and the only thing overheating sometimes is my poor 9800 pro..

So question is: what could be the cause? Really the heat?
Bad harddisk (i just lost a maxtor with similar problems)? So, stay away from Maxtor? (no problems evar tho...untill these last weeks that is )..
Bad memory or motherboard even?...

The system is a bit old... HK weather is really bad for electronics..
But this PC did not have serious issues before!... What should I do?..

I do not really have money for a complete new system... *sigh*....

sh1t happens i guess..
Any suggestions on what to look for?

ps. b4 someone starts complaining..
yes, posted this also on R3D, but need more input!
Really dunno what to do here or what the prob is.... :(

Mr_LoL
09-19-05, 01:48 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm
Hope that helps. It helped me when i had the exact same message.

DutchMeteor
09-19-05, 10:33 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm
Hope that helps. It helped me when i had the exact same message.

Thanx... this solution did help me before too indeed..

But this time the problems are more serious.
I can't even 'dir' my drive C and when I try to format the partition, it stops, also quoting unrecoverable errors! I can also hear the harddrive trying to read and read the section over and over again...

So probably a dead HD.. my second this year... Bad year for Maxtors! :thumbdwn:

Going to try a tool i downloaded from the Maxtor site...
If that one doesn't work, then leave it, buy some new HD...... no choice.. :(

Mr_LoL
09-19-05, 10:54 PM
Dont worry. I am almost half expecting my maxtor to die any minute now as they are so unreliable. I back up once a week. Looks like the most reliable drives are the western digitals

ViN86
09-19-05, 11:05 PM
the hard drive have SMART capabilities? trying it out in a diff pc and checking all the values (about spin times and seek times, etc.) could lead you to the problem. also, my windows goes corrupt when i get memory errors (seems to happen to NF4 boards from what i hear)

good luck, hope you dont need a new hdd :o

DutchMeteor
09-20-05, 12:50 AM
Dont worry. I am almost half expecting my maxtor to die any minute now as they are so unreliable. I back up once a week. Looks like the most reliable drives are the western digitals

Lol..you know at the time I bought the Maxtor 40 GB , they were regarded as the most reliable and WD as least ! (that was almost 5 years ago )
And yes, the 40 Gig did last for 5 yrs... :p

But the 80 Gig drive is not that old yet..so i am suprised it dies the same way... (although it didn't have the clicking sound of the 40 gig, so it could be smth else.... :rolleyes: )

DutchMeteor
09-20-05, 12:56 AM
the hard drive have SMART capabilities? trying it out in a diff pc and checking all the values (about spin times and seek times, etc.) could lead you to the problem. also, my windows goes corrupt when i get memory errors (seems to happen to NF4 boards from what i hear)

good luck, hope you dont need a new hdd :o

Thx..
I think it has SMART capabilities, but I unfortunately don't have another system to test it..
I did download a tool from the maxtor website.. Will try it lator when i have the time... (@ work now..)

I did also think of memory too, gave me some nice probs too in the past, windows going corrupt, installations that randomly fail etc... Never in this machine tho... Will check it too of course..

But since i actually heard the harddisk trying to read a sector again and again.. (the motor kept on 'looping' dunno how to describe it.. :p )..
I think this little piece of engineering miracle is failing on me....

Bye bye Maxtor for me...! :angel:

ynnek
09-20-05, 01:05 AM
There's actually no real study that shows any hd being so much more worse than another.. except for an occasional bad model/batch...

So use what you feel like.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Maxtor also sells the most HD's.. so its probable, you hear more about Maxtor failures alot, simply because there are more out there.

I personally never had a Maxtor fail on me.. In fact right beside me is a 1.6 gig and a 6 gig'er Maxtor thats been in service for over 8 years now, my longest record so far. 4 of those years they've been on and spinning 24/7 under my desks, thru my college years... Outlasted the PSU fan in that case, the monitor, and the PS2 keyboard socket. lol.. That computer is about to be decommissioned in about 3 weeks though. heh. Still works though.. but just too slow now. ;)

I now have two Maxtor drives again in this current computer.. a 80 gig and a 250 gig. This computer I worry about a little though, because that 6800GT really heats up the internals of my case.. right on my HD's..

To give WD some credit, I do have a 80 gig WD downstairs thats been spinning on my HomePC recording and playing back TV shows and music streams for almost 2 years of literally 24/7 continiuous service now.. Its been only literally shut down like perhaps a total of 10 hours so far.

TierMann
09-20-05, 01:09 AM
Lol..you know at the time I bought the Maxtor 40 GB , they were regarded as the most reliable and WD as least ! (that was almost 5 years ago )
And yes, the 40 Gig did last for 5 yrs... :p

But the 80 Gig drive is not that old yet..so i am suprised it dies the same way... (although it didn't have the clicking sound of the 40 gig, so it could be smth else.... :rolleyes: )

I used to flip-flop between WD and Maxtor for whichever was cheapest at the time, but ever since about 3 years ago when I had to return 2 DOA WD Caviars in a row I just finally exchanged it for a Maxtor. The 80gig maxtor downstairs is 4 years old now in the media center and there's still a 40gig maxtor in one of my old boxes that I gave away which is still kickin. Both 200gigs in this box are Maxtor, along with the 120 in the second rig and the 200gig in my gf's. *Puts on his Maxtor baseball cap and t-shirt*

As was said though by others, I've gotten corruption from memory or having OC'd too high. I'm not saying you can't get a bad Maxtor cause everyone puts out crap once in a while, and the re-reading a sector issue does sound like hardware.

Let us know how it goes.

DutchMeteor
09-20-05, 08:37 AM
I just ran a diagnostic tool i downloaded from the Maxtor website (PowerMax). It did indeed give an error (could also not enable SMART)..
Some vague code and a clear description: "de9be56d. Drive has failure. Please contact Maxtor for RMA options"
Same error on all tests. even when low-level formatting... :|

Going to see if I can RMA the drive. (also check the 40Gig lator...but that one should be past any RMA/warranty period, is from 2000)

If not, then maybe buy a new HD (my system definately needs an upgrade, but now just don't have the money...)..
Dunno if it is going to be a Maxtor tho ;) Maybe a WD?

Anyways.. Thanx for the info, guys...
Much appreciated.. :)

EDIT:
just found this on the Maxtor site:
"Customers residing in Asia Pacific should go back to their place of purchase to obtain a RMA, for any problems please contact support."

So now i've to hunt for receipt.. If i still can find it.....