PDA

View Full Version : Best MP3 player for long-distance runs?

muaddib
09-19-05, 01:34 PM
Hello. :D

Well, at the first stage of my on going research for the ultimate MP3 player sports, I came up with 3 nominees - iRiver H320, iRiver H10 and iPod mini. But after some thoughts I've skeeped all of them, because they are all based on HDD's.

Right now I'm at the second (and final, I hope) of my desicion. I'm having doubts between the ...

iPod Nano (which is currently the favorite),
a Sandisk 1GB player (very simple),
an advanced iRiver player,
and a <100$ Chinese MP3 player.
All of them are based on flash.

1. Radio support would be nice, but not important. If I will need it badly, I can buy the add-on for the Nano later-on.

2. Video support would be nice, but it's DEFINITELY not a requirement. The player will be mainly for runs, so I only need music. Also, the screens options on the MP3 players are too small anyway. I have a PSP for that. :P

3. MP4, OGG, and loseless formats (like FLAC) support would be nice.

4. Multicolored screen, and the abillity to the display pictures would be very nice also.

ENU291
09-19-05, 02:15 PM
When I go running I use this (http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=215&product=9771). It has 1gig of flash memory and an FM tuner. It also doubles as a USB key. I've owned it for a while and haven't had any problems with it. I also own a 40gig IPOD but it's to bulky to run with.

mx125race
09-21-05, 09:35 PM
i prefer my Rio :o good for running or teh gym ...has a built in stopwatch and records your lap times (ex: if you run the mile) very compact(like half the size of a gamecube disk and round) and straps right on your forearm. doest hold that many songs, but i only need about 50 songs and im fine...worthless searching through so many songs (specially on the iPod shuffles..) plus its not like 5000 songs are all currently my favorites lol

but w/e jsut my opinion

oh and FM radio...u can set the dB sonud levels too and stuff...yep, has powersaving and other crap on it, a screen too, and u can edit the titles and stuff on your songs.

retsam
09-22-05, 12:08 AM
ive been using my ipod version2 now for 2 years withour a problem... i job and lift weights while using it .... best damn investment ive ever made...

ynnek
09-22-05, 12:36 PM
what do you use for headphones?

I got these Koss "Sparkplug" earbuds, that seem to be okay for $20. So far I've used them for walking around all day with the wife in the mall... cleaning, polishing, waxing my truck.. (which took forever and got very sweaty) they stay well in my ears so far.. haven't brought them out to jogging yet.

CaptNKILL
09-22-05, 01:09 PM
I have a Creative Muvo TX FM and I love it... the non-rechargable battery that it came with lasted forever, but it drains rechargables pretty quick. The sound quality is fantastic and it has lots of cool features... built in FM radio too if thats something youre interested in.

I just bought a small (512MB) model for $85, but they make larger ones.

karkrash81
09-23-05, 07:18 AM
I use an Ipod Nano with an apple armband. The armband is not elastic so it can be somewhat uncomfortable, especially if your arms have any muscles.

I will be buying a 3rd party arm band as soon as i find one that has elastic.

ENU291
09-23-05, 01:02 PM
I have a Creative Muvo TX FM and I love it... the non-rechargable battery that it came with lasted forever, but it drains rechargables pretty quick. The sound quality is fantastic and it has lots of cool features... built in FM radio too if thats something youre interested in.

I just bought a small (512MB) model for $85, but they make larger ones.
I use the exact same mp3 player (second reply on this thread) with a pair of MX500 Sennheiser earbuds. I make custom folders with different style music. It works really well.

Zelda_fan
09-23-05, 02:21 PM
Apple makes the best mp3 players bar none. Even though everything except the nano and shuffel have HD's they have EXCELLENT anti-skip protection. I have exercised extensivly with my iPod and zero skipping. Get the iPod nano.

Kojiro
09-26-05, 11:57 PM
HDD based players are not recomended for running. The shock may not cause the player to skip, because there is a small buffer which the player reads from. It can't read directly from HDD, it's too slow. :rolleyes:
Over time the shock cna wear out the magnetic cylinders. Most HDD jukebokes are pretty rugged, and should protect from some shock. But prolonged shock can damage the delicate magnetism of the cylinders. Those who already do use HDD one for jogging and had no problems, then good for you, you just have been lucky, or probably not a serious jogger. ;)

My dad trains for the Honolulu Marrathon, and he runs a lot. So I would not recomend anything with a HDD for him.

Ipod nano looks great, but a bit pricey. The 1 GB Sandisk micro with FM radio is perfect. All for 126.99 here (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=384004) Note that there is a 10 dollar handling fee for HI.