PDA

View Full Version : New BIOS eVGA 7800GT

garikfox
09-19-05, 04:36 PM
Was just at there site and was looking for a newer BIOS for my GTX and found a new GT version, Came out today 9/19.

We have completed testing on a new BIOS and results are looking good. Because of this, we would like to open this new BIOS up to everyone to try at this time.

You can link to the page that will allow you to download the new BIOS at:

http://www.evga.com/community/bios7800gt/

Please make sure that you have registered your video card before using the download page, as it will require your serial number.

This new BIOS version is: 5.70.02.13.02

Please be aware that when reading these BIOS version numbers that the portion of the rev that reads "5.70.02.13" is the core ****** BIOS that is being used, and the final number - in this case "2" represents changes made by individual manufacturers and that these numbers will not always agree between different manufacturers.

EVGA Engineering

fuelrod
09-19-05, 09:08 PM
According to Nibitor it looks like the 40 Hz delta Geometric clock was removed and the mem clock lowered from 1070 to 1000 in 3D apps. If these clocks have been lowered performance will go down a couple percentage points compared to the original bios.

I bought this card based on the advertised specs, but now it looks like EVGA has released a bios they want their customers to use that lowers the specs (and performance) from those that they advertised. This doesn't make me real happy as an EVGA customer. If the cards can't run at their advertised specs, EVGA should replace the cards not fix it with a performance lowering bios.

combat_wombat
09-19-05, 09:21 PM
According to Nibitor it looks like the 40 Hz delta Geometric clock was removed and the mem clock lowered from 1070 to 1000 in 3D apps. If these clocks have been lowered performance will go down a couple percentage points compared to the original bios.

that's bogus. shame shame on eVGA

fuelrod
09-19-05, 11:54 PM
It looks like Nibitor isn't reading the memory right as others on the EVGA forum say the memory timings are the same. They are saying the 40 Hz delta Geometric clock was removed. This will reduce the performance vs the original bios but not nearly as bad as lowering the memory.

TierMann
09-20-05, 12:43 AM
You get a very slight performance decrease BUT you also gain the ability to OC without the geometric core holding you back as was the case for a lot of people. For those who don't OC, it shouldn't be a noticeable loss.

Check out this thread...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56521

Jas28
09-20-05, 11:09 PM
Looks like EVGA gave a response to the bios update. Here is the scoop from EVGA's forums:

http://www.evga.com/Community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8008&whichpage=4

There seems to be a fair amount of speculation as to what we did to correct the problems that people were seeing. Rather than allow the question to remain open forever, I though that Id share some of the thinking that went into the decisions.

Through our testing we determined that fixing the 2D and the 3D clocks to the same speed resulted in improved stability. Im sure that a lot of you can recall that this was also the case with the 6800 Ultra.

We also determined that the geometric clock was responsible for most all of the instances of artifacting and tearing that were experienced; and that its removal constituted only about a 1~2% performance loss in synthetic benchmarking and almost no performance loss in actual gameplay. It also allows for much more stable high speed operation on the part of the user which can easily exceed the slight performance hit that is taken when the geometric clock is shut down.

So I hope that based on this you can see why we made the choices that we did, and how they can benefit you as a user.

Thank you,

EVGA Engineering

Peoples-Agent
09-21-05, 04:23 AM
I'm with eVGA on this one, that blasted Geometric clock is a right pain in the ass when it comes to Overclocking, now if only Gigabyte released a new BIOS for my card to get rid of it , so I could overclock how I use to with the 6800.

Auswak
09-23-05, 02:59 AM
Thanks.

If some people really investigated, there are other brands that have already disabled the geometric clock.

All that aside, we are working closely with NVIDIA on the issue.

All reports so far confirm the new Bios corrects artifacting issues people had with some games, with no real world performance drop.

:D