PDA

View Full Version : Quake 4 Preview

Burpy
09-19-05, 03:47 PM
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/6978/quake48wd.jpg

[ Quake 4 Preview @ shacknews (http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2005/091905_quake4_1.x) ]

jAkUp
09-19-05, 05:55 PM
Hmmm.. sounds like he wasn't completely impressed with the SP portion of the game... well, bring on the deathmatch!

OWA
09-19-05, 07:50 PM
Why would you say that, reading it, I thought he sounded like he liked the SP.

The game certainly feels like well-traveled ground in that respect; it's not going to reinvent the first person shooter genre in any particular respect, but from what I've seen it will deliver a good solid action experience.

That said, the gameplay was tight and engaging, and the weapons felt solid to use. Thankfully, there's a flashlight attached to both the pistol and the rifle, and as far as I can tell it doesn't seem to ever run out of power.

All in all, Quake 4 is shaping up very well despite not reinventing many wheels. Following in the vein of Doom 3, the game has a bit more of a nod towards storytelling elements than is traditional in id's properties. Raven seems to be handling the task well, and the game should give Quake fans a solid experience when it ships in the near future.

alucard_x
09-19-05, 09:41 PM
i want q4test :(

jAkUp
09-19-05, 11:25 PM
He just had alot of critisims... :) Thats a good thing I guess, too many reviewers these days gloat

RAY16
09-20-05, 10:26 AM
Sounds like he got the same impressions from his play test as I have without playing the game. It'll be a fun game that doesn't try and break the mold, but instead just tries to do all of the standard FPS things well.

GlowStick
09-20-05, 11:23 AM
Yep, that was an 'honest' review that wasent swept up in its new etc. However yea im looking forward to DM also, probly wont play single player unless my net drops :o

alucard_x
09-20-05, 11:26 AM
yea i could care less about singleplayer.. can't wait for rocket arena 4!

msxyz
09-20-05, 11:29 AM
I tried out the first two levels on the console version, the same ones I started with on PC. For all intents and purposes the content and gameplay is identical. While I did notice the occasional texture that seemed a bit lower res on the console version

Where are all the next gen consoles supporters screaming in agony ? :angel:

Superfly
09-20-05, 11:33 AM
sounds great to me - just what I am expecting.

DoomUK
09-20-05, 11:43 AM
Sounds promising, although I hope there's a little more to the rest of the (SP campaign) game than too many Doom 3-esque dark corridors and monsters (or in this case Strogg) jumping out at you. Not that I personally have ever damned Doom 3 for doing just that for 70%+ of the game though, but that's another story. Basically, I just hope Raven don't make a Doom 3.5.

MrSavoy
09-20-05, 12:56 PM
I think that was as far and balanced as a preview can get imo. I don't think the reviewer walked away feeling anything negative about the game at all. Instead I think he rather liked it and seems to be looking foward tot he full release to get a complete picture of the game, as am I. :)

OWA
09-20-05, 01:18 PM
He just had alot of critisims... :) Thats a good thing I guess, too many reviewers these days gloat
Yeah, I guess he wasn't blown away or gushing about it so I see your point.

Acid Rain
09-20-05, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I guess he wasn't blown away or gushing about it so I see your point.Overall he got a pretty hearty kick out of it, though. Most of his irritation seemed to stem directly from it's difficulty, which he mentioned on occasion.

Honestly, I am sure I'll love it anyway, even if it doesn't come with a housecleaning robot and a pallet of toilet paper.