PDA

View Full Version : Epic/MS releases new "scripted" GoW shots.

Pages : [1] 2

slick
09-19-05, 06:38 PM
Epic and Microsoft released these following "scripted" shots running real-time from Epic's UE3 on GoW.

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1167/1127159903.jpg

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1167/1127159902.jpg

Just to throw in some MGS4 "scripted" shots for effect...

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/257/reviews/926596_20050916_screen005.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/257/reviews/926596_20050916_screen013.jpg

SH64
09-19-05, 08:01 PM
IMO GoW shots look better .. at least for the texture quality.

superklye
09-19-05, 08:08 PM
IMO GoW shots look better .. at least for the texture quality.
QFT

|MaguS|
09-19-05, 09:40 PM
I think they both look good for what they are trying to achieve, remember Kojima said they could have gone completly reailistic but he didn't want to since it would then lose its "Metal Gear" feel.

Still hate those pale looking guys in GoW, they look pretty stupid.

slick
09-19-05, 10:06 PM
I think they both look good for what they are trying to achieve, remember Kojima said they could have gone completly reailistic but he didn't want to since it would then lose its "Metal Gear" feel.

Still hate those pale looking guys in GoW, they look pretty stupid.

A) Okay... so you thing the locus look stupid. They still look better then the models in MGS4. Hate doesn't change that.
B) This wasn't a question of what each developer was trying to achieve. If you look at it that way then I could make a bunch of stick figures in Paint and say that mine looks as good as that because it was "what I was trying to achieve". Gears of War looks better, get over it.

|MaguS|
09-19-05, 10:19 PM
Ok, Which looks better? Fine, MGS4 does by far. It has style and a unique look. GoW looks like a generic post apacoliptic shooter. The art and style look like any other goth art/game out there, MGS4 atleast has its own MGS style.

Bad_Boy
09-19-05, 10:26 PM
I dont think they should even be compared.
Lets all compare MGS3 to Halo2 people.

yeah... /sarcasm

like magus said, two way different styles.
now i could see if you want to compare GoW to ut2k7, same engine and style, but this is different.

btw, "gow" will always be god of war in my mind :P

slick
09-19-05, 10:43 PM
I dont think they should even be compared.
Lets all compare MGS3 to Halo2 people.

yeah... /sarcasm

like magus said, two way different styles.
now i could see if you want to compare GoW to ut2k7, same engine and style, but this is different.

btw, "gow" will always be god of war in my mind :P

If you only compare things that are the same, where does that get you? Competition is driven by comparison, no matter what the conditions.

Ok, Which looks better? Fine, MGS4 does by far. It has style and a unique look. GoW looks like a generic post apacoliptic shooter. The art and style look like any other goth art/game out there, MGS4 atleast has its own MGS style.

MGS4 looks like a generic shooter set in a dusty war-striken third world country where the odds are impossible but the protagonist inevitably overcomes impossible odds and valiantly saves the day.

GoW looks like shooter style that has not been done before. It is based off of third person point of view and revolved more around tactics and approaching a situation correctly and using teamwork to get yourself rather then the typical charging down an alley with an m16 each hand. The story is the fight of a group of soldiers part of an epic war to save humanity rather then the typical one man must stop the atmoic bomb from going off destroying the world.

I guess it all comes down to preference, on the kind of game you want, but either way you look at it, the visuals in GoW are more impressing both visually and technically.

Bad_Boy
09-19-05, 11:03 PM
If you only compare things that are the same, where does that get you? Competition is driven by comparison, no matter what the conditions.
not when you compare suv's to cars. two different styles. why cant you understand this? this is how the doom3 vs hl2 graphics threads always end in agony, the engines are just too different to compare well enough.... even if they are both amazing in the graphics department.

MGS4 looks like a generic shooter set in a dusty war-striken third world country where the odds are impossible but the protagonist inevitably overcomes impossible odds and valiantly saves the day.
Dont do this to yourself. MSG was never a generic shooter. I can agree with the rest of what you said, but its not just the ending its the story within that makes mgs such a superior series.

GoW looks like shooter style that has not been done before. It is based off of third person point of view and revolved more around tactics and approaching a situation correctly and using teamwork to get yourself rather then the typical charging down an alley with an m16 each hand. The story is the fight of a group of soldiers part of an epic war to save humanity rather then the typical one man must stop the atmoic bomb from going off destroying the world.

I guess it all comes down to preference, on the kind of game you want, but either way you look at it, the visuals in GoW are more impressing both visually and technically.
gameplay/story is a individual preference so i wont knock your opinion in the first paragraph. me personally, from what ive seen of gow it looks decent but they really need to work on some things. the puzzles such as turning a valve or pushing are car are weak as they just cut from the gameplay to show you turning a valve. i think it should be more like in god of war where YOU actually push somthing or turn this. it just makes it all blend together and not having it feel linear and scripted.

but since you want to compare so badly..ill bite.

i believe we have barely scratched the surface of mgs4. most we have seen are low quality non-direct feed videos, unlike the high quality media have been getting of GOW. kojima says mgs4 graphics will only get better due to the final dev kits not out till december, and i beleive him. i have no reason not to. and like i said its amazing we only scratched the surface yet the graphics/animations/sounds currently look immaculate. (yes, even if it is one long cut scene, it is far superior than the mgs3 cutscenes)

check this short video.
http://videos.somethingawful.com/mega64/mgs.mpg
edit: oops wrong vid ^_^
http://files.lachy.org/ruliweb_mgs4_hd_sampl.mpg ...but yeah
and then you say **** like...
MGS4 does not hold a candle at this point.
throw in the towel bro.

hell, if thats not enough, in the other thread you didnt even beleive the trailer was real. and that you would like it to come to the 360. that should be proof enough that it was impressive. hahah :angel:

but anyways. like i said, go compare ut2k7 to gow if you feel like comparing so much. it would make your claims more justified as your credibility here seems to be weakening.

slick
09-19-05, 11:20 PM
The only credibility here that I have weakening is your opinions on my opinions on MGS4, we have our differences and I recognize and respect that. Though if you are talking about the thread where I am discussing procedural synthesis and parallax mapping, no I am not. I don't mean to be rude, maybe I have been while angry, but Magus seriously has no idea what he is talking about regarding the subject, and I have been educated on it, so I don't take kindly to him talking down to me about it. Especially when he is dead wrong.

Sorrow
09-19-05, 11:41 PM
lool

MGS4 creators don't even use HDR, gg.

steamedrice
09-20-05, 02:27 AM
the texture work in gow look a bit too extreme and bulky to me, I honestly prefer MGS's clean art style. MGS4 will be one heck of a game when it comes out just like previous ones so I don't know why some of you are arguing against MGS.

GamerGuyX
09-20-05, 02:38 AM
MGS4 will be one heck of a game when it comes out just like previous ones so I don't know why some of you are arguing against MGS.

Stop acting like everything you say is law. No one's arguing that MGS4 will be a good game. Why don't YOU stop arguing against the greatness of GoW!? :tool:

steamedrice
09-20-05, 05:18 AM
lol at exagerating my quote and taking it out of context. I have no idea when opinions were seen as laws. did you think that up because you thought it was cool? definately not...

Ninjaman09
09-20-05, 07:05 AM
lol at exagerating my quote and taking it out of context. I have no idea when opinions were seen as laws. did you think that up because you thought it was cool? definately not...
Meet GamingLordX. He's cool like that. ;)

As for the screenshots, I'm not seeing the big dramatic difference between the two games.

GamerGuyX
09-20-05, 07:15 AM
Meet GamingLordX. He's cool like that. ;)

Actually as it turns out, it wasn't even steamedrice that I was thinking about when I made that post. I was confusing him with Fighting Spirit as he's the one constantly acting like a huge PS3 fanboy. :|

Ninjaman09
09-20-05, 07:21 AM
Actually as it turns out, it wasn't even steamedrice that I was thinking about when I made that post. I was confusing him with Fighting Spirit as he's the one constantly acting like a huge PS3 fanboy. :|
Oh, yeah...that guy is pretty hardcore. :D

Ninjaman09
09-20-05, 08:52 AM
cryengine2 will pwn them... :D

http://s2.putfile.com/videos/26010431325.wmv
Yep. I think I'm going to forsake the consoles for the PC platform this time around. ;)

|MaguS|
09-20-05, 08:54 AM
Unless they use the CryEngine 2 for consoles aswell. ;)

Ninjaman09
09-20-05, 09:05 AM
Unless they use the CryEngine 2 for consoles aswell. ;)
Well...good point. :)

slick
09-20-05, 01:55 PM
cryengine2 will pwn them... :D

http://s2.putfile.com/videos/26010431325.wmv

That will be quite possible for this up coming generation, don't doubt that. Whether or not the CryEngine2 itself will come to the 360, I don't know, but it is quite capable of pulling off things like that.

Vagrant Zero
09-21-05, 01:06 AM
Meh MGS4 looks like it has better animations...and that's from a freaking frozen screenshot.

slick
09-21-05, 05:33 AM
How many times do we have to go over the fact that MGS4 was a scripted movie. Yes, those are frozen screenshots, but they ran a scripted demo using GoW running real-time and made rediculous animations in it, just like MGS4 did.

Epic was trying to prove a point. Anyone can make an awesome scripted movie full of incredibly life-like animations, but that doesn't exactly equate to gameplay.

kev13dd
09-21-05, 09:41 AM
How many times do we have to go over the fact that MGS4 was a scripted movie. Yes, those are frozen screenshots, but they ran a scripted demo using GoW running real-time and made rediculous animations in it, just like MGS4 did.

Epic was trying to prove a point. Anyone can make an awesome scripted movie full of incredibly life-like animations, but that doesn't exactly equate to gameplay.

THANK YOU!

I'm sick of everyone calling screenshots that AREN'T from the perspective you'll be playing, "realtime". I don't care what they were rendered on, if they aren't actually GAMEPLAY, then screenshots like these mean crap. I've seen a video of GoW being played, I know it's possible, and I know that if they are releasing shots like these instead, then the actual gameplay ISN'T as beautiful as these shots lead us to believe

K

|MaguS|
09-21-05, 09:54 AM
THANK YOU!

I'm sick of everyone calling screenshots that AREN'T from the perspective you'll be playing, "realtime". I don't care what they were rendered on, if they aren't actually GAMEPLAY, then screenshots like these mean crap. I've seen a video of GoW being played, I know it's possible, and I know that if they are releasing shots like these instead, then the actual gameplay ISN'T as beautiful as these shots lead us to believe

K

Go play MGS2/3 before you say their trailers are a different quality then the finished product since anyone who has played the past games knows that what Kojima shows is what you will get. Especially when he himself states that the graphics will get even better when the final dev kits are released (current kits are running at 2.4Ghz insted of 3.2Ghz).