PDA

View Full Version : Riddick - Strange Shadow Spikes

Peoples-Agent
09-20-05, 03:07 AM
Hi there folks,

I am getting very odd texture/shadow spikes in Riddick, hard to describe.... they aren't artefacts, not that random it's only when characters move, only noticed it towards the start of the game when you first go into Butcher Bay and Johns is handing you over to Hox.

Using 77.77 drivers, Quality mode in profile, V Sync on.

Game settings are Shader Model 2.0 , 1280 by 1024 - 60hz , everything else set to high using High shadows and not dynamic.

Using 7800GT.

I will try and post some screenshots to show you what I mean, it's very strange. Not typical artefacting , possibly driver related, just wondering if anyone else has come across this... i'll post some screen shots in a moment to show you what I mean.

- D -

Peoples-Agent
09-20-05, 03:18 AM
Right, they aren't artefacts at all because it does it at exactly the same points everytime, it's like built into the games script.

Darkoz
09-20-05, 03:43 AM
It's not caused by the driver or your card, it's a glitch in the game itself, nothing to worry about.

Peoples-Agent
09-20-05, 03:45 AM
Thanks alot buddy, lol

Put my mind at ease, cheers.

- D -

SH64
09-20-05, 08:05 AM
Yep its a self-shadows bug from the engine. thats why Doom3 didnt use self-shadows in the final game.

Darkoz
09-20-05, 08:14 AM
Yep its a self-shadows bug from the engine. thats why Doom3 didnt use self-shadows in the final game.

I don't see what DOOM 3 has to do with Riddick, as they both use different engines.
Riddick uses it's own proprietory "Starbreeze" engine.

SH64
09-20-05, 08:44 AM
I don't see what DOOM 3 has to do with Riddick, as they both use different engines.
Riddick uses it's own proprietory "Starbreeze" engine.

Yes but they both share many similar features .. the stencil shadows is one of them.

ATI_Dude
09-20-05, 10:16 AM

I wouldn't call it a bug, it's a limitation of the shadowing technique used. Riddick and Doom 3 use the stencil shadow method which renders shadows per polygon. Even though both games uses Carmack's reverse two sided stencil shadow method which takes care of the most common rendering bugs you'll see artifacts on uneven/bumpmapped surfaces where polygons intersect depending on the location of the light source relative to the object/person which receives a shadow. In order to fully eliminate such polygon artifacts you'll need to use another shadowing method such as shadow mapping which renders shadows per pixel.

SH64
09-20-05, 10:34 AM
Yeah thats what i meant to say .. but i guess i used the wrong word heh.