PDA

View Full Version : 7800 GTX SLI: Recommended settings for F.E.A.R. and others?

Ninjaman09
09-20-05, 10:41 AM
Hey as I've mentioned I just got my SLI set up yesterday and I didn't really have a lot of time to play around with it after getting Windows installed and all my games back on the system. I did get a chance to run F.E.A.R., Doom 3, Far Cry, and Half-Life 2 very briefly. I can say I saw the largest immediate improvement in Half-Life 2 where my minimum framerate has yet to dip below 60fps (which is so awesome) at 1280x1024, 4xAA, 16xAF, supersampling transparency AA, and gamma-correct AA.

With Doom 3 my timedemo was 94.7fps at 4xAA and SS transparency + gamma-correct AA, which was higher than my previous score with only the High Detail setting and nothing else. However the actual gameplay was a different story - very large slowdowns (to less than 20fps) in scenes with more than a couple of monsters on screen, as well as practically unplayable framerates in outdoor areas of RoE. This never happened before and it surprised me greatly. I didn't get a chance to try lowering the settings yet.

F.E.A.R. runs PERFECTLY at 8xAF, SS transparency, and Maximum settings (soft shadows off). However, if I use 4xAA, performance drops considerably, most notably during slow-mo when the frames drop below 15fps. What is this all about? I had always thought that 4xAA was practically free these days. I was extremely disappointed in this result. Anyone else have this happen? Or are my settings messed up?

Far Cry runs incredible as long as Gamma-correct AA is turned off and transparency is set to multisampling. If I switch those up to On and Supersampling respectively, my performance plummets over 50%! Anyone else seeing that happen? I'm a bit confused. This happens with in-game settings to Very High, with 4xAA and 8xAF.

Chronicles of Riddick, however, is another story entirely - I easily saw a 2x performance gain over my old settings (0xAA 8xAF) with 4xAA and supersampling transparency AA!! I couldn't believe how smooth it ran. Obviously this game benefits significantly from SLI. I'm really hoping future games follow its example. :D

I'm probably going to pick up Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory today, since I love the Splinter Cell games and I've been putting that one off. Apparently it benefits from SLI as much as Riddick does so it'll be nice to reap the benefits of my investment already. I'm a little concerned, though, about Doom 3 and F.E.A.R.'s results because they don't seem to benefit from SLI at all and I had hoped that I would be able to run 4xAA with these titles which were apparently CPU bound in benchmarks. I am highly anticipating Quake 4 and was hoping to run it with high IQ settings but it seems that SLI will not help me with that goal, likewise for F.E.A.R. Am I doing something wrong or are these results consistent with those of you who have 7800 GTX SLI setups?

SH64
09-20-05, 11:04 AM
1280x1024,2xAA,8xAF + Softshadows (you would probably get smooth gameplay at those settings).
or 1280x1024,4xAA,8xAF + Hardshadows.
also lose any other AA options (like TAA or GCAA).
softshadows & 4xAA dont match well at least with the current SLI settings.

personally i play the demo @1600x1200,2xAA,8xAF no problem with various framerate drops here & there but nothing big.
& remember SLI isnt working correctly in FEAR .. there are some bugs around.

Ninjaman09
09-20-05, 11:15 AM
I'll try dropping the TAA and GCAA, but do you think it'll really help that much? Remember I'm running 1280x1024 4xAA and 8xAF with soft shadows off already. The framerates are unplayable in a firefight. Maybe it's just that the demo isn't working right with SLI.

Still, I'm more worried about Doom 3. If it is truly indicitive of how Quake 4 will run, I'm afraid I'll have to forget about high IQ settings, which is pretty ridiculous considering that's kind of the entire point of using SLI (or so I thought).

SH64
09-20-05, 11:20 AM
At firefights performance would drop no matter what .. i think it might be either related to the CPU or the SLI which isnt working correctly atm.
or simply because the SP demo code isnt not yet optimized optimally.

& trust me you gonna need each frame you can get in this game ;)

which reminds me .. i see some flickering line in the middle of the screen when running SFR (sometimes) which indicates that theres something wrong with the SLI mode/value being used.

Ninjaman09
09-20-05, 11:37 AM
Oh, that reminds me of another question I had - why can I not select SFR and AFR modes? The only options I'm given are "Single-GPU Rendering" and "Multi-GPU Rendering". Nothing else. What gives?

Speaking of which, should I just set F.E.A.R. to Single-GPU Rendering for now?

SH64
09-20-05, 11:39 AM
Use coolbits to enable the other modes.

Ninjaman09
09-20-05, 11:39 AM
Ah, heh, didn't even think to do that. ;)

OWA
09-20-05, 12:40 PM
or 1280x1024,4xAA,8xAF + Hardshadows.
That is the setting I use. SFR is the SLI mode that I use.

Edit: Are you having issues in Doom 3 or RoE? I run Doom 3 at 1600x1200 4xAA/8xAF and it runs really well. RoE is a different story though. I usually have to play it at 1600x1200 2xAA/8xAF and some areas will still drop considerably (some of the outside fights, the plasma boss, etc.).

Also, you may want to check to see if TAA:SS is actually doing anything in Doom 3. I use to turn it on but didn't notice much of a difference in the game so now I leave it off.

Ninjaman09
09-20-05, 12:59 PM
That is the setting I use. SFR is the SLI mode that I use.

Edit: Are you having issues in Doom 3 or RoE? I run Doom 3 at 1600x1200 4xAA/8xAF and it runs really well. RoE is a different story though. I usually have to play it at 1600x1200 2xAA/8xAF and some areas will still drop considerably (some of the outside fights, the plasma boss, etc.).

Also, you may want to check to see if TAA:SS is actually doing anything in Doom 3. I use to turn it on but didn't notice much of a difference in the game so now I leave it off.
Cool, thanks for the input! Yeah, it was the outdoor areas in ROE that were killing my FPS, indoors the game ran fine for the most part. I guess I should just tone down the AA a bit and turn off TAA.

Aphot
09-20-05, 04:19 PM
However, if I use 4xAA, performance drops considerably, most notably during slow-mo when the frames drop below 15fps. What is this all about?

Im pretty sure thats normal because they game is trying to make it look slower, I know when I play Flat Out the frame rate gets locked to 20ish and it stays there.

Ninjaman09
09-20-05, 05:44 PM
Im pretty sure thats normal because they game is trying to make it look slower, I know when I play Flat Out the frame rate gets locked to 20ish and it stays there.
Nope. Using FRAPS I checked it out, and standing in a corner I was getting 100+ fps with slow-mo.

I discovered some rather interesting things about the F.E.A.R. single player demo. It is most certainly not working properly with SLI. Many people are not seeing a performance increase, although if you enabled GPU Load Balancing you can clearly see that SFR is enabled. In addition, the game automatically enables SFR rendering and CANNOT be overwritten at all. This indicates to me that SLI support is in a half-completed state in the demo and hopefully this will mean that its performance (or lack thereof) will not reflect the finished product.

My framerate dropped to 7fps during a firefight in slow-mo, in that room with all the shelves. That's completely ridiculous. Settings were 1280x1024, 0xAA, 8xAF, no TAA, and no GCAA. It dropped to 7 in almost all firefights. I can't say I'm impressed. :p

Conversely, in Half-Life 2, I was running at 1280x1024, 4xAA, 8xAF, SSTA, and GCAA on Water Hazard (probably the most taxing level in the game), with a minimum of 40fps and an average of 101fps.

OWA
09-20-05, 06:07 PM
That doesn't seem right. I thought most of us were only seeing mins in the 20s using those type settings or higher. I benched the whole demo a couple of times using FRAPS but I'm not sure if I used slo-mo during any of it. I guess I need to check that.

SH64
09-20-05, 06:16 PM
the game automatically enables SFR rendering and CANNOT be overwritten at all.

Actually theres a nifty trick to enable whatever SLI profile you like for the demo ;)
just make a new profile for the game in the profiles.xml file located in system32 folder. then use whatever you like.
i tried AFR2 (with Stalker compatability bits) & it was faster , but i didnt like it because although it was faster in FRAPS .. actual gameplay felt jerky & so slow compared to the SFR profile.

OWA
09-20-05, 06:30 PM
Actually theres a nifty trick to enable whatever SLI profile you like for the demo ;)
just make a new profile for the game in the profiles.xml file located in system32 folder. then use whatever you like.
i tried AFR2 (with Stalker compatability bits) & it was faster , but i didnt like it because although it was faster in FRAPS .. actual gameplay felt jerky & so slow compared to the SFR profile.
In profiles.xml or nvapps.xml?

acrh2
09-20-05, 06:40 PM
I believe that the general concencus was AFR for FEAR demo. SFR gave higher fps in some scenes, but AFR had much better minimum fps.

Ninjaman09
09-20-05, 06:57 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip! I'll give that a shot. But isn't that the same as enabling Coolbits and changing it in the driver?

SH64
09-20-05, 07:52 PM
In profiles.xml or nvapps.xml?

Yeah nvapps.xml sorry.

Ninja : no , enabled options wont help in FEAR's case because as we said its forced by the driver unless you make a profile that override it.