PDA

View Full Version : FEAR SP Demo temps!

Amuro
09-21-05, 08:08 AM
Running 7800 GTX SLI. Used RivaTunner to monitor my GPU temps when playing games. When playing BF2, my max temp is 76C (GPU1), but when playing FEAR demo it gets to a max of 90C. Why is that?

My cards idles @ 61 and 51.

|MaguS|
09-21-05, 08:11 AM
Because FEAR is actually GPU limited and not RAM/CPU limited like BF2.

Peoples-Agent
09-21-05, 08:13 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much the case.

By the time the final game gets released your probably see a change in that.

acrh2
09-21-05, 08:39 AM
Your gpu temps are little too high for comfort. As the difference in idle is a whopping 10C, it seems like the airflow in that part of the case is poor. Attach an 80-120mm case fan directly to the side of the two cards so the air is sent in between, above and below the cards. I'm sure it will drop the temps by 10-15C at load (and 5-10C at idle), as it did in my system.

acrh2
09-21-05, 08:43 AM
I used a piece of insulated headphone wire to tie the fan off to the video cards. Its one end is tied to the cpu heatsink, while the other end is tied to the soundcard below the video cards.
If someone know a more elegant/permanent/professional/commercial method, please share.

lduguay
09-21-05, 04:51 PM
I used a piece of insulated headphone wire to tie the fan off to the video cards. Its one end is tied to the cpu heatsink, while the other end is tied to the soundcard below the video cards.
If someone know a more elegant/permanent/professional/commercial method, please share.
Buy an Antec P-180 case, it has a special air duct for video cards (w/optional fan). I agree it is an expensive solution, but you asked for an elegant/permanent/professional/commercial method... Well if your avatar *is* your case, then you might find the P-180 look a bit conservative. ;)

acrh2
09-21-05, 06:17 PM
Yes, it's in the sig.
I wish I had a custom design on it like some guy's from [H] forums, who also had this case. His side panel said "AntiSFF".
:)

Amuro
09-21-05, 11:55 PM
I'm considering putting either this:
http://www.xoxide.com/3dedge.html

or this:
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=15&code=016

Think they will help?

acrh2
09-22-05, 01:32 AM
I'm considering putting either this:
http://www.xoxide.com/3dedge.html

or this:
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=15&code=016

Think they will help?

Nice find. I've seen the second one you mentioned before. From description alone, I believe you need a Zalman CPU heatsink to mount it, but I could be wrong.
The first one looks oh so nice though. As soon as I confirm dimensions (will fit over the SLI bridge), I'll be ordering one myself.
And yes, I think they will help.

Roch
09-22-05, 07:28 AM
I've velcroed a 120 Akasa Amber Fan against my SLI setup, dropped the temps noticeably. I tried using the VGA duct but it's pretty useless, first you have to find a good fan that's thin enough (20mm) to work effectively, then use a HSF that doesn't foul it, (thats counts out AC freezers, Microchills, 9500 etc). The case is very nice however :).

btw acrh2,

How's the dell 2405 for fast fps's? I'm really tempted to get one but have never seen one in action and i'm getting contrasting reports, cheers.

Raje
09-22-05, 11:15 AM
My sekrrrit cooling solution is to open my case, that is until I find a better case that works with everything I have. ;)

Dell 2405FPW is awesome. I don't hesitate to recommend it when people ask. So far I have played Baldur's Gate 2, IceWind Dale, IceWind Dale 2, AoE3 Demo, Half Life 2, CS:S, BattleField 2, and FEAR Demo on it and have had no complaints. Even at lower than Native it looks good to me. Also very nice for watching DVDs.

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." - Ferris ;)

Roch
09-22-05, 11:29 AM
Thanks Raje,

I play a lot of Doom3 and dark stuff like that, is it ok with particularly black areas or does it all become undefined? Got paid today...hmmmmm. :D

acrh2
09-22-05, 06:00 PM
btw acrh2,

How's the dell 2405 for fast fps's? I'm really tempted to get one but have never seen one in action and i'm getting contrasting reports, cheers.

It's ok, it feels no different from other 8-16ms lcd's I've used (Samsung 19" and Benq 20"). It's ok for an average fps gamer, but it's not exactly a CRT, which is why I use a CRT for competitive FPS gaming (q3 and sof2). I've written a mini review on a similar issue here:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=899403
It's a HUGE monitor though, excellent for video and word editing (two full word pages at 100% will fit on the screen at the same time). It's so huge I have to phisically turn my head to read at left and right sides.

Raje
09-22-05, 06:07 PM
Thanks Raje,

I play a lot of Doom3 and dark stuff like that, is it ok with particularly black areas or does it all become undefined? Got paid today...hmmmmm. :D

I'm really not able to tell you because I don't have a CRT here to compare it to. Compared to the other LCDs that I have owned, this one blows those away in every catagory. I even like this better than my SGI/SONY 19'' CRT for design work, but I never gamed on that CRT. It was just at work.

'bout the darkest I've dealt with on this display is Half Life 2 and it looked great as far as I am concerned.

Only issue that this one does have is some backlight bleeding through in the lower right hand corner of the display. Only time I can tell is when the display is blank though. Really the only time I notice it is when I actively look for it.

Here is what ExtremeTech has to say about the Dell 2405FPW:

Dark-level detail was pretty good—for an LCD. For example, in Raiders of the Lost Ark, we saw good detail in the dark cave scenes in the opening action sequence, but some inevitable loss of detail in the shadows was visible when we compared it with a CRT displaying the same scene. Fast action sequences, such as those in Spider Man were rendered with no visible streaking or ghosting.

Games looked good, too. For example, Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher's Bay has numerous dark scenes. Dark levels still were playable, and we didn't notice any problems navigating through dimly lit areas or targeting enemies in semi-darkness. In fast-moving games, such as Microsoft's Freelancer we saw no visible ghosting. If you keep the refresh rate at 60Hz, you should have few problems with the 2405FPW.

Full review found Here (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1764458,00.asp) .

Jaded-Gamer has this to say:

As good as WoW looked I wanted to see HL2 on it. Again a game that supported WS gaming. Well if Wow was amazing this easily rivals it. The city looked stunning. The one niggle I did have, were some dark area's looked wrong but I'm putting that down to driver issues or gamma, as Wow and Doom 3 looked fine.

Ahh yes Doom3. A very dark game in every sense of the word looked fantastic, even though it only supports 1600 * 1200 out of the box (1.1 patch & a tweak fixes this). At this point the monitor will stretch the game to fill the panel. I can live with this slightly warped look but for those aspect junkies a 1:1 option exists that will put vertical black bars either side. Though for some reason you cant be at 1920 res to select the aspect option.

Full review here (http://www.jaded-gamer.com/content.php?review.55).

I'm sure there are more reviews out there. These are only a few I found with a quick Google search.

Amuro
09-22-05, 10:15 PM
I'm concerned about games supporting widescreen. I play a lot of flight sims and most of them don't support widescreen.

otispunkmeyer
09-23-05, 04:26 AM
Nice find. I've seen the second one you mentioned before. From description alone, I believe you need a Zalman CPU heatsink to mount it, but I could be wrong.
The first one looks oh so nice though. As soon as I confirm dimensions (will fit over the SLI bridge), I'll be ordering one myself.
And yes, I think they will help.

the zalman fan bracket works without the heatsink that you mention. if you buy the HSF then this bracket comes with it as form of cooling for it. you can just buy the fanbracket on its own for around £10. it allows you to posistion the fan just right, and allows you to use more than 1 fan.

it simply screws in with the screws you use to secure your Add in PCI/AGP/PCI-E cards on the case

Roch
09-23-05, 05:32 AM
Thanks Guys! I want to play Quake 4 mainly, as it's limited to 60fps anyway, I was hoping the 2405 would be ok for competitive multiplayer, not sure what to do now. :confused:

acrh2
09-23-05, 08:39 AM
Thanks Guys! I want to play Quake 4 mainly, as it's limited to 60fps anyway, I was hoping the 2405 would be ok for competitive multiplayer, not sure what to do now. :confused:

Everyone familiar with a professional computer gaming knows that LCDs are a no-no. Example, CXG event in Las Vegas last year was delayed nearly 3 hours because hundreds of pro game players refused to play their matches on LCDs. Eventually CRTs were delivered, but that didn't prevent the event from ending up a complete failure, which a different story all together. During the most recent event, Eurocup XI lan finals in Netherlands, gamers complained about the LCD issue. I honestly don't know how it was resolved, but one can find out from http://www.esreality.com, http://www.gotfrag.com, or http://www.cyberfight.org sites. Just read some blogs/journals from the attending press.
Anyway, if one is planning to play fps games competitively, in clans or at tournaments, I would recommend against using the beautiful and huge 24" LCD in question. Get a good CRT instead or in addition to it.

Ninjaman09
09-23-05, 09:43 AM
What blows is when you live in an apartment that's right next to a gigantic transformer grid, and the high-voltage EM field generated makes any CRT monitors you use vibrate violently at refresh rates above 60hz (at least that's what I think it is, I've tried all kinds of power conditioners and unplugged everything in my apartment and have gotten no results). I couldn't use a CRT if I wanted to (and I do). It really is a pain in the ass. I like my Samsung a lot but I would really like to play games at 1600x1200 and there are no LCDs with acceptable refresh rates that display this resolution that cost less than $1k. :(

Roch
09-23-05, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the links! :)

I'll stick with my IIyama VM pro 454 I've got then. It handles 16x12@100hz and 20x15 at 75hz, (Diamondtron M2) I just fancied something bigger.

Raje
09-23-05, 07:08 PM
Everyone familiar with a professional computer gaming knows that LCDs are a no-no.

You actually play "better" with your CRT than you do with your LCD?

I don't feel as though I have an advantage when using a CRT and I don't feel as though I have a disadvantage with an LCD.

I guess as long as you are having fun and enjoying your games it doesn't matter.

acrh2
09-23-05, 11:15 PM
You actually play "better" with your CRT than you do with your LCD?

Yes. I posted a link earlier to a review of an 8ms Samsung LCD for competitive play in Soldier of Fortune 2. My gun accuracy dropped significantly with an LCD.

I don't feel as though I have an advantage when using a CRT and I don't feel as though I have a disadvantage with an LCD.

I guess as long as you are having fun and enjoying your games it doesn't matter.

As I have stated several time, these LCD vs. CRT issues are only evident in competitive play. If you just want to have fun, that can be accomplised on a 25ms 15" KDS LCD. However, if you were play a clan match for, say, TWL and CAL leagues, you wouldn't be having fun on an LCD. You would be frustrated and probably smash a mouse into that LCD in the process.:)