PDA

View Full Version : Hl2 - stuttering

GuOD
09-21-05, 04:51 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm using a 7800gtx and good system but for some reason HL2 is stuttering at some points. It's the kind where the sound repeats for about 1.5 seconds like really bad lag.. it seems to be occuring randomly. I'm wondering if it's because I have 2 monitors hooked up - When I play games my second monitor still shows my desktop.

Is there any way to disable my second monitor while gaming or is something else the culprit?

Using the latest forceware drivers.

Cruel_Logic
09-21-05, 04:56 PM
This problem existed a long time ago when hl2 was first released... I dont think your dual moniter setup has anything to do with the stuttering. Update your sound drivers, that is what fixed it for me (a long time ago...).

GuOD
09-21-05, 05:08 PM
This problem existed a long time ago when hl2 was first released... I dont think your dual moniter setup has anything to do with the stuttering. Update your sound drivers, that is what fixed it for me (a long time ago...).

I knew I forgot something when I reformatted! I installed just the CD driver.

Any idea about turning off the second monitor while gaming? I am assuming ti still hits performance a little.

Cruel_Logic
09-21-05, 05:09 PM
I knew I forgot something when I reformatted! I installed just the CD driver.

Any idea about turning off the second monitor while gaming? I am assuming ti still hits performance a little.
Im running a tv output all the time and i see no difference in game speed ;D

OWA
09-21-05, 05:28 PM
Hi everyone,

Is there any way to disable my second monitor while gaming or is something else the culprit?

Using the latest forceware drivers.
Just make sure the hardware acceleration is to single-display, if it's not already.

Edit: Also, not saying that is the issue since the stuttering problem in HL2 is pretty common. It may have nothing to do with your 2nd display. If for some reason, the hardware acceleration is set to span the displays, it would probably just reduce your performance.

GuOD
09-21-05, 05:42 PM
Just make sure the hardware acceleration is to single-display, if it's not already.

Edit: Also, not saying that is the issue since the stuttering problem in HL2 is pretty common. It may have nothing to do with your 2nd display. If for some reason, the hardware acceleration is set to span the displays, it would probably just reduce your performance.

SWEET! it's actually set to multi display mode so I am gonna disable that and hopefully it will help a little!

Is there the transparcy AA settings in that same option set too or is that automatic from the hardware?

Just wondering.. what do you use your 2nd display for? mine just sits there with a background...

jolle
09-22-05, 02:43 AM
Single display CAN help, some games slow down (pretty much ALL NVs techdemos slows to a crawl) with Dual Display.. I think mainly OpenGL might be affected..
But for example BF2 doesnt seem to show much difference.
Wasnt part of the Stutter in HL2 about the autosaves? it would stutter when it did a autosave..
Got chipsetdrivers installed aswell? not too fragmented and full HD?

I got MIRC and stuff on 2nd monitor, when gaming I got ventrilo and X-Fire on it aswell... Winamp when Im running that.. and video goes fullscreen on it.
Or I run Dreamweaver + Photopshop, or Photoshop + 3d Studio Max (disp 2 - disp 1).

GuOD
09-22-05, 06:54 AM
yah I'm thinking it was just the audio drivers that were causing it because it has now stopped.

well, I have a raptor as my main drive and it fragments to 30-60% after playing any game and I don't defrag after every single game so it's possible.