PDA

View Full Version : Go SLi or upgrade ram?

|MaguS|
09-22-05, 07:14 AM
Im thinking about getting a second eVGA 7800GTX but I also want to go 2GB DDR500 so I can OC better aswell as have more ram. Which would be a wiser upgrade currently? My system is in the Sig, I can play most games with 4xAA/8xAF just fine.

Basically it comes down to more GPU power or more CPU power (I should be able to reach 2.7Ghz).

Peoples-Agent
09-22-05, 07:55 AM
Dude, for gaming ...the SLi would make more of a difference hands dow

Scott@Bjorn3D
09-22-05, 07:59 AM
In your case get the RAM!!! I have an FX 55 and I do not have enough CPU power to push the cards in SLI. It would be a waste of money with the CPU you currently have.

FraGTastiK
09-22-05, 08:23 AM
nope,go SLi.trying to eliminate CPU limitation off of your single 7800 would only help you with squeezing some more FPS out of games that are running not bad on your system but could do better with stronger CPU.

on the other hand we already know that games like FEAR and SS2 are GPU limited.you gonna regret getting "RAM only" considering how those games tax your GPU.

btw geting both ram and 2nd card would be very nice but if you have to choose one,choose 2nd card.

|MaguS|
09-22-05, 08:48 AM
Well I plan on getting both before the end of Oct but want to know which to get first.

FraGTastiK
09-22-05, 09:21 AM
Well I plan on getting both before the end of Oct but want to know which to get first.

well I couldn't resist getting the second 7800 first.

|MaguS|
09-22-05, 09:33 AM
So SLi would be better then a ~400mhz boost and 1GB Extra?

FraGTastiK
09-22-05, 09:49 AM
So SLi would be better then a ~400mhz boost and 1GB Extra?

I see your CPU is clocked at 2.3,so yea 400 Mhz added speed would make your PC more responsive overall.thats for sure.

then it comes down to this,wich one you desire the most:
more overall responsive PC or being able to crank almost everything up with FEAR Oblivion and SS2.

anyway you are going to get both RAM and second card in a month so it wont make a huge difference wich one you go for first IMO.

I wouldve gone with SLi first tho.wich is actaully happening,hopefully within next week...

fingers crossed.

CaptNKILL
09-22-05, 09:57 AM
In your case get the RAM!!! I have an FX 55 and I do not have enough CPU power to push the cards in SLI. It would be a waste of money with the CPU you currently have.
This seems a little far fetched... there is NO game out now that makes an FX55 a significant bottleneck in performance. If you are hitting a CPU wall, you are hitting it in the 100s of FPS anyway so turn up some graphics settings to take advantage of your $1000 in graphics cards.

|MaguS|
09-22-05, 09:59 AM
Well could care less about SS2 and Oblivion! :p It's all about F.E.A.R.!

OWA
09-22-05, 01:05 PM
If you care about FEAR (and Battlefield 2) the most, I'd go for the extra gig of RAM first. I upgraded to 2 gig yesterday and both of those games now run much, much, better. So, my point is, SLI does wonders for a lot of games but with those two at least, even though the framerates were high at the settings I wanted to use, the hitching was ruining the experience for me. So, I think if you went with SLI first, you still wouldn't be that satisfied with FEAR because of the hitching.

jAkUp
09-22-05, 01:26 PM
For FEAR, go ram.

I cannot stand hitching in games. Its unbearable to me.

SH64
09-22-05, 01:49 PM
If FEAR & BF2 is what you only care about then 2 gigs , otherwise SLI baby!

Toss3
09-22-05, 02:04 PM
For FEAR, go ram.

I cannot stand hitching in games. Its unbearable to me.
No wonder with your setup :rolleyes: But yeah, go for the ram if you want to play fear! I know I would get another 7800gtx if I had the money and your setup , but that's just me :D