PDA

View Full Version : GeForce Go 6600: Display Options for TV?

ParaVox3
09-22-05, 05:35 PM
Sorry to inquire with what may be a silly question, but I'm neither computer literate nor having an easy time of finding the information I'm looking for.

I have a laptop and I want to find out if I can connect it to my television set. I understand that to do this, my video card must be compatible with TV-Out capabilities for a standard TV (non-high definition). Is my GeForce Go 6600 capable of outputing to my TV? If yes, under what conditions?

Currently, I'm not certain if my television is high defition or not, but I believe it is not. In the case that it is a high definition TV, is there a different procedure involved in setup? If there's any other information necessary, please let me know and I'll provide it.

This said, I'm also curious if there's anything I can do to ensure that I get a good-looking representation of what would normally be on my monitor.

Thankee,
-Elizabeth

Jimi
09-22-05, 05:49 PM
Sorry to inquire with what may be a silly question, but I'm neither computer literate nor having an easy time of finding the information I'm looking for.

I have a laptop and I want to find out if I can connect it to my television set. I understand that to do this, my video card must be compatible with TV-Out capabilities for a standard TV (non-high definition). Is my GeForce Go 6600 capable of outputing to my TV? If yes, under what conditions?

Currently, I'm not certain if my television is high defition or not, but I believe it is not. In the case that it is a high definition TV, is there a different procedure involved in setup? If there's any other information necessary, please let me know and I'll provide it.

This said, I'm also curious if there's anything I can do to ensure that I get a good-looking representation of what would normally be on my monitor.

Thankee,
-Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

Where to start....

First look on your laptop and documentation for an S-Video output. Its usally a round looking female plug with holes for 4 pins and 1 horizontal plug. Second, your TV should have that type of plug on it as well. S-Video is not high definition and is found on most TVs, VCRs, DVD players, PCs.

Second once you have confirmed both have a plug, connect an S-Video cable. Once you have done that there are easy ways and hard ways to turn on the TV from you PC. Most laptops have what are called "function keys". Function keys are the same as your normal keys, but invoke a secondary function if you hold down a key usually labeled "FN". You usually find function keys on the F1, F2, F3, etc keys and they are printed in a darker color than the normal white ones.

To toggle TV out, you typically hit FN and the corresponding button to toggle the displays. Your laptop documentation should have that info for you on how to do it.

If that fails, go look on NVIDIA's website on using their SW control panels for enabling TV out.

Jimi
09-22-05, 05:52 PM
Hi Elizabeth,

Where to start....

First look on your laptop and documentation for an S-Video output. Its usally a round looking female plug with holes for 4 pins and 1 horizontal plug. Second, your TV should have that type of plug on it as well. S-Video is not high definition and is found on most TVs, VCRs, DVD players, PCs.

Second once you have confirmed both have a plug, connect an S-Video cable. Once you have done that there are easy ways and hard ways to turn on the TV from you PC. Most laptops have what are called "function keys". Function keys are the same as your normal keys, but invoke a secondary function if you hold down a key usually labeled "FN". You usually find function keys on the F1, F2, F3, etc keys and they are printed in a darker color than the normal white ones.

To toggle TV out, you typically hit FN and the corresponding button to toggle the displays. Your laptop documentation should have that info for you on how to do it.

If that fails, go look on NVIDIA's website on using their SW control panels for enabling TV out.

Also to answer your questions about quality.

Most laptops LCD display are 1280x1024 or higher. This manes 1280 horizontal lines and 1024 vertical lines. Also its progressive frames, meaning that every frame has every line on it.

S-Video is whats called 480i mode. This means 720x480 or 720 horizontal and 480 vertical lines. The i stands for interlaced. This means each frame only has half the lines on it. Do a web search and you'll find more info on it.

So to sum up, S-Video will typically have almost half the resolution of your laptop monitor and is interlaced, meaning it will "flicker". All of these things add up to not looking as good as your display.

ParaVox3
09-22-05, 06:16 PM
Thank you very much. I don't see the right kind of plug on my laptop, only a monitor-out one. I may be out-of-luck. I'll see if I can find the books for my laptop - they're around here somewhere. *cough* :)