PDA

View Full Version : Check this FPS out. Tiny download.

Acid Rain
09-22-05, 08:51 PM
This has got to be the most impressive graphics presentation ever for it's size. 96k. It's basically a list of parameters and such which your CPU executes to generate the environment. It's actually pretty amazing what you get out of this 96k exe. Sorry if this is old news.

http://kk.kema.at/files/kkrieger-beta.zip

It's no F.E.A.R., but wow, 96k...it actually puts that CPU to good use, as it's generated on the fly, and the load times are pretty high, due to how it's generated from almost nothing. Funny thing is, some of those textures (?) rival anything I've seen in any other game. Look at the ground in various spots and the walls. Also, the lighting isn't half bad, considering.

Amazing. This is more of a techdemo than anything, so you probably won't play this demo to death like the F.E.A.R demo, but it's very cool. I like the music.

mrgimble
09-22-05, 09:05 PM
neat

Acid Rain
09-22-05, 09:17 PM
Well, apparently this is old news. Damn.

Aphot
09-22-05, 09:19 PM
Wow, pretty cool :).

Daneel Olivaw
09-22-05, 09:21 PM
Very old... ;)
But quite cool. (I ran that of my GF4Ti, and even then it wasnt recent news (we're talking two years))

SH64
09-22-05, 09:25 PM
Yep VERY old news :p
its a impressive game for the size i give you that.

OWA
09-22-05, 09:31 PM
Well, apparently this is old news. Damn.
Yeah, but it's still one of the most impressive things I've seen so bringing it up again for those that haven't seen it yet is fine by me. :)

Arto*
09-22-05, 09:38 PM
pretty nice, really enjoyed playin it

jAkUp
09-22-05, 09:43 PM
That game is better than some games that are 4gbs :D

Edge
09-23-05, 12:29 AM
Yeah, it's old news, but it's still impressive every time I see it :)

Those guys put out a bunch of demos, the first one is from like 5 years or so. Some of them are more normal sized (20+ megs), but quite a few of them are under 64k. It's really amazing how much they can fit into such a small file...you get get half of the programs they've done onto a single floppy disk! You can find all of them here: http://www.farb-rausch.com . Most are non-interactive (and some aren't even normal tech demos...one is actually a GBA ROM :p), but pretty much all of them are cool.

CaptNKILL
09-23-05, 01:02 AM
Wow, I played this on my old Athlon XP system in like 2003 and it ran soooo slow... I just played it again and it was perfectly smooth all the way through. Not 80fps smooth, but at least 30 all the time. I wish the game was a little longer, its sweet :D

Also, anyone else still find the graphics and lighting to be extremely impressive in some scenes? Ill mess with some graphics settings to make it look even better then I'll take a screenshot...

EDIT: Ok I thought AA\AF settings would work but I cant really get them to do anything in this game. It doesnt really matter though, it still looks awesome:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=13460&stc=1
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=13461&stc=1

Whats really amazing is that each of these screenshots is almost as large as the entire game. I think what really sets off the graphics are the procedural textures... they arent bit maps though they dont get pixelated as you get closer. They are infinitely detailed. Really cool stuff... I hope some day developers can incorporate some of these things into games without killing performance because they really do look amazing for some things.

agentkay
09-23-05, 05:14 AM
Arenīt the textures based on an algorithm? I read somewhere that they get better with better CPUs due to higher precision but Iīm not sure if thats true. BTW, just yesterday I downloaded this demo which I really liked and wanted to share:

http://scene.org/file.php?id=244127

fa7al
09-24-05, 06:53 AM
Isnt tthis the same kind of theory that is behind that spore game? Everything is generated from code on the fly so small sizes as you dont need to store textures/models etc.

Sazar
09-24-05, 08:59 AM
This runs almost entirely off of the cpu :)

If you want to stress your processor, use this game. It does wonders to heating it up.

Old news, yes, but good news :)

I loved playing the game and while the fps was a little low, the a64 helped out a lot and sped it up for me quite a bit.

Ninjaman09
09-24-05, 01:49 PM
Arenīt the textures based on an algorithm? I read somewhere that they get better with better CPUs due to higher precision but Iīm not sure if thats true. BTW, just yesterday I downloaded this demo which I really liked and wanted to share:

Yeah thanks a lot for that one, right upon loading it bluescreened my system and corrupted several sectors on my hard drive including my system files. Luckily I managed to recover everything but just a warning to you guys - this file can totally screw your system. It also puts like 260 files on your hard drive's root directory.

mx125race
09-24-05, 03:22 PM
whoa it isntalled in like 0.000000000000001 seconds, i thoguht sumthin was wrong lol

EDIT: Decent game, pretty cool. This is a shocker! My pc was silent while playing an actual game! :nana: an my cpu fan didnt rattle amazingly...

jolle
09-24-05, 07:06 PM

I guess its like "vector" graphics compared to "raster" graphics..
Vector is smaller since its a mathematical description of curves, colors, gradients etc, while a raster stores every pixel in the image.
So they are basicly storing simple "descriptions" on how the textures should look, and they are "rendered" at runtime into functioning textures.
Geometry is already a bunch of numbers in a 3d space storing vertices and conneting them into triangles which makes up polygons etc.
And there isnt much of a AI to speak of.. the "effects sprites" might be generated at run time aswell.

dunno why it should get better on faster CPUs tho..
I recall the old Sacrifice was said to scale to about 4Ghz (that was prolly before we hit 1 ghz), havent tried it out since tho hehe..
It might generate bigger textures depending on how much onboard RAM you have, that would make a bit more sense.. if you ignore load times, and generating smaller textures to reduce load times on slower cPUs..

Sorrow
09-24-05, 07:47 PM
Yeah thanks a lot for that one, right upon loading it bluescreened my system and corrupted several sectors on my hard drive including my system files. Luckily I managed to recover everything but just a warning to you guys - this file can totally screw your system. It also puts like 260 files on your hard drive's root directory.

lol, that made me laugh. Sorry about your system though

CaptNKILL
09-24-05, 07:51 PM
Yeah I havent had any problems with this... it just puts a big load on things.

What files did it put in your root directory? If you had bad sectors, the files are probably just the lost file fragments that scandisk recovered.

Edge
09-24-05, 08:06 PM
I had the same problem Ninjaman09 did, minus getting bad sectors. It BSOD'd me, and then put a crapload of files on the root of the harddrive or partition it was run on. Strangely, I ran it again after I restarted, and didn't have any problems. Strange...

SH64
09-24-05, 10:58 PM
I didnt have a problem with that scene demo except for stutterting .. it looked nice & wierd in the same time.
also notice in the readme.txt :
we take no responsibility for any damage
that may occure to your computer while
running this production

try to not use optimized third-party
graphics device drivers
the demo is tested with vendor specified
drivers

agentkay
09-25-05, 01:01 AM

Iīm sorry but if it had done any of that (on my machine), I had not posted about it. It never put files into the root directory either. Glad you were able to recover and sorry again.