PDA

View Full Version : Almost a new year and still no GeForce FX

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Cotita
12-29-02, 12:39 AM
Lots of people (including myself) are starting to get tired waiting for the geforce FX.

The more I wait, the more I think it will be delayed even more.

At first there was hope that it would be available early december, then by christmas, then late december, early january, march.

It better be worth the wait.

StealthHawk
12-29-02, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Cotita
Lots of people (including myself) are starting to get tired waiting for the geforce FX.

The more I wait, the more I think it will be delayed even more.

At first there was hope that it would be available early december, then by christmas, then late december, early january, march.

It better be worth the wait.

since November nvidia has staunchly said "mass availability in Feb." anything else since then, like "trickles by end of the year" are only optimistic wishes made by people.

nvidia stated review cards would ship out in mid-December, but it seems like that hasn't even happened yet. so it's obvious that things are behind schedule. i doubt we'll see any gfFXs in January now.

Uttar
12-29-02, 11:30 AM
I don't know where the early december date comes from, but the christmas date comes right from Jen Hsun Huang

In his Q2 Investor Conference Call ( around august ) he said the NV30 will definitively be in stores for christmas. Bad Jen! Bad! :D

Uttar

sebazve
12-29-02, 12:14 PM
i just want reviews other than that i dont care im skipping this card...:p . Where the hell are those reviews?

jAkUp
12-29-02, 01:53 PM
i think this is a bad marketing decision for nvidia... they need to hype... then deliver... we got the hype, but nothing to show for it! just look at duke nukem forever... hype... no show.. does anyone even care about that game anymore??!!

anxdiety
12-29-02, 04:42 PM
Wasn't there supposed to be cards given away at some gaming fest a couple weeks ago?

StealthHawk
12-29-02, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Uttar
I don't know where the early december date comes from, but the christmas date comes right from Jen Hsun Huang

Comdex. that is also where nvidia reps said mass availability in Feb with some trickle in Jan.

SavagePaladin
12-29-02, 09:56 PM
I care about DNF....

...just not very much.

The GFFX, on the other hand, I do care about :p

jAkUp
12-30-02, 12:34 AM
well i care about dnf too... but not nearly the same as when previews were popping up everywhere... i would follow every one.

we've gone a very long time without any new info on geforcefx... i thought we would at least have reviews by now!:mad:

LORD-eX-Bu
12-30-02, 12:59 AM
man, I remember the first shots that came out for that game, that would have rocked! I bet it would have been one of the great classics today but nah, they had to screw with us and delay it indefinately.:D

MrNasty
12-30-02, 04:26 AM
I bet ATI are working their socks off by now to get that R350 and R400 out.

Uttar
12-30-02, 04:46 AM
It would be VERY funny if nVidia could take advantage of all of this...

Let me explain: ATI isn't even sure if the R350 is worth releasing. So, if they see reviews of the GFFX claiming it "rul3z", well, they'll obviously get a R350 out of the door ASAP

But right now, management is really incertain about releasing a GPU with potentially even smaller margins than the R300. So, they're in a waiting position. And they might even decide to cancel it altogether BEFORE seeing the reviews if it takes too long.

So, if nVidia was able to destroy the high-end competition, they'd get that market again for about 6 months.

It also sounds like the rumors for the NV30 were, maybe, voluntarly contradictory for the same reason.

Now, the only serious competition left from ATI, if this strategy succeeds, is the RV350, on UMC 0.13
But then again, ATI got *no* idea what to expect out of the NV31/NV34 - all we know nearly for sure right now are the core frequencies of the two NV31 models ( 350Mhz & 450Mhz )

We know *nothing* but speculation about the NV34. We still don't know which Intellisample techs aren't in the NV31/NV34. We don't even know for sure the number of pipes in the NV34. And the list goes on.

I don't think any conspiracy theories are in order. However, even if all of this is not voluntary, I think nVidia could take advantage of it.

Uttar

Fotis
12-30-02, 05:07 AM
I agree with Uttar on r350.Is it really worth it.
According to nvidia itself GFFX will be 30% faster than radeon 9700.
IMHO it isn't who has the fastest product out but who is selling it.When radeon 9700 came out gf4 ti 4200 has selling really well and it still does.
Radeon 9700-9500 series are starting to sell really good and with a small price drop they'll sell even better.
GFFX is coming out february and until it can get some market penetrasion r400 will be out and will kill GFFX in performance and features.

PS I have no data on r400's performance just based on ATI history(r100-r200-r300)

MrNasty
12-30-02, 05:28 AM
We all know the masses will go with Nvidia... I mean they are STILL buying GF4 ti4600s over R9500 pros :(

Poor ATI need to market some more methinks.

StealthHawk
12-30-02, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by Uttar
But right now, management is really incertain about releasing a GPU with potentially even smaller margins than the R300. So, they're in a waiting position. And they might even decide to cancel it altogether BEFORE seeing the reviews if it takes too long.

So, if nVidia was able to destroy the high-end competition, they'd get that market again for about 6 months.

i don't understand. even if they decided to "cancel" it(not put it on market), all rumors say that the card has taped out. how hard would it really be to just reverse and put the card into production?

AFAIC there will be reviews of gfFX sometime in January. this gives ATI ample time to decide if R350 is really necessary and get it out by March, which i think is the specualted release date anyway.

We know *nothing* but speculation about the NV34. We still don't know which Intellisample techs aren't in the NV31/NV34. We don't even know for sure the number of pipes in the NV34. And the list goes on.

haha, we really don't know much but speculation about the NV30 yet :p and we have no idea just how Intellisample will act in real life, only the parts that make it up.

SavagePaladin
12-30-02, 08:09 AM
I'm told the review delay is due to a driver glitch that needed fixing. We should see em soon enough.

Fotis
12-30-02, 08:16 AM
It can't be a driver glitch.Nvidia drivers are perfect!!!

SavagePaladin
12-30-02, 08:18 AM
Given that the product isn't even out yet, I doubt they are!

heh

MrNasty
12-30-02, 08:42 AM
What is it nvidia call their drivers ?

The golden standard or some **** ? HAHA just call them drivers or detonators but don't call them golden. Last time I dled any software no gold was included.

saturnotaku
12-30-02, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by MrNasty
What is it nvidia call their drivers ?

It was Carmack that said it, not NVIDIA. :rolleyes:

ATI LoVeR 9700
12-30-02, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
It was Carmack that said it, not NVIDIA. :rolleyes:

Naperville isn't that yuppie....

Ok.. Ok... It is...

:(

Alphy
12-30-02, 01:58 PM
Its still a darn shame though, I know I was extremely disappointed when NVidia didnt release a single benchmark before Christmas. That is benchmarks worth looking at such as 3DMarks, UT2K3 or BF1942 scores.

AngelGraves13
12-30-02, 06:58 PM
who cares about ATI?? I'll never trust their cards or drivers. Their cards could be so much better if they worked on their drivers...maybe up to a 40% improvement. Nvidia's drivers are usually top notch so we don't see much of the improvement because it was usually there in the drivers released with the GPU. The Nv30 will be out in Feb and it'll be a hot buy, but it'll be over priced because it's new. You have to wait about 6 months before buying an Nvidia card after it's released. And yes if they released it sooner the six month wait would have been over and the prices would have been better, but the card wouldn't have been better would it? Anyhow....I'll wait until the next Windows is released, last thing I want is that my XP hardware isn't compatible.

Bigus Dickus
12-30-02, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by 99 to Life
who cares about ATI?? I'll never trust their cards or drivers. Their cards could be so much better if they worked on their drivers...maybe up to a 40% improvement.Anyone can pull numbers out of their ass. You know what that means? The numbers are pulled out of their asses, that's what.

Any evidence that ATi's cards could be 40% faster than they currently are?

Nvidia's drivers are usually top notch so we don't see much of the improvement because it was usually there in the drivers released with the GPU. Umm... yeah. And what about all the magical detonator releases that improved performance substantially?

AngelGraves13
12-30-02, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Bigus Dickus
Anyone can pull numbers out of their ass. You know what that means? The numbers are pulled out of their asses, that's what.

Any evidence that ATi's cards could be 40% faster than they currently are?

[b]Umm... yeah. And what about all the magical detonator releases that improved performance substantially?

substantially........I haven't noticed much difference from the 2x.xx to the 4x.xx. Just bug fixes and a nifty new control panel and some nicer IQ. I haven't noticed much, if any increase in performance.