PDA

View Full Version : 2GB Ipod nano costs $100 to make

Rakeesh
09-23-05, 02:57 PM
Gotta love how apple makes their hardware so low priced...for themselves :D

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/23/ipod_nano_desconstructed/

netviper13
09-23-05, 03:02 PM
I don't think this should come as a surprise to anyone. When you buy trendy items, you're going to be paying a premium - that applies to just about everything.

Ipods cost more than similar players with more features because of their name. Grey Goose vodka is more popular to like than Smirnoff, even though Grey Goose came in last and Smirnoff first in a blind taste test. Louis Vuitton clothing costs an outrageous amount for the same quality you can get from many lower-end manufacturers. Buying trendy means a bigger investment.

Banko
09-23-05, 03:25 PM
I don't think this should come as a surprise to anyone. When you buy trendy items, you're going to be paying a premium - that applies to just about everything.

Ipods cost more than similar players with more features because of their name. Grey Goose vodka is more popular to like than Smirnoff, even though Grey Goose came in last and Smirnoff first in a blind taste test. Louis Vuitton clothing costs an outrageous amount for the same quality you can get from many lower-end manufacturers. Buying trendy means a bigger investment.
Since we are talking about Vodka I would have to say nothing beats Ketel One.

Rakeesh
09-23-05, 03:30 PM
One reason why I am not a trendie. Even if I was, I still don't think I'd buy an ipod.

superklye
09-23-05, 03:31 PM
Since we are talking about Vodka I would have to say nothing beats Ketel One.
Skol, baby!

hahahaha...man, I can't keep a straight face even TYPING that.

oldsk00l
09-23-05, 03:54 PM
ipod mini's are going up for a steal right now though

Sazar
09-23-05, 04:32 PM
One reason why I am not a trendie. Even if I was, I still don't think I'd buy an ipod.

If you want small, get this

http://www.i4u.com/section-viewarticle-104.html

http://photogallery.i4u.com/galleries/MobiBlu-DAH-1500/mobiblu_dah-1500i_review_1.jpg

OLED :cool:

keith33
09-25-05, 07:32 AM
Well honestly I thought it cost Apple about 50 cents to make these things so knowing it cost them $100 is kind of shocking to me, nevertheless it's a great looking product and I'd probably get one if I didn't have a U2 iPod that was almost filled.

Request for the 5g iPod, use a damn scratch resistant surface you bastards, mine is scratched from the material in my dockers, or air even, that's total bs for a product you pay nearly $300 for.

$n][pErMan
09-25-05, 11:08 AM
I still use my MiniDisk player. Each disk holds like 32 songs on high quality .. good enough for me :p

Slyder
09-25-05, 12:03 PM
pfft... Ipod Nano my arse... there just ripping off Creative Zen's Nano Plus (http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=12720) . :rolleyes:

"waits for an argumentative person"... :D

Kojiro
09-26-05, 10:55 PM
My Creative Zen Xtra, while being big and bulky compared to the ipod. It was only 199 for 30GB and sounds awsome. I can never see myself paying 300 for a music player. Even though my Zen Xtra is bulkier than the ipod, it still beats my old slim MP3 CD player in size. Plus the fact i can carry my entire music library with no CDs is great. :D

ricercar
09-28-05, 01:01 AM
Paying $200 for Apple's iPod R&D is nothing more nor less foolish than paying $200 for a pair of speakers. Unless you own ribbons or electrostatics, chances are you paid more than twice the manufacturing costs for your stereo loudspeakers.

Stereo loudspeaker cabinets have less than $100 in manufacturing costs, including both the drivers and wood. Even hardwood "hand finished" audiophile speakers don't cost $200 a pair. When I worked for a high-end speaker company in the 80s, our materials plus "hand-finished" labor unit cost were something like $53-69 USD for cabinets that sold for $500-1200 USD a pair. There is no stereo technology this side of phonograph cartridges that comes close to the profitability of mass-produced stereo loudspeakers.

Yet we gladly pay more than that, sometimes thousands of dollars for a pair of speakers, just to own a brand name and a level of perceived sound quality. It's simple R&D meets marketing.

Some people who mock Apple don't perceive anything wrong with Eumir Bose's speaker designs. Yet each brand is absurdly profitable, because they package their innovation in a manner others try to imitate.