PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive in freezer?

Mr_LoL
09-23-05, 08:59 PM
I have my old 60 gig hard drive which just clicks and clicks. Has anyone ever tried this to revive a dead hard drive by putting it in the freezer or is it just computer geek urban legend. The drive is full of stuff i really need to get off it fast like all 4 years of university photos.

TierMann
09-23-05, 09:03 PM
Worth a shot. I wouldn't run it for a while afterwards though because you'll get a lot of condensation.

AthlonXP1800
09-23-05, 09:08 PM
4 years of photos? Oh dear, it worth a try to connect 60Gb as slave hard drive and booting XP and see if you can open the 60Gb hard drive folder and copy all data to your 80Gb hard drive, it could take very long time maybe a day to complete it.

Mr_LoL
09-23-05, 09:12 PM
4 years of photos? Oh dear, it worth a try to connect 60Gb as slave hard drive and booting XP and see if you can open the 60Gb hard drive folder and copy all data to your 80Gb hard drive, it could take very long time maybe a day to complete it.

I have tried that. It Just clicks every half second and windows doesnt recognize the drive. I really cant believe i am about to put a hard drive in a freezer.

CaptNKILL
09-23-05, 09:17 PM
I have tried that. It Just clicks every half second and windows doesnt recognize the drive. I really cant believe i am about to put a hard drive in a freezer.
Maybe you should consult a professional first... if theres a lot of important data on there, I wouldnt go experimenting with rediculous stuff like that. Theres a tiny tiny chance it could work (dont know how), but is it worth it? Id advise you to look for a data recovery service before doing anything crazy to it.

And folks, this is why I put things on CDs and DVDs every few months :o

Roadhog
09-23-05, 09:37 PM
slap it a few times, maybe its jammed.

Mr_LoL
09-23-05, 09:40 PM
slap it a few times, maybe its jammed.

Tried that already. Professional recovery costs 700 quid and its not guranteed. Thats too expensive for me.

Copper214
09-23-05, 09:50 PM
Save it for the future, one day, maybe a year or two it will cheaper or even free to get the data off of it.

Starscream
09-23-05, 10:32 PM
Yes freezing absolutely DOES work... for some Fujitsu drives.

I have never ever seen it work for any other kind of hard drives though. But it seems to work quite well for the majority of Fujitsu's drives that they recalled.

Roadhog
09-23-05, 11:15 PM
Tried that already. Professional recovery costs 700 quid and its not guranteed. Thats too expensive for me.

hit it harder...maybe a hammer or something...

Muppet
09-24-05, 12:30 AM
hit it harder...maybe a hammer or something...
Why not run it over with your car :lol2: :bugeyes: :udawg:

Mr_LoL
09-24-05, 08:44 AM
omg it actually worked. Enought time to get all my important data off.

AthlonXP1800
09-24-05, 08:51 AM
omg it actually worked. Enought time to get all my important data off.

Wow it worked, how do you do it? Run over by your car or the hammer? :p

Mr_LoL
09-24-05, 09:02 AM
Well i managed to get the important bits off it including my favourite pron :D

FastM
09-24-05, 11:19 AM
iv'e done it, it works until the drive heats up again (obviously)

Mr_LoL
09-24-05, 11:23 AM
iv'e done it, it works until the drive heats up again (obviously)
Yep its started clicking again but i now have everything i want off that drive. Now I can open it up and see whats inside. :D

CaptNKILL
09-24-05, 12:57 PM
Wow! Thats awesome! Im glad it worked out for you... I'll have to keep this in mind for any dead drives we get at work.

And have fun taking it apart... keep those big magnets that are in there, they are fun to play with :D

undercover
09-24-05, 01:21 PM
Yes freezing absolutely DOES work... for some Fujitsu drives..

And I can confirm that this daft souding idea actually works with Seagate drives as well :) I had a 120GB drive, only two weeks old, die on me. I;d just used it to backup another failing drive. Doh!

30 mins in the fridge and then ran it externally with a blue ice pack (wrapped in kitchen towl) to keep it cool.

Worked a charm for me.