PDA

View Full Version : Best Video-Input software?

Zoomer
09-24-05, 12:35 AM
Need software for Video-in, video capture, etc.

Specifically, I'm trying to get my GameCube to display on my monitor.

Vid card:
MSI GeForce 6600 GT

(don't have the original software that came with the CD)

I have the latest WDM drivers, 4.0x or something... just need software, thanks.

ricercar
09-24-05, 05:24 PM
If you have XP you can use Windows Movie Maker.

Zoomer
09-25-05, 03:47 AM
Thanks, didn't know about Windows Movie Maker's capture abilities.

Its not quite the solution though, as you see my priority is not to record but to simply play through the monitor. I will record sometimes - but my goal is to simply play GameCube through my PC monitor. Windows Movie Maker only has a tiny "preview Window" for actually seeing what is being captured - I need full screeen.

In my search I have found the following programs that do video capture:

AVS Video Editor
Blaze Media Pro
VirtualDub
Blaze Media Pro

The only software in this list that doesn't crash is VirtualDub. Since my main priority is to simply watch/play and not record, its unfortunate there is no full screen mode in VirtualDub, but it does the job and seems to have some nice options ( although not perfect as there seems to be some tearing issues and the game feels slow compared to on a TV).

Kojiro
09-25-05, 03:04 PM
Virtual Dub is the way to go.

I have captured video many times using a AIW 8500DV. You will need to install Xvid codec to capture in Mpeg 4 which will cut down on space. Also you can install Oggvorbis codec to compress audio streams. Ogg give you better quality sound than MP3 at the same bitrate, given that the bitrate is not at CD quality. 192kbs is CD quality for MP3, 128kbps is CD quality for Ogg. But you can get away with 92kbps with Ogg as it sounds better than 128kbps MP3. Not to mention that MP3 codecs are no longer free. (some free apps can still encode MP3, but you will have to rip auido from capture file then compress it, then remuliplex it to the video.

The best results is to capture in a high bitrate, 720X480 Xvid. Then you use dual pass variable bitrate. Dual pass can drasticaly reduce the size of the video while keepin the quality high.

The compressed video has to be resized to 640x480, with a 3.2 pull down deinterlacing filter. Why 640X480? Because it's VGA standard, your video will look better, and the filters will work better.

Smoothing out artifacting. It's posible to smoothen out artifacting, but it is also a double edged sword. Too much smoothing will result in less detail, after images and an over all blury picture. Remember the captured video will not look better than the source. If the source, such as a TV station looks like crud, then you can't do anything about it.

www.vcdhelp.com has everything you need to start capturing.

TMPEnc is also a great companion to virtual dub. If you get good enough, you can frame serve project files to TMPEnc to make Meg1 and Mpeg 2 files that you can use to make you own VCDs, SVCD, or DVDs. Meg 1 files are also great for streaming on My Space. ;)