PDA

View Full Version : Athlon 64 4000 -- What Fan/Heatsink?

spirited1
09-24-05, 11:53 AM
Ok, the time has come for me to ditch the stock cooler for my Athlon 64 4000. Tooooo loud! So I've been looking at a few replacements. The Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 (http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=10&disc=) looks like a good choice. V low noise (my priority) and decent cooling too.

My only issue with it is it's damn size. I suppose it's not that much of a problem but I'd rather something smaller, but just as efficient as the Freezer 64. So, is there any other products similar that are as good, but don't take up as much room? Ideally, it would be around the same size as the stock heatsink and fan, but much quieter. If it was easy to fit that would be a great bonus. I may o/c at some point but that's not a priority.

Superfly
09-24-05, 04:37 PM
XP90 or the Zalman 7700 series.

^^ actually I think Zalman just replaced the 7700 with a new product "9500" so get that instead - looks fookin awesome.

spirited1
09-27-05, 01:20 PM
Thanks Superfly, I'll look into that 9500. :)

Ninjaman09
09-27-05, 01:38 PM
SCREW THAT.

Get this instead:
http://www.silenxusa.com/productcart/pc/viewCat_Z.asp?idCategory=11

This thing is AWESOME...cools better than the XP-90C and it's practically inaudible.

|MaguS|
09-27-05, 01:41 PM
Really? I might look into it, hope it can fight on my MB.

Ninjaman09
09-27-05, 01:50 PM
It will...it even fit on my ABit AN8, and that was really cramped. There's enough clearance for it to fit even if it covers the DRAM slots (it has on both my boards). However it is extremely easy to install and remove so it's not much of an issue, unless you change your RAM out very frequently.

On your board, I'm pretty sure it'll fit, though it will definitely cover your RAM slots.

ViN86
09-27-05, 02:14 PM
that thing heavy or what? it definitely looks effective.

Ninjaman09
09-27-05, 02:26 PM
Actually, it's surprisingly light. At least, it's not any heavier than the XP-90C (as far as I could tell). And I was pretty shocked at how much lower my temps were - with only one video card installed, my CPU idles at 33C...that's 7C lower than it used to! With both GPUs installed it idles around 38C, no doubt a result of the increased ambient temperature. The chipset temperature increases the exact same amount so it is clear where the added heat comes from. I'm glad I got this thing, or I might have had a heat problem on my hands!

It's also practically inaudible, as I said before. And while you're at it, the SilenX 120mm case fans are incredible as well. I literally can not hear them unless I sit right next to my case. The only thing in my case that makes noise is my power supply and my video cards (all of which are admittedly pretty loud).