PDA

View Full Version : AGP fastwrite

jj87
09-24-05, 12:01 PM
I have a 6800GT, and i don't know how to enable AGP fastwrite.
anyone know how to?
i think it migh tbe in the bios, but i can't find the damn thing.
thanks

Peoples-Agent
09-24-05, 12:37 PM
It should be enabled by default, but if your not certain, you can check in the nVidia display properties.

jj87
09-24-05, 12:52 PM
is it called write combining?

PikachuMan
09-24-05, 01:05 PM
is it called write combining?

no..

If fastwrites are not enabled by default, it's usually a good indication you forgot to install some drivers (for your motherboard/chipset/AGP).

BTW, where are you seeing fastwrites as not enabled?

jj87
09-24-05, 01:10 PM
well, the write combining is enabled, and i see that under the troubleshoot tab in the display properties

but, i was at the windows media player site, and i wanted to play some HD video
i clicked on the software thing they have to see if my system could play it, but they said i couldn't because i don't have AGP fast write enabled

OWA
09-24-05, 01:30 PM
You should be able to still play it with fastwrites off but it is usually smoother when fastwrites are on. There's a chance it'll drop frames with it off but it worked fine for me with the 6800U even with fastwrites off (although I didn't check the statistics to verify frames weren't being dropped).

Also, if you turn on fastwrites, you might have issues with games. With my 6800GT, gaming was fine with fastwrites on but with my 6800U, I had to have fastwrites off.

Edit: What motherboard do you have? That might help us help you find the fastwrites option in your bios.

jj87
09-24-05, 03:00 PM
i have the ABIT AW8-Max 3rd-Eye II motherboard

and when i'm watching some the HD video, it seems to have lines on it?

i think it might have something to do with the AGP fastwrite

and when i'm playing doom, it's not as if the computer is having trouble with the game but the monitor is having alittle trouble with it. it is a flat panel

could that be the reason?

PikachuMan
09-24-05, 04:26 PM
Odd, that motherboard is listed as being PCI-E, not AGP.

jj87
09-24-05, 04:29 PM
it is PCI-E
i have a PNY 6800GT PCI-E in it

msxyz
09-24-05, 05:47 PM
Besides checking drivers and such, be sure that fast write is enabled in the BIOS!

Usually the default presets of motherboards have FW disabled because of compatibility issues with certain cards/configurations

Fast writes is a feature introduced with AGP 2.0 that allow the CPU to adress directly the memory of the videocard as if it were part of the main ram. It's useful in games because it allow faster transfer of the vertex data (==the polygons coordinates, so to speak).

jj87
09-24-05, 05:57 PM
would you happen to know where in the bios that setting is located?

i've been looking all over without luck

Peoples-Agent
09-24-05, 06:09 PM
Do you even have fast writes with PCI-e boards??????????????

jj87
09-24-05, 06:11 PM
i have no idea!

Peoples-Agent
09-24-05, 06:26 PM
Nah, i'm pretty certain Fast Writes isn't even a factor with PCI Express systems.

OWA
09-24-05, 07:03 PM
No, fast writes is an AGP thing. There isn't a setting like that for PCIe.

jj87
09-24-05, 09:53 PM
then why the heck am i getting that alert?

and on my gigabyte motherboard that's 8x agp, i can't find anything about AGP fast write

AthlonXP1800
09-24-05, 10:05 PM
Well motherboards with PCI Express x16 does not have AGP Fast Write setting, that is only for motherboards with AGP slot. It look like to me that you took the hard drive off from your old system with Gigabyte motherboard and installed it in your new system could explain that problem you had. All you need to do is to full format the hard drive and have clean install Windows XP will solve the problem.

jj87
09-24-05, 10:14 PM
well originally i was talking about my new system that i just made with pci-e and then asked about my other system with the 8x agp

TierMann
09-24-05, 10:43 PM
jj87,
On my gigabyte board the setting for fastwrites is under "Advanced Chipset Features" which is hidden in the bios unless I press ctrl+F1 when I'm on the main menu. It's on by default though and Ctrl+F1 doesn't work with all bios's. Only mostly with Award bios.

jj87
09-24-05, 10:45 PM
thanks alot man
i apprecaite that

AthlonXP1800
09-24-05, 10:48 PM
I am sorry to say that you are not giving enough information about your problem with no spec of your new system posted. Could you please post full spec along with:

OS version
Motherboard BIOS version
Videocard BIOS version
MediaPlayer version
Forceware driver version

Could you provide us the links where you been downloaded HD videos to see if we can reproduce the problem you had and also could you take a screenshot of AGP alert you had and post it or on imageshack (http://www.imageshack.us/) for free image hosting.

When you give all the information and we will have better idea what the problem is and how to fix it. :)

jj87
09-24-05, 10:53 PM
i apreciate you taking the time out to help aswel

tomorrow i'll go ahead and do that on the new system

i can tell you right now it's a PNY verto 6800GT and the motherboard is a ABIT AW8-Max 3rd-Eye II Socket T

however i'll get you the other information tomorrow

thanks again