PDA

View Full Version : My computer spontaneously died on me…


TB303
09-24-05, 03:55 PM
Hi people,
My computer stopped reacting.

It was fine for the last few months, than earlier today I was playing a game, paused it, and went to do all sorts of things, then I saw the computer restarting (without me doing or pressing anything).

I though the game must have crashed it, but than I smelt a “burning plastic/rubber” smell and my comp will not boot. – When I restart it or turn on the power – the power and HDD LED’s light up – but there is no signal on the screen and I don’t even hear the tiny BEEP (from the BIOS POST).

At first, I thought it’s my PSU but I’ve opened the case and all the fans are working, LED’s (including the one on the MOBO) – so it’s not the PSU.
Then I thought if it’s my GFX (6800GT) – but the fan seems to be working and again I don’t hear the POST beep – which should have been there even if the GPU failed.

I’m at a loss here, as I mentioned all my Fans work. Could it be the HDD? How do I proceed in getting my computer back to working order?

Please advise, thanks!

PS
My specs:
AXP +2500
GigaByte 7GA mobo
1GB DDR
6800 GT
Audigy 2 ZS

jAkUp
09-24-05, 04:04 PM
Where is the burning smell coming from? Powersupply? Or maybe motherboard?

Try resetting the CMOS

TB303
09-24-05, 04:12 PM
Where is the burning smell coming from? Powersupply? Or maybe motherboard?

Try resetting the CMOS

It's difficult to tell where the smell came from.
The PSU is quite new (TAGAN 480W) - less than 3 months and seems to be working.

How do I reset the CMOS?

thanks!

jAkUp
09-24-05, 04:15 PM
Pull the power plug out of the system, then open up the case and remove the CMOS battery... (its silver and round) For a few minutes, then pop it back in and powerup.

TB303
09-24-05, 04:25 PM
Pull the power plug out of the system, then open up the case and remove the CMOS battery... (its silver and round) For a few minutes, then pop it back in and powerup.

And that will reset all the bios settings?
But it still doesn't solve the casue to this condition, which is still unknown.

Any other ideas?

TB303
09-24-05, 06:42 PM
What seems really wierd and a telling sign to me is the lack of any beep or beeps from the mobo, I checked the documentation for the MOBO (GA-7VA) and there ar emany different beeps dependeing on the fault, but no "NO BEEP"...

What do you think it means?

Starscream
09-24-05, 10:00 PM
If there is a burning smell STOP RIGHT NOW you are just making it worse.

Based on your description it is very likely your power supply that has died.

Take the power supply out of the case and smell the opening where the fan is on the back, if the smell is strongest there then the power supply is DEAD and I wouldn't be surprised if you trying to turn it on again repeatedly has killed at least a few other components.

I hope for your sake that you haven't fried the motherboard or anything else.

If you determine it is the power supply I'd highly recommend testing as many components one at a time as you can in a seperate pc you know is good and reliable.

Also in regards to the motherboard not beeping at all, that's not surprising most motherboards won't even beep when you have a dead power supply, and yes screwed up power supplies will often put out enough juice to get fans spinning and drives spinning up.

TB303
09-25-05, 03:25 PM
Ok people,
A quick update.

I opened the case and try to replace the GPU and see if it matters, it didn't.
The next step was to try another PSU - but as I disconnected all the internal wiring I saw a little something has fallen from the board - I also believe I found where it fall off of.

Please find the attached pics and tell me what you think,

Notice that the "Fallen bit" has some burning marks (Small black discharge) from the top - which isn't present on other "Similar bits" in the mobo.

What do you think? is the MOBO screwed? should I continue and try to replace the PSU with the crappy one and see if it works? what do you think?

Images:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/TB404/IMG_2199.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/TB404/img_2201_new.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/TB404/img_2203_New.jpg

Please share yoru thoughts, thanks!

CaptNKILL
09-25-05, 03:36 PM
Ah.. blown capacitors. Happens all the time. You'll have to replace the board, thats for sure. Its hard to say if anything else was at fault (a power supply tester would be very handy... see if you can buy one somewhere, like NewEgg.com) but the board is deffinitely toast.

Spyke
09-27-05, 10:36 AM
Looks like one of the black FET's moved itself slightly too from overheating.

TB303
09-28-05, 05:30 AM
Looks like one of the black FET's moved itself slightly too from overheating.

So it's definitly from overheating?
I have no way of testing it, but do you this thos urned/fallen caps hurt any other cards or the PSU?

thanks!

TB303
10-04-05, 11:42 AM
A quick update:

I've now gotten myself a proper mobo - Abit AV8 3rd Eye - it has 100% japanease capacitators, amongst other features.

Turns out nothing was harmed, my PSU, GPU and everything else is fine.

Thanks for your advice!

|JuiceZ|
10-04-05, 01:10 PM
A quick update:

I've now gotten myself a proper mobo - Abit AV8 3rd Eye - it has 100% japanease capacitators, amongst other features.

Turns out nothing was harmed, my PSU, GPU and everything else is fine.

Thanks for your advice!

I get chills just thinking about that electrical burning smell, glad you're back up and running :thumbsup: