PDA

View Full Version : How many monitors can you hook up on SLI ?

SH64
09-24-05, 09:13 PM
As the titles says .. a friend of mine is wondering if its possible to hook up more than 2 monitors when using SLI setup ?
& does it work correctly ? any additional info will be appreciated :)

OWA
09-24-05, 09:17 PM
Only one, I think. I have two connected but as long as SLI is enabled, the other monitor doesn't work.

SH64
09-24-05, 09:20 PM
Only one, I think. I have two connected but as long as SLI is enabled, the other monitor doesn't work.

& what if SLI is disabled ? can i go up to 3 or 4 ??

OWA
09-24-05, 09:26 PM
Hmm, that I'm not sure of. I have a 3rd monitor I can connect so I guess I can see how that goes. Does he need the info right away?

OWA
09-24-05, 09:33 PM
Three works so I'm pretty sure 4 would. I now have two CRTs and one LCD connected. My main CRT and the LCD are connected to the first card. The other CRT is connected to the 2nd card.

Wish SLI would just disable the monitors when gaming and allow them to be used in Windows without having to go through the SLI disable/reboot step.

Edit: Also, is there anything you want me to check while I have all 3 connected.

SH64
09-24-05, 09:37 PM
Interesting .. thanks a lot for the info OWA!!
my friend is in a vacation out of the country , but he called just to ask about this lol .. i dont know how geeky is that.

anyway feel free to add any kind of info you'd like to add .. i'm sure it might come in handy.

EDIT : dunno .. whatever you like to check for. maybe running games or running a game on 1 montior & an app on other one .. if that even makes sense?

OWA
09-24-05, 09:40 PM
Okay, I'll try a couple of games while in this mode to see what happens.

Edit: It looks like the nvidia control panel only deals with two monitors unless maybe I have to select the other card somehow and then set up how it is supposed to operate. It may take me a little while to see if I can do that.

Edit 2: It also looks like the nvidia control panel has settings for each card. Look at the screencap of the nvidia control panel and you'll see the 7800GTX and the 7800GTX (2).

SH64
09-24-05, 09:58 PM
Edit 2: It also looks like the nvidia control panel has settings for each card. Look at the screencap of the nvidia control panel and you'll see the 7800GTX and the 7800GTX (2).

Hmm so its not recognizing the 3rd montior for the CP settings ?

OWA
09-24-05, 10:07 PM
It does when I'm just in windows (i.e. the windows setup deals with it). I can have the desktop spanned across all three monitors. As far as the nvidia control panel/hardware acceleration, it appears to just deal in groups of two so you couldn't have a game span all 4 monitors, for example. At least, as far as I can tell.

SH64
09-24-05, 10:22 PM
Allright thanks alot for your help & your time OWA :thumbsup:
everyone else feel free to add more info if you have some.

ricercar
09-25-05, 01:02 AM
You can activate two displays per card without SLI. You can activate one display with SLI.

GlowStick
09-25-05, 01:27 AM
Yep what they said is correct. Also, I would tell him to wait untill after the Rel 80 drivers are out to make a decision. Those are going to offer some improvements that may make dual or quad monitors more appealing with sli. However I woulnt jump the gun on it untill its out in the feild.

PoGGeh
09-25-05, 01:55 AM
Rel80 drivers will remove the need to reboot to change between en/dis/abled.

SLI can have four monitors on DVI up to 1920x1200.

4 x Dell 24" TFTs is so pretty.

GlowStick
09-25-05, 02:05 AM
Rel80 drivers will remove the need to reboot to change between en/dis/abled.

SLI can have four monitors on DVI up to 1920x1200.

4 x Dell 24" TFTs is so pretty.
While that is said, we dont know exactly how it will work. Though it may be possible it may become a hassel with primary monitors, Windows 'icon weridness' and other stuff. So he should wait to hear reports on how it works out in pratice.

jAkUp
09-25-05, 02:20 AM
I had heard that nVIdia plans to implement dual displays in SLI mode.

MUYA
09-25-05, 02:51 AM
Does anyone know if the quadro 4500 supports dual display SLI?

superklye
09-25-05, 03:03 AM
That would be phenomenal if true. I don't care for multi-monitor gaming, but I cannot live without two monitors now. I have my 22" CRT at work running at 1920x1440 just because I only have on monitor. It kills my eyes and I have terrible headaches, but I NEED THAT SPACE, DAMN IT!

GlowStick
09-25-05, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know if the quadro 4500 supports dual display SLI?
It dose, however it is diffrent, whats werid is it is required that each display is on its own card. 3dprofessor tried to give a very technical explinaton of it but its still werid.