PDA

View Full Version : Starting from Scratch; Which nV to Get?

FrogEatFrog
09-25-05, 01:48 AM
After being in the dark-ages of obsolete computers (and in another country) for a few years, I am ready to rejoin the modern would. :) I am going to build a new computer from scratch! I'm pretty convinced that AMD/nVidia is the way to go, especially as I like to dual-boot Windows and Linux, and want to be able to play games created after 2001. ;)

Being out-of-the-loop for so long though, I'm not really sure what's the best graphics card to buy. My target range for the entire computer is $1200-$1700, most likely in the middle of the range. Would it be best to buy a 6800GT or 7800GT (or something else)? I'm in no rush; would it be better to wait a few months? (I don't want to wait more than 6 though.) Finally, does it matter whether I go with MSI, eVGA, Albatron, or somebody else entirely? (And is there any advantage to, say, have an MSI nVidia card on an MSI motherboard?)

Thanks!

P.S.: Random question: Which is better: a 7800GT or two 6800GT's in SLI? How about a 7800GT vs two 6600GT's in SLI?

OWA
09-25-05, 02:00 AM
Check the below link. It has a pretty good comparison for recent cards and includes SLI setups as well.

I like eVGA and BFG. I really don't think you'll go wrong with any of them.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/2005-17gpu.html

superklye
09-25-05, 02:32 AM
If you really want, go to newegg, get the eVGA 7800GTX and the free nFORCE4 SLI board that comes with it. $550 well spent right there. :)

j0j081
09-25-05, 06:13 AM
If you can't find the deal there go to zipzoomfly.com A friend of mine just ordered that package.

SilentRob
09-25-05, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the hot tip... even though that offer is apparently expired at newegg, I just picked up the very same offer at ZipZoomFly for $549... They're also offering two 7800GTX's and the eVGA nForce4 board for $999, but that's a little much for me. I'll probably wait for the card to drop a little more in price before I totally splurge!

I also picked up an X2 3800+, a 1GB set of Corsair Twinx 3200XL's and a Coolermaster RS-450-ACLX 450W PSU to replace the Antec 380 TruePower in my Sonata. Hopefully the shipment won't get jacked from my front porch before I get home Wednesday. I'll let you know how this all works out. I may have to get a case with better ventilation, however!

But again, thanks superklye, because I was originally planning on getting an ATI X800XL at Fry's, which along with a decent board would have cost me about $400, but I figured that on a deal like this one, I might as well just go for it. I have no idea why I was even considering Fry's anymore.

This should be a nice replacement to my TBird 1.2 on an A7V with 448MB PC100 and a 64MB GeForce2 Ultra, don'tcha think?

SilentRob
09-25-05, 06:23 AM
And, oh yeah, when you consider that this has VIVO and will save me over $50 on a TV card and keep an extra slot free, the deal gets even sweeter over the X800XL.

keith33
09-25-05, 06:41 AM
Good job SilentRob, welcome to the GTX club, population YOU. :)
We initiate people using the paddle, get ready for it.

FrogEatFrog
09-25-05, 10:54 AM
If you can't find the deal there go to zipzoomfly.com A friend of mine just ordered that package.
Superkyle and j0j081, thanks for the advice, but I can't find either of the deals! Deals for graphics cards seem to come and go quickly! As already mentioned, the NewEgg deal seems to be gone. The zipzoomfly.com deal now is for a free SLI motherboard when you purchase *two* 7800GTX's, and I don't have nearly $1000 to spend on gfx+mobo alone now!

I'm thinking of waiting until the day after Thanksgiving to buy the pricey stuff like the graphics card and processor. Do you think there's a better possibility of getting good deals then?

FrogEatFrog
09-25-05, 11:17 AM
Check the below link. It has a pretty good comparison for recent cards and includes SLI setups as well.

I like eVGA and BFG. I really don't think you'll go wrong with any of them.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/2005-17gpu.html

Thanks for the link, OWA! That was an extremely helpful comparison of the various graphics cards configurations. (And of course validated my nVidia vis-a-vis ATi choice to boot. ;) ) From what I glean from the comparison, (a) SLI is simply not worth the money for now unless you go with the top-level card, which would be prohibitively expensive (but makes a killer upgrade path for the future, when the now-top-level-card comes down in price a bit), and (b) the difference between the 6800GT and the 7800GT is very noticable, but the 6800GT is still plenty good for now.

Therefore, the best option right now seems to be to get a 7800GT; the gain might not be earth-shattering, but it's very good, and it will take longer to become obsolete (especially when I can SLI it in the future!) and is only around $100 more. (Is there any compelling reason to spend an additional $100 or so to get the GTX rather than the GT?)

The other would be to get the 6800GT now, and then skip a generation (i.e.: the 7x00 series) and upgrade to whatever comes afterwards. That would only make sense if the generation after the 7x00's is going to be much, much better in some way though, which I haven't heard yet.

Mr_LoL
09-25-05, 11:38 AM
Superkyle and j0j081, thanks for the advice, but I can't find either of the deals! Deals for graphics cards seem to come and go quickly! As already mentioned, the NewEgg deal seems to be gone. The zipzoomfly.com deal now is for a free SLI motherboard when you purchase *two* 7800GTX's, and I don't have nearly $1000 to spend on gfx+mobo alone now!

I'm thinking of waiting until the day after Thanksgiving to buy the pricey stuff like the graphics card and processor. Do you think there's a better possibility of getting good deals then?

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=322727-246703

superklye
09-25-05, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the hot tip... even though that offer is apparently expired at newegg, I just picked up the very same offer at ZipZoomFly for $549... They're also offering two 7800GTX's and the eVGA nForce4 board for $999, but that's a little much for me. I'll probably wait for the card to drop a little more in price before I totally splurge!

I also picked up an X2 3800+, a 1GB set of Corsair Twinx 3200XL's and a Coolermaster RS-450-ACLX 450W PSU to replace the Antec 380 TruePower in my Sonata. Hopefully the shipment won't get jacked from my front porch before I get home Wednesday. I'll let you know how this all works out. I may have to get a case with better ventilation, however!

But again, thanks superklye, because I was originally planning on getting an ATI X800XL at Fry's, which along with a decent board would have cost me about $400, but I figured that on a deal like this one, I might as well just go for it. I have no idea why I was even considering Fry's anymore.

This should be a nice replacement to my TBird 1.2 on an A7V with 448MB PC100 and a 64MB GeForce2 Ultra, don'tcha think?
No problem! And I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

FrogEatFrog
09-25-05, 12:04 PM
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=322727-246703
Ah, so it still does exist. Thanks AA!

Kojiro
09-25-05, 01:37 PM
www.zipzoomfly rules. Free 2 day shipping, even to Hawaii (except for a very inexpensive 10 dollar handleing fee). The same stuf costs 40 to 50 bucks to ship from New Egg. That's why I never buy from them ;)

SilentRob
09-26-05, 02:52 AM
(Is there any compelling reason to spend an additional $100 or so to get the GTX rather than the GT?)

Yes, you'll be able to walk up to your soon-to-be-former friends, and cackle wildly, saying "HAHAHAHAAAAA, I have a 7800GTX and you don't! 7800GT? Get out of the past, kid!"