PDA

View Full Version : Recomended MOBO for 6800GT AGP - 939?

TB303
09-25-05, 04:45 PM
Hi people,
I guess I urgently need to get a new MOBO.

I have a 6800GT AGP - and I need the Mobo to support AGP of course.
I also have two 184-pin 512MB DDR 400 chips I'd like to be able to use.
I'm going to buy a A64 +3200 CPU now but would like the board to have some future proofing - while supporting socket 939

I remember reading that he 6800 clashed with certain Nforce mobo's but couldn't remember which.

If you can recomend me a make and model it would be greatly appericiated,

Thanks!

superklye
09-25-05, 05:24 PM
Well, there are "random stutter bugs" with 6800s and the nFORCE3 chipset, but I have the EPoX 9NDA3+ nFORCE3 Ultra board with an eVGA 6800GT and I've had not a single problem. This board is AWESOME, by the way.

It's about $100 new on NewEgg, but I'm going to be selling mine very shortly. I've had it about a month and a half and it's rock solid...if you're interested, let me know. Maybe we can work something out. :)

Roliath
09-25-05, 05:36 PM
I know I didn't have good luck with my MSI Neo4 Plat. SLI, but I did have great results with the MSI Neo2 Platinum. I never experienced any of the "stutter bugs" though.
And it was a decent overclocker, nothing too amazing but it was okay. The Neo2 had problems with incorrect temp readings, so you might want to look into that aswell.

CaptNKILL
09-25-05, 06:19 PM
Epox 9NDA3J :)

Great board, low price, lots of features... they even give you some little ramsinks and a screwdriver in the box :D

superklye
09-25-05, 06:25 PM
Epox 9NDA3J :)

Great board, low price, lots of features... they even give you some little ramsinks and a screwdriver in the box :D
Yup, the + is the same board, but has more features. What they are, I don't remember, but it DOES have more stuff. :)

TB303
09-25-05, 06:34 PM
Right,

So if Nforce3 had some problems does that mean Nforce 4 boards are "safer/better"?

PS
WHat is the difference between NF3/4 anyway? thanks!

superklye
09-25-05, 06:37 PM
NF3 is AGP based, NF4 is PCIe.

CaptNKILL
09-25-05, 07:04 PM
Actually... you might want to consider that Asrock board with the new ULi chipset. It seems to perform great, its dirt cheap and it has BOTH PCI-E and AGP. That alone makes it worth it. I havent used one, but the PCI-E slot will give you LOTS of options later, where as an AGP only board leaves you out in the cold as far as video upgrades.

TB303
09-25-05, 10:00 PM
Do you think the new ASROCK is better than the MSI Neo 2 Platinum?

What was yoru experience?

marqmajere
09-25-05, 11:11 PM
Epox 9NDA3J. it even comes with a little screwdriver kit and mini heatsinks for the mosfet chips. :)

Absolution
09-25-05, 11:54 PM
i had no stutter bug on my msi neo2 platinum, my friend did though

good board imo though

CaptNKILL
09-26-05, 12:03 AM
Do you think the new ASROCK is better than the MSI Neo 2 Platinum?

What was yoru experience?
Like I said, Ive never used the Asrock, I have an Epox 9NDA3J... I was just putting it out there as an option if you think you might upgrade to a PCI-E video card eventually. Other than boards (like the Asrock) with the ULi chipset, you will ONLY have PCI-E Slots *OR* an AGP slot.

So its up to you... if you dont want to bother with PCI-E, I recommend the Epox 9NDA3J. If you think a PCI-E video card might be something you'll want in the next year, hands down go with the Asrock... itl save you an assload of money and trouble when you want to upgrade your video card.

TB303
09-26-05, 02:12 PM
Thanks for your feedback everyone!

In the end I ordered the Abit AV8-3RD Eye - one of the things to tip the scale was this review from Rage3D - http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/mobo/abitav8/index.php?p=2

cheers for all your feedback and suggestions!