PDA

View Full Version : I Am Super Pissed!!!

Pages : [1] 2

six_storm
09-25-05, 07:13 PM
As all of you know, I recently put a nice PC together for college (see sig below). The Steam update on 9/23 screwed my PC up pretty bad, as it did other's PCs as well but I think I got the worst of it.

So I get home last night from work and play CS:S for about an hour or so. Everything seemed to work fine and so on but this morning, I turned on my PC and Windows wouldn't boot up at all. WTF? "Well, I guess I need to reformat and get my PC back to running like it was a few days ago before the update." I started to reformat and some weird things started happening:

1) "Windows cannot copy (insert file name here)" - Off of a clean, non-scratched CD, the Windows Setup gives me this. Every time that I reformatted, this would pop up. BTW, it was NOT making this error on the same file.

2) On my 2nd (or 3rd) attempt of reformatting, I actually got Windows to boot up! Unfortunately, I received an error about my profile was corrupted and a temporary account would be created for that pariticular log on.

3) I had a copy of XP Home Edition laying around so I figured that my XP Pro CD was "dirty" or just something weird. I "pressed any key to boot from CD" but it froze up. WTF!!!!????

Something is telling me that my Hard Drive is bad, failing or that the CS:S update screwed it up. Can something like that update really mess up my hard drive that much? I found my old IDE 80GB that I'm reformatting right now so Ima try to install XP Pro on there. I'll keep you guys updated.

rflair
09-25-05, 07:39 PM
The error you described is more typical of bad RAM or CPU although it could be the hardrive. I would say its the RAM and can replicate your exact error by either tightening the RAM timings to tight or running them at a higher then stable speed. Sometimes the hardrive or missing file isn't even corrupted it just becomes so in system memory, running your system like this will however eventually corrupt windows system files.

It may be your CPU or Harddrive but I doubt its either one, unless your CPU is overclocked.

six_storm
09-25-05, 07:53 PM
I haven't had my parts but less than a week and I have NOT overclocked anything. I'm thinking of sending all of my stuff back and just getting something cheaper from Dell or somewhere else. I'm so mad right now and I'm so sick and tired of PCs ****ing up. OMG!

Riptide
09-25-05, 07:54 PM
As usual it can't "just work". :rolleyes:

Such is life in the open marketplace. I would suspect RAM first. Setup a memtest floppy and start some diagnostics.

superklye
09-25-05, 08:46 PM
Or download/burn the Ultimate Boot CD. It's got a ton of tests/diagnostics on it and doesn't require a floppy (obviously since it's a CD).

six_storm
09-25-05, 09:19 PM
Ok, now that I have calmed down and gotten a bite to eat, I thought of a very possible way my little mishap could've happened.

That Steam update could've changed my registry in some way therefore stressing the RAM or CPU causing it to mess up. Does that make sense? I guess I just need to run a few tests. Or, I could just send the RAM or CPU back to NewEgg getting both of them replaced. What do you guys think?

retsam
09-25-05, 09:23 PM
download and run knoppix .... see if that works for ya

Roliath
09-25-05, 09:27 PM
Memtest the ram first.
Than see if you can test the cpu in another rig (if possible)

Riptide
09-25-05, 10:09 PM
Have you double checked all your BIOS settings to make sure nothing is misconfigured? Is your CPU voltage set to auto and all dividers/fsb speeds are correct?

Start with memtesting the RAM (use memtest86+). If it passes I would then suspect bad CPU or motherboard. Assuming you don't have any configuration issues.

My sympathies BTW. I've been through this sort of thing before myself. A lot of PC hardware is junk. Even stuff from good name brands. I've seen proof positive of that. You may have just been (like me) unlucky and ended up with defective kit. Remember, I've had 2 out of 3 kits of OCZ memory from newegg that was defective right out of the box. Ridiculous.

six_storm
09-25-05, 10:16 PM
Ok, I tried the memtest and it passed (at least put Passed = 1). Maybe just my CPU? I don't have another system to try it out on or anything like that.

six_storm
09-25-05, 10:18 PM
Have you double checked all your BIOS settings to make sure nothing is misconfigured? Is your CPU voltage set to auto and all dividers/fsb speeds are correct?

Start with memtesting the RAM (use memtest86+). If it passes I would then suspect bad CPU or motherboard. Assuming you don't have any configuration issues.

My sympathies BTW. I've been through this sort of thing before myself. A lot of PC hardware is junk. Even stuff from good name brands. I've seen proof positive of that. You may have just been (like me) unlucky and ended up with defective kit. Remember, I've had 2 out of 3 kits of OCZ memory from newegg that was defective right out of the box. Ridiculous.

Well thank you Rip. I know it's not the RAM or Hard Drive (I've replaced them both with spare parts and it still BSODs). I just hate knowing the fact that everything was fine until that update on Friday ya know? Also, I hate knowing that getting a replacement for whatever is going to be a pain in the butt. I have NO patience whatsoever lol. Thanks for the help everybody.

oldsk00l
09-25-05, 10:24 PM
The knoppix advice given above is the best ever.

Reformat/repartition the disk from knoppix, just goto the root console and run qtparted and it'll set up partitions just as easy as partition magic.

Then, run some of the HD scanning utils to check for bad sectors.

If knoppix starts screwing up, it's your RAM for certain because it doesn't use any runtimes from the HD, it all loads into a virtual ramdisk.

AthlonXP1800
09-25-05, 10:26 PM
1) "Windows cannot copy (insert file name here)" - Off of a clean, non-scratched CD, the Windows Setup gives me this. Every time that I reformatted, this would pop up. BTW, it was NOT making this error on the same file.

3) I had a copy of XP Home Edition laying around so I figured that my XP Pro CD was "dirty" or just something weird. I "pressed any key to boot from CD" but it froze up. WTF!!!!????

Something is telling me that my Hard Drive is bad

I had similar problems you had when I build a new system last month with a 250Gb Western Digital SATAII hard drive, it booted fine for first time and went into Windows setup to do full format the hard drive, it wouldnt format at all, it stuck at 0% on the progress bar. After 1 hour for nothing, I restarted the PC and try again but it frozed when booted the CD and I waited for about 15 mins and it reached Windows setup. I realised something is bad very wrong with brand new hard drive, tried to do quick format and then bit later it wouldn't copied files from Windows CD because it couldn't find the files. Back to my old system and downloaded all hard drive diagnostics and used all these tools to test my new hard drive and to my surprised, all had been failed so that mean the new hard drive is faulty. I RMAed the faulty hard drive and 10 days later I received a replacement and then everything worked fine, finally can formatted and install Windows XP SP2. :p The technical support form confirmed that the faulty hard drive had clicks.

First you should try out running Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic (http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp) for either Windows and DOS

six_storm
09-25-05, 10:58 PM
Ok, so I tried switching out CPUs in two of my machines and the CPU is not the problem. I still get the same BSOD. Maybe I should check the memory again . . .

Riptide
09-25-05, 11:15 PM
Run memtest for longer than one pass. Overnight is really the optimal test. But if it passes and you know the CPU is OK... It's either motherboard, hard disc, or you have something set wrong in the BIOS somewhere.

six_storm
09-25-05, 11:26 PM
Ok I just tried switching CPUs in 2 different machines, 2 different HDDs and 2 sets of RAM and I still get the same results. I'm guessing it's my Motherboard so Ima call NewEgg tomorrow afternoon and see what they can do about it.

oldsk00l
09-26-05, 09:26 AM
GL dude, hope Asus hewks j00 up.

Kojiro
09-26-05, 11:37 PM
Have you ever tried pressing F8 and selecting use last good configurations, or going into safe mode?

Sounds like a virus infection. I am surprized how many people intently point to PSU, Ram, and CPU. It like an automative reflex. Propbaly because they don't know how to troubleshoot. :p

Now that you have already tried to reinstall windows, I don't think Last known config will work.

All i know, is that the problem is not your hardware. It was a software problem that caused it and some residual software is hindering your reinstallation.

Wipe out all partitions. The partition table was probably corrupted when you franticaly and blindly tried to reinstall. And start over from scratch. All your data will be lost. This is the reason why people make back ups every so often. :rolleyes:

Better yet get a professional to do it for you. ;)

superklye
09-26-05, 11:56 PM
Have you ever tried pressing F8 and selecting use last good configurations, or going into safe mode?

Sounds like a virus infection. I am surprized how many people intently point to PSU, Ram, and CPU. It like an automative reflex. Propbaly because they don't know how to troubleshoot. :p

Now that you have already tried to reinstall windows, I don't think Last known config will work.

All i know, is that the problem is not your hardware. It was a software problem that caused it and some residual software is hindering your reinstallation.

Wipe out all partitions. The partition table was probably corrupted when you franticaly and blindly tried to reinstall. And start over from scratch. All your data will be lost. This is the reason why people make back ups every so often. :rolleyes:

Better yet get a professional to do it for you. ;)
You're being quite condescending and it's really unnecessary. If you had read his first post you'd see that he tried reformatting a number of times, each of which failed.

Last time I checked, there weren't any viruses going around that prevent you from reformatting your hard drive in an environment with no running OS. And with the A64/NF4 NX capabilities, even if there was one, it's doubtful it would be able to run.

six_storm
09-27-05, 02:47 AM
Yeah, I've tried a hundred things to try and get it to work. I even tried to use the "fixmbr" and "fixboot" just for the heck of it but nothing else happened. I kept getting BSODs right before the Welcome screen showed up.

Anyways, I shipped my ASUS Mobo back to their RMA department in Louisville KY. They shall recieve it tomorrow and hopefully they will just ship a replacement back pretty fast lol.

Oh and here's my luck. Now my old gaming rig (Mom's PC) is screwed up. Everytime she turns it on, it displays weird funky colors on the monitor. I've tried different monitors and have even reformatted. I took it out of the office and up to my room and it works 99.9% of the time but when I put it back, it keeps doing the same thing. Weird huh?

When posting, it gives a long beep, (lol I forgot my boot codes) which I'm guessing that it's either Video or CPU problems. Talk about some bad luck with computers all of a sudden. PCs don't like me very well.

Oh yeah, one other thing. I really REALLY hope that my mobo was the only problem on my new gaming rig. It's gonna take about 2 more weeks to get a replacement back! AHHH!!!

TierMann
09-27-05, 03:02 AM
Is there a temp difference between the office and your room?

retsam
09-27-05, 03:07 AM
The knoppix advice given above is the best ever.

Reformat/repartition the disk from knoppix, just goto the root console and run qtparted and it'll set up partitions just as easy as partition magic.

Then, run some of the HD scanning utils to check for bad sectors.

If knoppix starts screwing up, it's your RAM for certain because it doesn't use any runtimes from the HD, it all loads into a virtual ramdisk.
bingo!!!

CainSyris
09-27-05, 05:37 AM
Yeah, I've tried a hundred things to try and get it to work. I even tried to use the "fixmbr" and "fixboot" just for the heck of it but nothing else happened. I kept getting BSODs right before the Welcome screen showed up.

Anyways, I shipped my ASUS Mobo back to their RMA department in Louisville KY. They shall recieve it tomorrow and hopefully they will just ship a replacement back pretty fast lol.

Oh and here's my luck. Now my old gaming rig (Mom's PC) is screwed up. Everytime she turns it on, it displays weird funky colors on the monitor. I've tried different monitors and have even reformatted. I took it out of the office and up to my room and it works 99.9% of the time but when I put it back, it keeps doing the same thing. Weird huh?

When posting, it gives a long beep, (lol I forgot my boot codes) which I'm guessing that it's either Video or CPU problems. Talk about some bad luck with computers all of a sudden. PCs don't like me very well.

Oh yeah, one other thing. I really REALLY hope that my mobo was the only problem on my new gaming rig. It's gonna take about 2 more weeks to get a replacement back! AHHH!!!

I believe it's:

No fans turning, no power = dead motherboard
Fans turning, no bootup = dead CPU
beeeeep-beeeeep-beeeeep = bad memory

That leaves video card malfunction and I believe that's one long beep.

--

As to the original poster, of course you all forget that there is one other component being used when you boot up via a disc into memory. Every problem he described could also be caused by a faulty connection between the optical drive and his motherboard.

A trashed optical drive or a problem between the chipset and the drive's communication can cause data corruption, which would cause installations to botch and sporadic success in installing some parts, but having others turn out to be corrupted.

Just another avenue to consider.

Riptide
09-27-05, 09:17 AM
Basically assuming it's not a configuration problem he's going to have to play that fun hardware carousel game of swapping parts out until he figures out which one is broken. Yes I've been there a few times and it is upsetting enough that you want to throw that ****ing thing through a wall once you find it.

I once replaced nearly every fan in my entire system before tracking down a squeak in my Zalman 7000. And three months later, a new noise showed up. I finally gave up and lived with it. I hate fans. :mad:

Ninjaman09
09-27-05, 09:25 AM
Basically assuming it's not a configuration problem he's going to have to play that fun hardware carousel game of swapping parts out until he figures out which one is broken. Yes I've been there a few times and it is upsetting enough that you want to throw that ****ing thing through a wall once you find it.

I once replaced nearly every fan in my entire system before tracking down a squeak in my Zalman 7000. And three months later, a new noise showed up. I finally gave up and lived with it. I hate fans. :mad:
Indeed, I'm starting to regret ditching my water-cooling system...

As for your problem, six_storm, I agree with Riptide - you're gonna have to just swap stuff out until you find out what isn't working. It sucks, it's tedious, it's anxiety-inducing, and it's time consuming. Ah, the joys of computer troubleshooting!