PDA

View Full Version : PNY 6800GT running super hot?

Bloodsent
09-26-05, 12:38 PM
I have been searching through other threads here and noticed the idle and load temps on other people's 6800GTs and it made me worried. The idle temps on mine are 74C on GPU core and 52C on Ambient. These temps have been known to hit the 120C threshold on the GPU core during a normal gaming session.

Other statistics of the box.

Thermaltake Tsunami case with front and back 120MM fans.
AMD64 3000+ with Zalman 7000CU cooler
1 SATA and 1 PATA IDE drives
1 DVD-Burner
Audigy 2ZS

I have been noticing on occasion, more recently in the past few weeks, the screen will freeze with colored blocks, requiring a hard reboot.

Are these temps normal, or outrageously high for a 6800GT?

BioHazZarD
09-26-05, 12:41 PM
When was the last time you cleaned you card ?

Bloodsent
09-26-05, 12:44 PM
Yesterday, after getting worried. No change in temps.

DoomUK
09-26-05, 12:48 PM
What are your CPU/Chipset temps like? How good is the airflow inside your case? Are you sure all your fans are functioning properly?

120C under stress is far too high for a 6800 GT (or any video card for that matter).

Bloodsent
09-26-05, 01:55 PM
CPU temp is around 38C idle, with the Chipset around 34C. The fan on the CPU is running at 2000RPM and so are the 120MM intake in the front and exhaust in the back. It SEEMS that the airflow is good, and the fans are clean.

acrh2
09-26-05, 02:27 PM
These temperatures are very high. I'm not an expert on 6800gt temperatures, but my guess is that if you keep running your video card like that, you will irreversibly damage the gpu and/or ram. This is based on x800xt/7800gtx temperature thresholds, with which I'm familiar.
First confirm that these temperatures are real (some termperature sensors fail and start reporting incorrect temperatures after a while). Use a thermocouple digital thermometer. You would have to borrow one, as they are very expensive to own (400+ dollars). Most chemistry or physics labs would have one, like I do in my lab. Of course, the fact that you see artifacts and experience freezing already speaks of high temperatures. Also, at 120C, which is way above the boiling point of water, the heatsink would get unbearibly hot to the touch as well.
The most likely explation is that your GPU fan is dead. Can you see it spinning while the computer is running? Perhaps a replacement fan is in order. Also, if you do happen to replace the fan, it might be a good idea to lap the heatsink and reapply AS5 thermal compound. You might also consider getting an aftermarket cooling, such as those by http://www.arctic-cooling.com/ . Or better yet, trash the 6800gt and get a 7800gt instead :).

KickAssCop
09-26-05, 03:01 PM
You should be worried. My PNY maxed out at 88 C once running 3dmark05 test 2 because the ambient temp was around 47 C. Your card is running too hot. Btw is your card with blue pcb or green pcb. For reference, this special edition PNY card runs dandy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/KACDoom3Pics/edit4.jpg

Buck Armstrong
09-26-05, 04:02 PM
I have been searching through other threads here and noticed the idle and load temps on other people's 6800GTs and it made me worried. The idle temps on mine are 74C on GPU core and 52C on Ambient. These temps have been known to hit the 120C threshold on the GPU core during a normal gaming session.

Other statistics of the box.

Thermaltake Tsunami case with front and back 120MM fans.
AMD64 3000+ with Zalman 7000CU cooler
1 SATA and 1 PATA IDE drives
1 DVD-Burner
Audigy 2ZS

I have been noticing on occasion, more recently in the past few weeks, the screen will freeze with colored blocks, requiring a hard reboot.

Are these temps normal, or outrageously high for a 6800GT?

Mine used to idle at around 50-55 and hit 70s under load. I noticed the other day after a long break from gaming that it was idling in the 70s and hitting 110 under load. Just cleaning the card and sink made no difference, until I removed the cover and found some big compressed dust bunnies hiding in hard-to-reach places. Once I blasted them out and replaced the cover, temps returned to normal. So if you haven't removed the face-plate, try that.

Bloodsent
09-26-05, 04:53 PM
Mine used to idle at around 50-55 and hit 70s under load. I noticed the other day after a long break from gaming that it was idling in the 70s and hitting 110 under load. Just cleaning the card and sink made no difference, until I removed the cover and found some big compressed dust bunnies hiding in hard-to-reach places. Once I blasted them out and replaced the cover, temps returned to normal. So if you haven't removed the face-plate, try that.

This was my exact problem. I took the cover off, and noticed that there were dustbunnies built up between the fan and the heatsink caverns, basically blocking the air flow across the heatsink. Core is down to 50C. Phew.

Thanks for all of the help!

acrh2
09-26-05, 05:18 PM
When was the last time you cleaned you card ?

Yesterday, after getting worried. No change in temps.

Just cleaning the card and sink made no difference, until I removed the cover and found some big compressed dust bunnies hiding in hard-to-reach places. Once I blasted them out and replaced the cover, temps returned to normal. So if you haven't removed the face-plate, try that.

This was my exact problem. I took the cover off, and noticed that there were dustbunnies built up between the fan and the heatsink caverns, basically blocking the air flow across the heatsink. Core is down to 50C. Phew.

Thanks for all of the help!

What, did you use a vacuum cleaner the first time around? Stop wasting my time.
By the way, case fan filters are about $2 a piece at frozencpu.

Buck Armstrong
09-26-05, 06:06 PM
What, did you use a vacuum cleaner the first time around? Stop wasting my time.
By the way, case fan filters are about $2 a piece at frozencpu.

He must've done the same thing I did-just blast the card and sink with compressed air without taking it apart. It can appear that the sink is completely clean, and even clean between sink and GPU. But once you take it apart...

I doubt he was purposely trying to waste your time. He needed help, he posted, he got it.