PDA

View Full Version : Carmack wants to develope a doom3 game for the PS3???

H3avyM3tal
09-26-05, 07:51 PM
In an interview to GameInformer magazine, JC said he is interested to develope a kinda 'super cool things from Doom3' game for the PS3...

Wth? :confused:

Thats after he said the PS3 kinda sux.

|MaguS|
09-26-05, 07:53 PM
Game Informer is one of the most unreliable source for game information...

OWA
09-26-05, 08:00 PM
Here is the blurb on it.

http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/nid/1534/

John Carmack has said he would like to make a Doom 3 super edition for the PlayStation 3.

Speaking to US magazine GameInformer, Carmack said of an idea to bring Doom 3 to the PlayStation 3: "One idea we've been sort of tossing around that is just a random idea is possibly doing some kind of super edition of the Doom 3 stuff for the PS3."

Carmack didn't exactly give any details as to what a "Super Edition" of the game would entail, but we assume he means something more than bundling the game with a bonus DVD of behind the scenes footage. Despite these comments, Carmack told the magazine that he prefers developing on the Xbox 360, much like Tomonobu Itagaki, head of Team Ninja has said.

By James Orry
Posted 26.09.05, 11:49am
Source: GameInformer

H3avyM3tal
09-26-05, 08:02 PM
Lol, there is really no reason not to believe this. Doom 3 alpha super duper version? maybe, maybe not.

|MaguS|
09-26-05, 08:02 PM
Maybe he wants to make it for the PS3 do its raw power while the they prefer the x360 due to its ease to program.

Edge
09-26-05, 08:15 PM
Would actually make sense, since the PS1 got the "ultimate Doom pack" for the original Doom games (and Final Doom later on). They'd probably just port Doom 3 and RoE to the PS3 and then add a few extra graphic effects and gameplay elements here and there, sort of a last generation game bundled into a next generation package. He doesn't seem to hate the PS3 really, he says it's a lot better to work on than the PS2, just not as easy to work with as the Xbox 360.

But it's still just random thoughts he was throwing around, after mentioning his idea for a PS3 version of Doom 3 he went on to talk about extending the Doom RPG mechanics into an online multiplayer game.

slick
09-26-05, 09:12 PM
I for one have never been partial to the D3 engine. I think Quake 4 looks like butt and Doom 3 aswell. The artstyle just doesn't appeal to me at all. They can go ahead and do that if they want, but it seems like a waste to me. Why waste time and resources to recreate a 2 year old game? They would be better off with a new IP.

AthlonXP1800
09-26-05, 10:01 PM
Wow it seem Carmack had changed his heart about PS3. :)

Gabrobot
09-26-05, 10:07 PM
They would be better off with a new IP.

They are doing a new IP. From what he said, it would probably be done by another developer. And Doom 3 sold millions of copies on the PC and Xbox, so I'd say they figure it would be well received on another platform. ;)

oldsk00l
09-26-05, 10:18 PM
oh man
what is he schizophrenic?

Ninja Prime
09-26-05, 10:36 PM
Wow it seem Carmack had changed his heart about PS3. :)

Not really. He just wants to sell a million doom3 games.

Zelda_fan
09-27-05, 11:40 AM
oh for the love of....

Carmack can't even breath these days without people forming a riot over which console is better. I'm sure Carmack will continue to develop top notch engines for the PC as well as for the XBOX360 and the PS3.

Ninjaman09
09-27-05, 11:47 AM
I for one have never been partial to the D3 engine. I think Quake 4 looks like butt and Doom 3 aswell. The artstyle just doesn't appeal to me at all. They can go ahead and do that if they want, but it seems like a waste to me. Why waste time and resources to recreate a 2 year old game? They would be better off with a new IP.
The art style has nothing to do with the capabilities of the game engine. This is evident in the Quake Wars trailer.

Vagrant Zero
09-27-05, 09:40 PM
The art style has nothing to do with the capabilities of the game engine. This is evident in the Quake Wars trailer.

Leave him be. He was sodomized with a BFG when he was a child.

oldsk00l
09-28-05, 09:34 AM
:werd: to Ninjaman.

The Doom3 engine can be used with anything from creating a cartoon teletubbies game to a game produced by Manson himself.

Helter Skelter, THE GAME!