PDA

View Full Version : GTX7800 how to set AA for supersampling

namelessone
09-27-05, 09:50 AM
hi i'm new here l just got my rig with 4800+ and two GTX 7800 [best cards ] l would like to find out if you got to have AA on for supersampling if so how much thanks alot

Ninjaman09
09-27-05, 09:59 AM
Well, you can set "8xS" in the control panel as your AA setting, this is 4xMS and 2xSS. I believe nHancer (http://www.nhancer.com/) allows you a little more flexibility in this regard. However if you plan on using full-screen supersampling, be warned, even with two 7800 GTX's it will slow down many newer games, and even some older ones. Warcraft III is about the only game I can get good framerates (by which I mean 60+ fps) in with 8xS turned on.

bigjohns97
09-27-05, 10:02 AM
I run 2x2 SSAA on almost all of my es sports games and they look awesome.

But i have to use nhancer to select that mode but i perfer nhancer over nvidia control panel.

OWA
09-27-05, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I use 8xS for all the EA sports games as well even at 1600x1200 and with several slightly older games. The SLI AA also comes in handy for some of the older titles like Unreal II that don't really benefit from any of the performance modes.

Edit: Also, try using GAA and TAA: Super Sampling. It can do wonders for some games, especially the TAA: SS. I pretty much have those on for all games except for the ones where those options don't seem to have any effect.

namelessone
09-27-05, 07:44 PM
thanks for getting back to me , l just installed nhancer it works great , is there any more tips u can give me . loaded up unreal 2 but it's not playing too well it's like a bunny [hopping] l have all the new drivers and forceware 78.03 . l have upgaded from a ti4600 l can not get over how all my games look, the best buy in years.thanks for the help

OWA
09-27-05, 09:46 PM
Try using the runfirst utility with Unreal II or either start the game, get back to the desktop so you can access the task manager, find the process that's running for Unreal II, right click on it, choose the set affinity option and uncheck one of the CPUs. Some games don't like the X2. Also, if you haven't already, install the AMD CPU driver for the X2. That will fix some of those issues but at least for me, I still have to use the runfirst utility or set the affinity option in some games. The runfirst utility is just a convenient way of setting the affinity option but unfortunately, it doesn't work for all games.

http://www.activeplus.com/us/freeware/runfirst/

Edit: Yeah, I just checked and Unreal II is one of the ones that I have to use the runfirst command for. I just copied the utility to c:\windows and here is how I modified the shortcut to run it.

C:\WINDOWS\RunFirst.exe E:\Games\Unreal2\System\Unreal2.exe

namelessone
09-28-05, 01:07 AM
thanks owa it is working now you have been a great help,l used the task manager l down loaded the runfirst utility but when l install it l could not find it ,but the task manager works well .thanks

zoomy942
09-28-05, 09:46 AM
supersampling is great. you could also try a mix of gamma AA and multisampliing AA

BrianG
09-28-05, 09:54 AM
Try using the runfirst utility with Unreal II or either start the game, get back to the desktop so you can access the task manager, find the process that's running for Unreal II, right click on it, choose the set affinity option and uncheck one of the CPUs. Some games don't like the X2. Also, if you haven't already, install the AMD CPU driver for the X2. That will fix some of those issues but at least for me, I still have to use the runfirst utility or set the affinity option in some games. The runfirst utility is just a convenient way of setting the affinity option but unfortunately, it doesn't work for all games.

http://www.activeplus.com/us/freeware/runfirst/

Edit: Yeah, I just checked and Unreal II is one of the ones that I have to use the runfirst command for. I just copied the utility to c:\windows and here is how I modified the shortcut to run it.

C:\WINDOWS\RunFirst.exe E:\Games\Unreal2\System\Unreal2.exe
There is a another app to force one CPU called ROPE. I use it for UT2003.

Link to details at the AMD support forum here:
http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t56702.html

I just wish AMD would release an official utility to set affinity,kind of like a profile manager.

OWA
09-28-05, 12:11 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip. I'll give that a shot.