PDA

View Full Version : The future of cross-platform games

superklye
09-27-05, 09:21 AM
I got to thinking about this from reading through the Ninja Gaiden 2 thread, and I really don't think there are going to be many cross-platform games with this latest iteration of consoles. Based on what I've heard and read, programming for the PS3 is about a 1080 turn from programming for the Xbox. Since the Xbox is going to be a glorified PC, I think we'll definitely see a lot of those titles ported over to the PC or vice versa, but I highly doubt many Xbox titles are going to make it to PS3 and vice versa there.

Am I flawed in thinking that?

And please don't take this as a flame bait or choosing a console over another. I'll tell you right now: I think they're all stupid and a waste of money. I will continue to stick to PC.

|MaguS|
09-27-05, 09:24 AM
Well games that do not use a middleware or a predeveloped engine will be alot harder to port but any using Renderware or any predeveloped engine (like UE3) will be alot easier.

Basically unless the game is specifically made from the ground up, it will probably not make it over.

GamerGuyX
09-27-05, 09:24 AM
And please don't take this as a flame bait or choosing a console over another. I'll tell you right now: I think they're all stupid and a waste of money. I will continue to stick to PC.

So why is it that you wasted your time making this thread? I mean if you don't care about the next-gen consoles and think they are stupid why do you care what games each get?

Not to mention the fact that you did indeed pay money for a Gamecube from a guy selling it on this very forum... :p

Knot3D
09-27-05, 11:16 AM
Well, if certain next gen games stay bound to that console, even not go pc... then that would be a good incentive to get that console after all.

superklye
09-27-05, 11:19 AM
Not to mention the fact that you did indeed pay money for a Gamecube from a guy selling it on this very forum... :p
Really? Because I was part of the transaction and I seem to remember TRADING my Abit NF7-S and Athlon XP 2600+ for the GC and 5 games.

EDIT: And I didnít get it for me, really. I got it for the apartment, for something to do when people come over. There are some good ďpartyĒ games, and the LotR: TTA game is awesome, Iíll admit that. But otherwise, I canít seem to spend any time playing it. Iíll probably end up eBaying it soon since itís not really getting any use.

And why do I care? Because of games like BiA. If it's too hard to develop for multiple platforms, it's going to suck missing out on a lot of games that, on previous gen consoles, could've been ported much easier.

Ninjaman09
09-27-05, 12:26 PM
Really? Because I was part of the transaction and I seem to remember TRADING my Abit NF7-S and Athlon XP 2600+ for the GC and 5 games.

EDIT: And I didnít get it for me, really. I got it for the apartment, for something to do when people come over. There are some good ďpartyĒ games, and the LotR: TTA game is awesome, Iíll admit that. But otherwise, I canít seem to spend any time playing it. Iíll probably end up eBaying it soon since itís not really getting any use.

And why do I care? Because of games like BiA. If it's too hard to develop for multiple platforms, it's going to suck missing out on a lot of games that, on previous gen consoles, could've been ported much easier.
Psshh. Cross-platform titles are the bane of quality gaming. Aside from a few rare gems, cross-platform generally cripples a game's capabilities as it cannot take advantage of a platform's specific strengths, instead it must compromise to work right on each seperate one. Additionally the control scheme will be dull and generic, as well as akward in some situations (GC controller) and more time and money is spent on compatibility issues than is on story, gameplay, etc. Screw that. I'm holding out hope (probably in vain) that cross-platform development will be limited to EA's conveyor belt of crap.

Honestly though it seems to me that consoles are quickly becoming crippled PCs. I'm finding myself only playing OLD games on my consoles now (like SNES games) and playing the new ones on the inevitable PC versions, which feature superior graphics, sound, and control customization. Honestly, what's the point?

superklye
09-27-05, 12:56 PM
I was just speculating, that's all.

Ninjaman09
09-27-05, 01:06 PM
Yeah I know, I'm just throwing out my opinion on multiplatform games. Nothing personal. ;)

oldsk00l
09-27-05, 01:16 PM
As long as EA is around, we'll get the graphics of the lowest quality console....on all the mainstreams.......

|MaguS|
09-27-05, 01:21 PM
As long as EA is around, we'll get the graphics of the lowest quality console....on all the mainstreams.......

Need For Speed looks pretty dam good to me, so does Burnout and the Lord of the Rings games...

superklye
09-27-05, 01:23 PM
Yeah I know, I'm just throwing out my opinion on multiplatform games. Nothing personal. ;)
And while console to PC was one, I was more thinking about Xbox to PS3...since the underlying architectures are quite different and Xbox is WGF/DX based whereas PS3 is whatever...it'll make it pretty difficult, won't it?

|MaguS|
09-27-05, 01:27 PM
And while console to PC was one, I was more thinking about Xbox to PS3...since the underlying architectures are quite different and Xbox is WGF/DX based whereas PS3 is whatever...it'll make it pretty difficult, won't it?

It depends on the engine the game is running, If using a predeveloped engine (Unreal/Quake) and not a new engine coded for specific hardware originally (MGS Series) then no, it wont be too difficult.

Ninjaman09
09-27-05, 01:31 PM
That's what I was referring to as well. I was just making a general statement about the blurring of the line between PC and console gaming (which shouldn't be blurred in my opinion).
It depends on the engine the game is running, If using a predeveloped engine (Unreal/Quake) and not a new engine coded for specific hardware originally (MGS Series) then no, it wont be too difficult.
Have the new consoles been designed with portability and licensed game engines in mind? I haven't really paid enough attention to that.

|MaguS|
09-27-05, 01:39 PM
Have the new consoles been designed with portability and licensed game engines in mind? I haven't really paid enough attention to that.

Well since they are both built around a standard API now (x360 D3D, PS3 OpenGL), it wont be hard to port engines back and forth as long as they support the API.

Ninjaman09
09-27-05, 01:45 PM
Well since they are both built around a standard API now (x360 D3D, PS3 OpenGL), it wont be hard to port engines back and forth as long as they support the API.
Oh ok neat, well that's pretty cool...maybe I'm being a little overzealous in criticizing them. :D

Mr_LoL
09-27-05, 06:39 PM
Psshh. Cross-platform titles are the bane of quality gaming. Aside from a few rare gems, cross-platform generally cripples a game's capabilities as it cannot take advantage of a platform's specific strengths, instead it must compromise to work right on each seperate one. Additionally the control scheme will be dull and generic, as well as akward in some situations (GC controller) and more time and money is spent on compatibility issues than is on story, gameplay, etc. Screw that. I'm holding out hope (probably in vain) that cross-platform development will be limited to EA's conveyor belt of crap.

Honestly though it seems to me that consoles are quickly becoming crippled PCs. I'm finding myself only playing OLD games on my consoles now (like SNES games) and playing the new ones on the inevitable PC versions, which feature superior graphics, sound, and control customization. Honestly, what's the point?

Agreed. Look at san andreas on the pc. It may look sharper graphically but we still have a cj that runs around with mighty meat hands.

slick
09-27-05, 07:17 PM
Need For Speed looks pretty dam good to me, so does Burnout and the Lord of the Rings games...

Burnout is the only true quality game out of those titles mentioned, and imagine that, it wasn't developed by EA.

Need For Speed was developed by Black Box Games, and EA bought that out and used the idea for NFSU2 and now NFSMW, so they didn't really make that either.

The only Lord of the Rings games that EA made were Battle for Middle Earth and The Third Age, the rest were by other developers.

EA publishes quality titles every now and then, but they RARELY ever develop a true quality game. Not to mention their business ethics are the worst in the business.

slick
09-27-05, 07:21 PM
On a side note, yes you will probably see a LOT less multi-platforming this generation because not only will games have longer development time, the two systems are just about as far apart hardware wise as you can get. Like mentioned before I think this is a good thing. Now (most) developers will keep their games on a single system and will be able to specifically develop for that single console and try to get the most out of it. Hopefully we will see a lot less EA'd games this generation.