PDA

View Full Version : Any tips after adding more ram

DJMONDY
09-27-05, 10:04 AM
I havnt added anything to my system for ages so i bought a 512 stick of ram the other day. Its nothing special or pricey just basic stuff: 512mb ddr 400mhz 3200.

Anyway im planning on getting another 512 stick at the end of the month to take my system ram upto 2gig and im woundering if there are any tips you can give me to boost system performance as i was surprised i didnt notice much gain in games compared to doing system tasks.

Anything i can do in the bios? or set a paging file to a certain number?? :confused:

I would really like some help on this as im not good with stuff like bioses and settings in windows incase i mess things up.

Many thanks to anyone who can help :) :)

My System:

P4 3.2
BFG 6800 U oc
1.5gb ram (adding another soon)

If you need to know anything else about my system plaese let me know.

|MaguS|
09-27-05, 10:12 AM
Saddly adding ram doesn't give much of a performance boost for most games except for the rare few that have a large amount of textures (BF2, FEAR). It will help with video and audio encoding but for gaming its pretty pointless to go 2GB unless you play BF2 and FEAR.

As for your current state, 1.5GB doesn't provide almost no boost, its either 1GB or 2GB to actually see a worthy performance boost.

Try to lower the amount of background programs and tweak your PC as best as you can. Get TuneXP and visit http://tweakxp.com/

DJMONDY
09-27-05, 10:16 AM
Cheers |MaguS|, I'll give it a go :thumbsup:

The only problem ive got with the backround programs is im not to sure which ones to turn off. I know certain ones but after im done ive still got 30 running in the backround.

CaptNKILL
09-27-05, 10:31 AM
I think 1.5Gb is probably plenty of ram... I have 2gigs and when I play Battlefield 2 I usually have about 750Mb free. You dont really NEED any more than probably 1.3gigs right now, so 1.5 is fine. I just went for 2gigs to keep it even ;)

DJMONDY
09-27-05, 12:28 PM
I just went for 2gigs to keep it even ;)

:D me too :D

|MaguS|
09-27-05, 01:09 PM
Cheers |MaguS|, I'll give it a go :thumbsup:

The only problem ive got with the backround programs is im not to sure which ones to turn off. I know certain ones but after im done ive still got 30 running in the backround.

To find out which background services are good and bad to turn off just open up the task manager and use google to search for the file. I always get more then a handful of pages describing the service/program.