PDA

View Full Version : Do Any nForce2 Boards Unlock the CPU Multiplier?

navek
12-29-02, 05:30 PM
My Asus A7N8X Deluxe doesn't unlock the multiplier, and I am wondering whether recent BIOS releases have made it possible with other nForce2 boards. Has anyone heard anything further regarding BIOS releases that will unlock 2600+, 2700+, and 2800+ XPs? I would definitely be interested in some 400 MHz DDR RAM if I could manage to change my multiplier so that my CPU isn't being stressed.

anxdiety
12-29-02, 07:03 PM
The joy of it all is that the boards reviewers have recieved seem to get the bios that does the unlocking but as of yet the regular store versions don't. I couldn't tell you off hand if it does unlock since my ancient t-bird 1.333 is factory unlocked. I think i saw a bunch of threads over at www.nforcershq.com about the issue

pelly
12-29-02, 09:49 PM
I'm not 100% sure which other nForce2 board unlock the CPU, but I know that the Chaintech 7NJS nForce2 board does...and the BIOS that does is is readily available to everyone...

:D

saturnotaku
12-29-02, 10:09 PM
The EpoX nForce2 does it. If you do a little searching, you should be able to find the proper BIOS (which was in beta last time I checked).

anxdiety
12-30-02, 01:00 AM
I wonder why none of the reviewers that have the bios with the A7N8X boards haven't released the bios' that allow the multiplyer to be changed? Is it some nda crap all over again or is AMD on their butts over at Asus

Daelemans_G
12-30-02, 08:16 AM
I'm in the exact same boat here... waiting to see if ASUS releases a BIOS that will allow unlocking - cause I know that I read several reviews which claimed it was possible.

btw - Asus did release 1001E and 1001G bios updates for the A7N8X, but the release notes say nothing about multiplier unlocking, so I haven't updated yet.... - but then again, maybe they don't want to "advertise" that too loudly?

RM. Andersson
12-30-02, 10:15 AM
Some people claim that it works with the C BIOS and that it stopped working when they upgraded to E or G.
Perhaps there are different versions of the 1001.C.
I have never heard of anyone being able to unlock with E or G at least.

I have not tried it myself. No point until I buy memory that can do 200MHz IMO. I want to run it at sync 200/200.

Regards!

navek
12-30-02, 07:57 PM
The 1001C BIOS didn't unlock the multiplier. That is the BIOS that came with my mainboard. I upgraded to the 1001E, and then I upgraded to the 1001G. None of them unlocked the CPU multiplier. I just wanted to make sure that everyone knew.