PDA

View Full Version : 7800GTX & Poor performance

Caimbeul
09-27-05, 01:32 PM
Hi,

I have recently set up the rig detailed in my sig along with XP Pro with SP2. For some reason its performance in relation to my old system (XP2800+ Barton, 9800Pro, Asus Nforce2, 1Gb Ram etc) is not very good at all.

Example: Deus Ex1. The maximum resolution I can go up to seems to be a res just over 1024x768 (118something i think). Now this is an ancient game but when running fraps during the opening scene it can drop to around 35fps. My Radeon never went below 100approx.

Deus Ex2: All details on Max at 1024 and up with 1,2,3 or 4x AA is 35ish +.

Sid Meiers Pirates = 35 @ 1280x1024 all the way up to 1600x1200 with all details and no AA.

Yet the likes of FarCry and HL2 perform reasonably well (not to the levels I have come to expect from reading review benchmarks - and they were using a lesser sysytem too!! :confused:

I am using 78.01 and 6.66 Nvidia Drivers.

If anyone can help me get the performance up to what I think it should be I would be eternally gratefull!

Thanks!

OWA
09-27-05, 02:12 PM
First, for Deus Ex I have to use the RunFirst command or it doesn't run properly for me with the X2 CPU. You can also just pop-up the task manager once it's running and right click on the Deus Ex task and set the affinity option so that it runs on just one CPU. That would be the first thing I'd try.

As far as the resolution for Deus Ex, I have the same issue. I get a few choices above 1024x768. So, I just edited the DeusEx.ini file that is here on my system:

E:\Games\DeusEx\System\DeusEx.ini

Then I just change the below settings to use 1600x1200 and I also change the color to 32. It seems to keep getting reset to 16 if I try to set that in-game.

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
FullscreenViewportX=1600
FullscreenViewportY=1200
FullscreenColorBits=32

Basically, running on a single-gpu at 1600x1200 4xAA/8xAF I'm getting anywhere from 75fps to 300+ fps in the opening scene. It seems to hover in the 200s most of the time. Once the game starts and I'm on the pier, it'll be anywhere from 70'ish to 150+ or so depending on the direction I'm looking.

This was using the Direct3D mode. It actually seems to run a little better in OpenGL but I figured you were using the Direct3D mode so those are the results I'm reporting.

I don't have the other two games so I can't make any suggestions there.

Edit: Using the 78.05s and 6.66s.

Edit 2: Nevermind, OpenGL wasn't that much faster. Maybe that was with my 6800U. Anyway, once the game starts and you're on the pier, the framerates in OpenGL and D3D were close.

Caimbeul
09-28-05, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the in depth reply. It is greatly appreciated. I edited the .ini for Deus Ex and this has sorted the issue of resolution limitation. The game also runs a bit faster now (for some bizarre reason) but I have yet to try this affinity thing. Is this something that can help performance with all apps/games when using a dual core CPU? or something you reccomend that is specific to Deus Ex 1?

If anyone can shed any light on the matter with the other games as an example it would be appreciated. :o

OWA
09-28-05, 05:16 PM
Most games are fine with the X2 CPUs but there are a few that don't run correctly with them. The symptoms can vary but the ones I usually get are that it'll run extremely slow, or it'll run extremely fast or it'll cycle between running normal and running super-fast. It's pretty weird to see.

When I installed the AMD X2 CPU driver, it fixed those issues with some of the games but there are still a few where I have to use the affinity option (or I'll use a utility like runfirst that sets the affinity option for me).

So, whenever something doesn't go right with a game, the first thing I try is the affinity option.

Edit: I can't believe I left it out of my initial message so I've been saying it so much, but make sure you install the AMD X2 CPU driver also.

Edit 2: Links to a couple of utilities that handle the affinity option for you, are in this thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57243

Bear in mind, sometimes the utilities don't work and you have to use the task manager to change the affinity option. Not sure why that is.

Caimbeul
09-29-05, 11:59 AM
Thanks again for the help... As XP jsut got on with it as far as the CPU goes when i installed I didnt really think about the Driver for it I will D/L the V1.2.2.2 driver for it (the latest according to AMD site.

Ps: Thats One Insane rig you have there! :bugeyes:

OWA
09-29-05, 12:27 PM
Thanks, yours ain't so bad either. :)

Anyway, hope you get the issues sorted out.

mx125race
09-29-05, 11:58 PM
if i could only have a computer of that...potential... :)

Greg
09-30-05, 05:51 AM
...Sid Meiers Pirates = 35 @ 1280x1024 all the way up to 1600x1200 with all details and no AA....
This game never goes over ~30fps in certain places, no matter what hardware. It is believed to be a hard coded limit. There has been some talk of this in other forums http://www.addictedtopirates.com/forum/index.php