PDA

View Full Version : Asus A7N8X system configuration help

plumbertom
12-29-02, 06:41 PM
Hey all,

I recieved my computer back from the shop Friday (I'm pretty new at messing with computers but willing to learn).

A7N8X Deluxe
2800 XP
WD 40 gig 133 H/D
512 Corsair XMS 2700 DDR
Asus 52 CD rom
Gainward TI 4600 Ultra 750 Goldensample Vid/Card
sony floppy drive
Logitech Z560 speakers
Xp Home editon
400 watt power supply
directx 9

This system is just for gamming and nothing else.

I went ahead and ran 3dmark 2001 SE and to my suprise got a pretty lame 5900 @ 1024 by 768 at 32 bit. I went and checked the Asus bios and they were the most recent release 1017 beta 00. Checked the vid bios and ahhh. They were ancient and the the memory and core clock were set low. Updaded and ran again went to 10273 still low. So I went and turned down Anist. Filter and all the other graphics stuff tried some other drivers. the best I got was 13444 with 40.72 det. drivers. I think the system settings in bios might be set low or wrong for what I have. What should I look at and change. I don't know enough to do the serious overclocking but would like to set things up to where they run good together with out frying everything. :)

Thanks for any info!

anxdiety
12-29-02, 08:01 PM
Well if you are going for a 3dmark score, double check what your fsb is running at. And what the timings of the memory are. Then you would want to make sureyou have aa and aniso turned off, not down but off. I'm running an older bios on the same motherboard the 1001c i think it is. also running the drivers that winblows update gave me on the board itself. with the 166 fsb i am able to get 9700 onions myself without overclocking my vid card. a simple little overclock on my vid cards give me almost 11000 onions. Not too bad for an aging processor

plumbertom
12-30-02, 06:07 PM
Here is what my sytems setup at.....

cpu external freq. - 166 MHz
cpu freq. multi. setting - auto
memory freq. - sync
memory timing - optimal
SDRAM active precharge delay - 7
SDRAM RAS to CAS delay - 3
SDRAM RAS precharge delay - 3
SDRAM CAS latency - 2T
FSB spread spectrum - disabled
AGP spread spectrum - disabled
cpu VCORE - auto
cpu VCORE - 1.650v
graphics aperture size - 256 mb
AGP freq. - auto
system bios cacheble - disabled
video Ram cacheable - disabled
DDR ref. voltage - 2.6v
AGP VDDQ voltage - 1.5v
AGP 8X - enabled
ACPI suspend to Ram - disabled

Any changes needed?

Thanks.

gokickrocks
12-30-02, 06:25 PM
that depends, how steady are your hands?

if you are willing to take the risk,...on the L12 (on the cpu), there are 4 bridges (not connected, connected, connected, connected)...what you want to do is cut the 3rd bridge (not too deep though, about the same depth as the 1st bridge) so it will be: not connected, connected, not connected, connected. this will make your cpu think it runs at 133 instead of 166, and will allow you to overclock above the 200fsb speeds with more stability...

you could also try upping the vcore and vdimm a little to overclock more

scott123
12-31-02, 01:21 AM
If you haven't already done so, you need to install those motherboard chipset drivers Dude :)
system bios cacheble - disabled
video Ram cacheable - disabled
Enable both of these.

Set the ram timings to 2/2/2/5

plumbertom
12-31-02, 04:42 PM
Well rocks, I'm not quite ready to take that step yet. I'll wait alittle bit before I unlock the cpu.

hey scott, I take it when you say 2/2/2/5 you mean...

SDRAM active precharge delay 5
SDRAM RAS to CAS delay 2
SDRAM RAS precharge delay 2
SDRAM CAS latency 2t

correct?

I enacted the systems bio cacheable and the video ram cacheable and changed the memory timings like I have them listed above.

I went from 13444 to 14047 in 3dmark. are these settings cool to stay with or should I change more up or down? I want it to run at its optimum without damaging anything.

Thanks for all the imputs so far :)

Cotita
01-01-03, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by gokickrocks
that depends, how steady are your hands?

if you are willing to take the risk,...on the L12 (on the cpu), there are 4 bridges (not connected, connected, connected, connected)...what you want to do is cut the 3rd bridge (not too deep though, about the same depth as the 1st bridge) so it will be: not connected, connected, not connected, connected. this will make your cpu think it runs at 133 instead of 166, and will allow you to overclock above the 200fsb speeds with more stability...

you could also try upping the vcore and vdimm a little to overclock more

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

If you can set the multiplier and the FSB independently, why on earth would you want to change the fsb on chip when you can do it in the bios or by a simple jumper setting???

I've seen several "mods" claiming that L12 mod helps overclocking. I've yet to see one that actually works rather than just "claiming it works".

Don't mess with the L12 brige, it's not worth it.

The Asus board is capable of reaching a 200mhz bus just by lowering the multiplier and increasing the FSB, no L12 bridge mod is necessary.

Aparently Asus will release a beta bios that can unlock the cpu via BIOS,

scott123
01-01-03, 10:59 AM

SDRAM RAS to CAS delay 2
SDRAM CAS latency 2t

correct?

I enacted the systems bio cacheable and the video ram cacheable and changed the memory timings like I have them listed above.

I went from 13444 to 14047 in 3dmark. are these settings cool to stay with or should I change more up or down? I want it to run at its optimum without damaging anything.
Yes, on the ram timing questions. I'd leave the settings there (not damaging at all). You can attempt to lower the active precharge to 4 or even 3, but in my experance there is no real performance gain. I do 13,130 in 3dmark (CPU-@2000 and VGA not overclocked), so I think you should be doing a little better since your at a full 166MHz front side buss, but I don't know what it might be thats holding you back (still a very nice score though :) ). Make sure that everything is set to agressive/turbo or whatever (there are a few of those settings in there)

EDIT: Manually set the AGP frequency to 66MHz, that way if you overclock the AGP buss will be locked (PCI buss is already locked on this motherboard)

BTW: Im a N2002 junky myself (already pre-ordered N2003 FE). I have a TSW2 Modified wheel, and Ive been on that Christian Racing server before, and won a big race at Michigan one time (came from my 34th qual. spot all the way to 1st!!). I also play F1 2002 and love the GT 2002 Mod (for F1 2002)

scott123
01-01-03, 11:20 AM
Plumbertom

Here is my setup :)

Cotita
01-01-03, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by plumbertom
Well rocks, I'm not quite ready to take that step yet. I'll wait alittle bit before I unlock the cpu.

SDRAM RAS to CAS delay 2
SDRAM CAS latency 2t

correct?

Thanks for all the imputs so far :)

Enabling Bios and Video Ram cacheable has littlo to no effect in performance, either for better or for worse. In some VIA motherboards enabling either, lowers performance albeit just by a small margin.

If you start having stability problems when overclocking, start by increasing the SDRAM active precharge delay to 6 or more. This setting has the least performance impact but most stability impact. So its a good place to start.

Take a look at Lost circuit bios guide (http://www.lostcircuits.com/advice/bios2/1.shtml) for more bios tweaks.

plumbertom
01-01-03, 11:42 AM
Nice Wheel scott! I have a Logitech Momo Force Feedback wheel right now. I am thinking about getting a Thompson in the future:) I hope they come out with a FF version but it doesn't look like it going to be for a while though! :( If you want to run in a league were are having some Qualifying races comming up for the monday night and friday night leagues. We also have some open night races too. Sure beats the Papy crashville races! :) Some real good Fast compitition to!

Thanks again for all the input.
Hope to see ya on the track!

plumbertom
01-01-03, 12:00 PM
Thanks Cotita, great link!

scott123
01-01-03, 06:44 PM
Enabling Bios and Video Ram cacheable has littlo to no effect in performance
That is not true. Keep them enabled. Every motherboard I have had in the last 5 years scores better in benchmarks when they are enabled. Most hardware sites support enabling these setting for better performance.
Scott

Cotita
01-02-03, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by scott123

That is not true. Keep them enabled. Every motherboard I have had in the last 5 years scores better in benchmarks when they are enabled. Most hardware sites support enabling these setting for better performance.
Scott

Well according to Adrian Rojaks and Lost Circuits guides, not to mention myself, caching bios or video has no effect on performance whatsoever. In the old 486 day it did increase performance, but not anymore.

scott123
01-02-03, 07:46 AM
Just tested it again on my A7N8X and Ti4600. 250 points in 3dmark, every time.... sorry :)