PDA

View Full Version : Printer Networking Problem

extreme4377
09-27-05, 07:09 PM
With our wireless network, the printer is hooked up to my Mom's computer which has wireless connection. My computer which is hardwired to the router shares the printer and prints on her printer. We both had to format(viruses) and now the printer will not be seen on my computer. I go to add a network printer and it just cant be found. Nothing has changed except for that fact that we have both formatted and have fresh installations of WinXP Pro SP2. No networking options within the router have been changed, no wired/wireless configs have been changed, nothing. I have run the Network config utility multiple times on both computers.

Heres the thing, her computer is able to view shared folders but not vice versa. My computer canNOT see files or the printer for that matter that are on her computer.

What can I do? thanks so much!

fitter
09-27-05, 11:01 PM
you probably have to set the printer to share on her comp, and both will have to reset the share properties, so you both can share files.

extreme4377
09-27-05, 11:04 PM
Thats been done. Ive tried it both ways. Sharing before running the wizard and sharing after running it. Thanks..

einstein_314
09-27-05, 11:15 PM
Hmm, are you both in the same workgroup on the network? Other than that, I can't think of anything. I'm sharing my printer with my room mate who is wireless from my router. All I did was share my printer and it showed up in his printers.

retsam
09-27-05, 11:25 PM
did you add it as a network printer? also what did you use for the address ?

extreme4377
09-27-05, 11:56 PM
We are in the same network/workgroup. I tried to add the printer as a network printer but nothing shows up so I manually tried to add it(how I used to do it) by entering \\mom\print (server and printer name) and it doesnt find it.

As for the address, what do you mean?

retsam
09-28-05, 07:19 AM
dont use the netbios name use the ip address in place of the name .... see if that works for ya

extreme4377
09-28-05, 01:41 PM
dont use the netbios name use the ip address in place of the name .... see if that works for ya

Confused. This printer isnt accessible from online. Its just a network printer. Its connected to My moms computer. My moms computer is connected wireless-ly to the router/network. My computer is hardwired to the router/network.

retsam
09-28-05, 03:52 PM
this has nothing to do with the internet .... what you need to try is, when you set it up as a network printer use the ip address so it should look something like this ... \\192.168.1.1\printer
the first part should be the ip address of the machine its attached to ... and the second part should be the share name ....

give it a try .....

extreme4377
09-28-05, 06:06 PM
Gave it a try. no worky...

ugh. Im really getting frustrated