PDA

View Full Version : XP wont recognize FSB change when changed in BIOS HELP!

bugmage
09-28-05, 12:22 AM
I was overclocking and one thing led to another an now when i change the fsb from say 200 on my amd 3400 to 215 or anything else, windows recognizes it as the stock speed of 193 (should be 200), did i blow something?

steps ive tried
1. cleared cmos
2. tryed optimal settings
3. turned off c and c, in windows then on the bios
4. uninstalled all amd drivers/the cpu itself in the hardware thing
5. reinstalled amds c and c drivers
6. reinstalled nforce drivers
( I still thinks windows fked up)
I can set the speed using utlities from my nforce 4 motherboard, but as far as booting to a set speed, the bios is useless right now?

Any ideas?

and also at load my 3400 hits 60* with zalman and artic silver 5

SHouldent at least be able to get a 15 hz overclock on this things, arg!

my motherboards a micro so i cant adjust HT or voltages

HELP! :confused: :confused: :confused: there must be some gay power management setting somewhere screwen me over

bugmage
09-28-05, 12:30 AM
and if your wondering the auto off temps at 70* and thermal throttaling is at 50% but ive tryed disables, and powermangagement is on minimal in windows

rewt
09-28-05, 12:32 AM
Try CPU-Z and check the FSB
http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php

bugmage
09-28-05, 12:38 AM
yeah cpuz looks fine, i uped the fsb with the motherboards manufactures util and it showed it in cpuz so its something in windows thats either not trying to detect or just defaulting to that speed

rewt
09-28-05, 12:44 AM
Windows doesn't seem to detect clock speeds dynamically. I think it only checks once at boot up and thats it. Hence the reason it never gets detected properly when you use manufacturer's utilities to overclock within Windows.

bugmage
09-28-05, 12:47 AM
thats just it its set on 204 in the bios right now and it loads 193 when i boot, i can change the fsb from windows but its going to kill my oc if i have to do it all from windows

It was working fine earlyer today, i dont know what happened or when, i think it might of happened when i changed my ram from 200 to 133, got some windows ram errors so i changed it back to 200 booted up fine

and also all startup items are msconfigged off

i tryed setting to stock but it still reads it under stock when before it read it over stock when at stock ;) anyway im going to bed if no one can give me any ideas by the time i wake up ill flash the bios and see where that gets me

bugmage
09-28-05, 10:09 AM
is there any power features in the bios that could be causing this? I cant find a floppy for the flash so ill have to wait on that

Starscream
09-28-05, 10:33 AM
So you're raising the fsb in the bios, and CPU-Z is confirming that it's higher when you run that program IN windows?

Sounds to me like the overclock is working just fine if that's the case.

Maybe you could post a screenshot or two to better illustrate what you are talking about.

bugmage
09-28-05, 11:10 AM
ok i can raise the fsb in bios to like 210, windows says the fsb is 193 at boot, and so does cpuz, when im in windows i can use the motherboards software to change clock speed and that change is recognized by cpuz and not by windows. So windows is not detecting the bios fsb at all, if i change my memory timeings they are detected correctly

bugmage
09-28-05, 09:17 PM
changed the shell to geoshell,problem fixed (or avoided)

$n][pErMan
09-29-05, 05:11 PM
thats just it its set on 204 in the bios right now and it loads 193 when i boot, i can change the fsb from windows but its going to kill my oc if i have to do it all from windows

It was working fine earlyer today, i dont know what happened or when, i think it might of happened when i changed my ram from 200 to 133, got some windows ram errors so i changed it back to 200 booted up fine

and also all startup items are msconfigged off

i tryed setting to stock but it still reads it under stock when before it read it over stock when at stock ;) anyway im going to bed if no one can give me any ideas by the time i wake up ill flash the bios and see where that gets me
Why would you lower your ram to 133? :confused:

bugmage
09-29-05, 05:55 PM
i lowered the ram to see if it would let me hit a higher clock speed