PDA

View Full Version : Creative X-Fi

Pages : [1] 2

CaptNKILL
09-28-05, 10:44 AM
I've been thinking about getting a new soundcard, and as much as I totaly DESPISE Creative's drivers, I think an X-Fi is probably the best choice right now. The thing is, I dont need or want any of that extra crap with the remote and the external box... I have Logitech Z-5500s so I already have a remote.

Does anyone know if its possible to get an "OEM" or "Value" edition yet? If not, any ideas when they might be available? $125 for a Soundcard (with or without the external box and remote) seems a bit much to me... hopefully when they do release a bare-bones model itl be well under $100.

jolle
09-28-05, 10:47 AM
The XtremeMusic is "just the card" but its also just 16mb instead of 64mb PC166 SDRAM (which Fatality FPS and Elite Pro is).
Platinum is the same XtremeMusic but with the Frontpanel and a remote..

Im currently looking at the XtremeMusic card, the cheapest one without alot of crazy crap..
Dont think there is any real "OEM" or "Bulk" versions out yet.

CaptNKILL
09-28-05, 10:58 AM
The XtremeMusic is "just the card" but its also just 16mb instead of 64mb PC166 SDRAM (which Fatality FPS and Elite Pro is).

Im currently looking at the XtremeMusic card, the cheapest one without alot of crazy crap..
BAhhh... god damned newegg. They have to f***ing fix this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102188

The pics show it has the external box... freaking liars :rolleyes:

jolle
09-28-05, 11:04 AM
What really sucks is that there isnt a 64mb version without all the extras.
I mean looking at the pricedifference between XtremeMusic and Fatal1ty FPS is pretty steep if your only going for that extra 48mb of PC166 SDRAM on the board.. (while you´re also paying for the front panel and remote, but I dont what that stuff)

OWA
09-28-05, 11:14 AM
I wanted the Fatal1ty version but for now, settled for the Xtreme Music version since it was available locally. I love it so far, the drivers have been stable, and like others have already mentioned, it doesn't have the I/O drive, remote, etc. It's the lowest model they're selling at the moment.

Edit: Oh, the one thing that has caught me a couple of times already is that they have different modes of operation. The is a music creation mode, entertainment mode and gaming mode. I'm mainly using it with headphones and the 3D sound (sound positioning) is very good in games. With music, having that enabled is hit or miss with it mostly missing the mark so I turn it off. A couple of times already, I was listening to music and then started gaming shortly after only to forget to change the mode. Then I wonder why the card doesn't seem to be working properly and eventually realize I forgot to set it to gaming mode. I think once I get use to that, I won't forget.

CaptNKILL
09-28-05, 11:18 AM
I just emailed newegg.com about the HUGE error on their site. Hopefully they get rid of those external I\O box and remote pics.

I dont care too much about the onboard memory myself... I really doubt itl do much performance wise. I just didnt realize that the cheapest model doesnt come with the I\O box. I still think the price is outragious though, especially now since I know its just the bare card and a driver CD.

OWA
09-28-05, 11:23 AM
Check this thread for more results and comments on the the cards.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57085

Vik1dk
09-28-05, 05:52 PM

Xtreme Music only has 2 mb ;)

from creative support forum:
It is 2MB of memory used for basic sound card functionality. This is very different than the 64MB of XRam on the Fatal1ty Board which can be leveraged for increased gaming performance.

Jeremy

OWA
09-28-05, 08:13 PM
Is that a response from Creative? I couldn't find anything that said my Xtreme Music had any XRAM.

superklye
09-28-05, 08:45 PM
I just read somewhere yesterday, too, that the XtremeMusic and Platinum both have 2MB memory and the Fatal1ty and Elite Pro have 64MB. I think it was in Maximum PC or CPU Magazine.

jolle
09-29-05, 04:57 AM
It looks like 16mb PC166 SDRAM from Samsung to me. (K4S161622H-TC60)
But maybe Im wrong?

This mem.
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/DRAM/SDRAM/SDRAMcomponent/16Mbit/K4S161622H/K4S161622H.htm
shot of the card from GamePCs review, mem is right above the X-Fi chip:
http://www.gamepc.com/images/labs/rev-xfi-cardLG.jpg
I just read the name and googled it, came up with Samsungs site.

PaiN
09-29-05, 05:53 AM
I also read in MaximumPC that the X-Fi XtremeMusic card only has 2mb not 16mb :( ....that memory spec was listed several times in the review

PaiN
09-29-05, 05:56 AM
It looks like 16mb PC166 SDRAM from Samsung to me. (K4S161622H-TC60)
But maybe Im wrong?

This mem.
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/DRAM/SDRAM/SDRAMcomponent/16Mbit/K4S161622H/K4S161622H.htm
shot of the card from GamePCs review, mem is right above the X-Fi chip:
http://www.gamepc.com/images/labs/rev-xfi-cardLG.jpg
I just read the name and googled it, came up with Samsungs site.

hmm....can someone with an X-Fi XtremeMusic please verify what memory its using.

jolle
09-29-05, 05:57 AM
hmm.. maybe they its 16Mbit and not 16mb then.. that would be 2mb.
In either case, Dont think it would make any difference, when your up to 128 vioces where the X-RAM should pull its wieght, 16mb would prolly not have cut it anyway..

I just got back from the store with my XtremeMusic card.
Setup.exe crashes when I click "next" tho.. bummer hehe..

_Thanatos_
09-29-05, 06:10 AM
Does anyone have real information ?!?!?!

Vik1dk
09-29-05, 07:20 AM
Is that a response from Creative? I couldn't find anything that said my Xtreme Music had any XRAM.
Yes link (http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=31404) wasnt sure so i asked :rolleyes:
hmm....can someone with an X-Fi XtremeMusic please verify what memory its using.
Samsung

superklye
09-29-05, 07:25 AM
Does anyone have real information ?!?!?!
The real information linked and given from Maximum PC wasn't good enough for you?

PaiN
09-29-05, 07:56 AM
MaximumPC also said in the same article that they weren't sure what difference the extra RAM would make on the Fatal1ty .....but 2mb vs. 64mb is a huge difference :rolleyes:
imo...I wouldn't buy a card with 2mb if there's a 64mb version of the same thing....on the other hand, hell if I'm paying almost $300 for a incrimental sound card upgrade and a bunch of crap I don't need...
com'n Creative......get a "value" version of the Fatal1ty out :p

superklye
09-30-05, 01:57 AM
I'm drunk and jealous enough that, if I had a credit card, I woudl totally buy an Elite Pro right now.

Damn you, jAk!

TheManko
09-30-05, 02:45 AM
If I remember correctly the 64 megs of ram won't be used until OpenAL 2.0 is released which is like a year away. So personally I'll be buying the Xtreme music version and then later buy one with 64 meg ram when prices drop. I have two computers so neither card will be a waste.

superklye
09-30-05, 10:11 AM
No hardware purchase/upgrade is EVER a waste. :)

MaxGhz
09-30-05, 11:04 AM
There is a slight fps improvement in BF2 with the 64bit cards and will be in games optimized for the X-Fi. All I know is the virtual speakers (9) in the headphone mode is worth the price of admission. Games never sounded or positioned you as well. DVD's sound like an expensive home theater set-up. Far Cry and Doom III really show off its gaming sounds on non-optimized games.

jolle
09-30-05, 11:10 AM
I think Im going to swap my Zalman 5.1 headphones for a good quality stereo Headset now..
"headphone" mode with CMSS3d sound better then Zalman headphones running 5.1, atleast it seems like it..
Either way, its close enough, so I could go for better quality sound without loosing positioning.
Any suggestions that wont ruin me?

Seems that with UltraQuality in BF2 I get these.. choppy segments at times..
I guess it could be the lack of X-RAM (man I hate marketing names.. but it sounds better then PC166 SDRAM I guess).
Anyone else noticed that? X-Fi High quality doesnt seem to have that problem..

superklye
09-30-05, 11:12 AM
Yeah, I agree the "X-RAM" name is pretty damned lame. Companies need to move past "X" and it's 1337n355

Strahd
09-30-05, 11:47 AM
Is there a good quality 5.1 headset that has a built in MIC?