PDA

View Full Version : Windows MCE vs XP & 7800 Usage

Peoples-Agent
09-28-05, 05:39 PM
Hi folks,

Just an enquiry at the moment, with regards to Windows MCE.

Is it anygood for gaming, do all current regular XP drivers work with it?

Would it work well with a 7800? ....good support for nForce 4 SLi etc etc

Bottom line, would it be worth getting to be used instead of XP?

I've just been offered an unopened OEM copy for a very reasonable price.

Cheers,

- D -

ricercar
09-28-05, 07:45 PM
I found that installing Windows XP 78.xx drivers did strange things to my Windows XP MCE setup with SLI 6800 Ultras, so I reverted to the MCE 72.14 drivers and all is well again.

Mostly the strange behavior was related to the green SLI load balancing grid and MCE functionality. The Media Center application displayed green where menubars were supposed to display, and the TV overlay would be only top-half- populated.

Unless you have a TV tuner card or a dedicated media server PC, the only advantage for Windows XP MCE that I found is that my copy of MCE installs XP SP 2 so I can install it on a 200GB drive without two partitions, 137GB + remainder.

Peoples-Agent
09-28-05, 11:53 PM
Ahhh right, my copy of XP has SP2 built into it already.
So not looking like there is much point in me doing it, thanks for the heads up.

TierMann
09-29-05, 12:52 AM
I didn't notice any big differences in games or any problems like ricercar had between xp pro and MCE, but I also don't have SLI or even PCI-E. The only thing was that MCE was more picky about which versions of codecs it liked.

ricercar
09-29-05, 01:58 AM
Just from curiosity, what is the price on the OEM you were offered, and was it a private sale or from a company? I don't think I've seen MCE retail for less than $120 USD.

Peoples-Agent
09-29-05, 02:27 AM
It was a private sale for 40, unopened and unused, for whatever reason they didnt want it as they prefer Win 2k ....suppose thats about $70.

j0j081
09-29-05, 04:39 AM
I was thinking about trying to get MCE but I don't know how.

particleman
09-29-05, 05:13 AM
A lot of stores like tigerdirect sell MCE separately now. For gaming it is pretty much identical to XP (it does lack multi cpu support, so if you have a X2 and if and when nVidia finalizes their dual core CPU support you won't see any advantages from it though, but the same goes if you have XP Home). In terms of drivers I find that regular XP drivers work just fine in MCE, no need to wait for MCE specific versions. To sum it up MCE is pretty much identical to XP Home with the addition of the media center app.

j0j081
09-30-05, 07:54 AM
I would be using it as my second OS because my tv card is still unsupported in 64 bit XP.

Peoples-Agent
09-30-05, 08:35 AM
I'll be going onto XP64 soon, I have a legit copy sat here as part of M$ upgrade program.
Waiting for them to iron out some more bugs, had some weird shut down issues with it last time I used it.