PDA

View Full Version : How common is stuttering in games?

snobdok
09-28-05, 06:00 PM
How common is the stuttering problem for people who have Nforce3/6800? I made a little poll where you can vote.

Only vote if you have Nforce3 + any 6800 card. One vote per IP.

http://snappoll.com/poll/36208.php

OWA
09-28-05, 06:20 PM
Like help forums, the results will probably be skewed since the people that have it are more likely to care and vote.

j0j081
09-29-05, 04:42 AM
I do not have it, unless I OC to far which isn't a bug imo.

nrs421
09-29-05, 07:53 AM
had it but i discovered it was a driver issue for me....once i changed the sound drivers, made sure the GART drivers were installed and of course the video card drivers it mostly disappeared

Peoples-Agent
09-29-05, 08:12 AM
Was for me till I realised I forgot I hadn't turned off McAfee, worried me for best part of 15 mins, terrible experience.

Nutty
09-29-05, 08:24 AM
Turning off the NV/ATI speedup hidden BIOS option fixed it for me. Before that I had to manually underclock my gpu to 350. Also with no-overclock the control panel would say 395 as default. Now it says 370 (which is correct) with that stupid BIOS option disabled.

joshua7
09-30-05, 02:41 PM
What is this? It is not a driver issue, not a virus problem, what are you talking about? :eek:
There is no solution for the problem! Not yet, at least.

OWA
09-30-05, 02:54 PM
What is this? It is not a driver issue, not a virus problem, what are you talking about? :eek:
There is no solution for the problem! Not yet, at least.
A lot of people don't have the issue and some that do, have it because of overclocking or some of the reasons mentioned already. So, are you saying those results aren't valid?

RealLifePixelShader
09-30-05, 04:30 PM
I do Call of Duty 2 did it for 2 min the first time I started it up.

Greg
09-30-05, 08:56 PM
I think 'stuttering' is a common symptom to a number of different problems. I've seen stuttering on different machines due to sound, motherboard and video drivers, also slow / misconfigured hard drive and lack of ram, background software like anti virus and firewall, and overclocking. You need to try and isolate the issue which sometimes involves testing different drivers, disabling hardware devices, disabling software or even swapping hardware components. Googling for your specific problem or describing your issue and system spec can pay off in helping yourself or others.

A good thing to do, is profile your stuttering. Did your HDD light flash when the stutter occured, then it could be due to hard drive performance or lack of ram. Does the game still stutter with no sound? Does the game stutter when set to lowest detail? Pop up task manager, does another task show more CPU access when the stutter occur? If the problem exist in one game, but not others, then it might be a game specific bug or issue and is less likely to be a general driver or hardware issue.