PDA

View Full Version : Game profiles

lee63
09-28-05, 09:53 PM
I have 4xAA and 8xAF set in NV control panel, my question is when I play a game like HL2 that has a game profile, does the game profile settings automatically overide my 4xAA and 8xAF when I load and play the game. Let me know if I dont make sense :confused:

rewt
09-28-05, 10:03 PM
Good question. I would think the Global settings take precedence over the profile. So if you had 4xAA 8xAF in Global and didn't edit the HL2 profile your settings would come out 4xAA 8xAF. I'm not really sure what would happen if you changed the HL2 profile to 8xSAA 16xAF however.

OWA
09-28-05, 10:10 PM
The application (game) profile overrides the global settings and in-game settings (well, it's supposed to) but in some of the drivers, there is a bug that sometimes allows the global settings to override the game specific one (I think that only happens in D3D, opengl is fine in all of them). Global settings get used when you don't have a specific profile defined.

macatak
09-28-05, 10:11 PM
yeah, i'm curiuos about these profiles, i've never bothered using them in the past because i just set my AA and AF settings in the in-game options but what has me wondering is what happens with a game like Far Cry where i set all my options in-game but the HDR is borked because the Far Cry profile is enabled, deleting or renaming the profile in the registry fixes the problem though.

rewt
09-28-05, 10:16 PM
78.05 still has a bug when I change AA in a game profile it changes the Global setting as well. So then I have to go back and change the Global again...

lee63
09-28-05, 10:17 PM
Good question. I would think the Global settings take precedence over the profile. So if you had 4xAA 8xAF in Global and didn't edit the HL2 profile your settings would come out 4xAA 8xAF. I'm not really sure what would happen if you changed the HL2 profile to 8xSAA 16xAF however. Thanx for the reply, I have posted this on other forums and noboby seems to know whats up :confused: So if you edit the profiles they take over the Global setting's, I guess that makes sense " I think" :confused:

OWA
09-28-05, 10:19 PM
78.05 still has a bug when I change AA in a game profile it changes the Global setting as well. So then I have to go back and change the Global again...
Yeah, that one (the global settings getting changed when you don't want it to be changed) is definitely still there. They only fixed the global overriding the application specific profile bug so far (Edit: in 78.03 and probably higher, that is).

rewt
09-28-05, 10:23 PM
Just ran a CS:S stress test. Global was set 2xQAA 2xAF, profile was 8xSAA 8xAF. When I ran the test it was definitely doing 8xSAA 8xAF. All the game settings were default (no aa, trilinear).

OWA
09-28-05, 10:27 PM
Right, that is the way it is supposed to work. Isn't that what you expected? I'm beginning to think I don't understand what y'all are discussing. :)

lee63
09-28-05, 10:29 PM
Just ran a CS:S stress test. Global was set 2xQAA 2xAF, profile was 8xSAA 8xAF. When I ran the test it was definitely doing 8xSAA 8xAF. All the game settings were default (no aa, trilinear). Ok now Im more confused, I just wana set my AA & AF in global and leave it alone but guess it dosnt work like that or does it? :rolleyes:

OWA
09-28-05, 10:33 PM
Actually, maybe I just got what y'all are questioning. Are y'all wondering what happens if the global is set to 4xAA / 8xAF (for example) but the game specific profile is set to application control?

rewt
09-28-05, 10:33 PM
Global gets used as long as you don't change settings in the profile. OWA said this just a minute ago.

Example:

If global is 4xAA 8xAF and HL2 profile is default (not changed); You will end up with 4xAA 8xAF

If global is 4xAA 8xAF and HL2 profile is set 8xS 8xAF; You will end up with 8xS 8xAF.

lee63
09-28-05, 10:38 PM
Global gets used as long as you don't change settings in the profile. OWA said this just a minute ago.

Example:

If global is 4xAA 8xAF and HL2 profile is default (not changed); You will end up with 4xAA 8xAF

If global is 4xAA 8xAF and HL2 profile is set 8xS 8xAF; You will end up with 8xS 8xAF. He did, I missed that sorry :o Ok I get it now thanx for the help :D

lee63
09-28-05, 10:43 PM
Actually, maybe I just got what y'all are questioning. Are y'all wondering what happens if the global is set to 4xAA / 8xAF (for example) but the game specific profile is set to application control? Yeh, thats what I was try to ask, sorry I didnt make myself clear.

rewt
09-28-05, 10:49 PM
Why would you check application controlled when you want 4xAA 8xAF using Global? Unless of course you were going to set 4xAA 8xAF in the game itself?

lee63
09-28-05, 10:54 PM
So the best thing to do Is mess around with the settings in Global until you find the right combo the game runs good with, and then set them in the game profile :D :D correct ?

rewt
09-28-05, 11:00 PM
lol

Just set 4xAA 8xAF in the game and be done with it :p Oh, but make sure your Global profile is set to application controlled. And don't check any boxes in the game profile.

macatak
09-28-05, 11:05 PM
I've seen it mentioned a few times that it's better to use the in-game setting for your AA & AF settings rather than via the CP anyway :)

lee63
09-28-05, 11:06 PM
lol

Just set 4xAA 8xAF in the game and be done with it :p Oh, but make sure your Global profile is set to application controlled. And don't check any boxes in the game profile.
Think Im just gonna stick with Global and be done with it :D some games dont have the settings Global does :thumbdwn: Thanx for the help ;)

lee63
09-28-05, 11:07 PM
I've seen it mentioned a few times that it's better to use the in-game setting for your AA & AF settings rather than via the CP anyway :) Is that true ?

rewt
09-28-05, 11:09 PM
Yeah I'll use in-game settings first if at all possible. If there is no in-game settings then I'll use the Global profile in the CP. I never really made too much use of the game profiles myself.

macatak
09-28-05, 11:58 PM
Is that true ?
I did a test with HL2, took screenies with no AA, 4AA in-game, 4AA CP/no AA in-game and it was quite obvious that in-game was the far better option. I only tried it with one set of drivers though.